• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm Not Cool With Stylez Getting Banned

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wrightme wrote:
Citizen wrote:
wrightme wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Tesla Foo?
Wouldn't that be Telsa Fu?

Man, chu gotta go messin' up his joke?

We don't need none of your static around here.

:)
Ohhh....... :lol:
You sure have lots of capacity for this.....
:D

When I'm not doing this, I like to attend a fair a day.

But it is fun to spark discussion.
:)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Let us not forget the military bearing grease, a gallon of latex paint thinner or the keys to the sea chest. Then again, I remember wrapping a guy in aluminum foil and having him spin around on the bow of the ship so we could "tune the radar". Also remember sending a guy out on the flight deck with a boat hook so he could get the mail bag off the Mail Bouy when we passed it.

good times...

Tomahawk

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Also remember sending a guy out on the flight deck with a boat hook so he could get the mail bag off the Mail Bouy when we passed it.

good times...

Yes, I recall that prank, foisted on a young Marine Pfc, and on a very large amphib where you would need a very large hook indeed...

One time one of the Harrier gun squadrons at Cherry Point sent a newb out to collect an engine exhaust sample...in a MAF bag (it's a type of ziplock plastic bag used for attaching maintenance papers to equipment). This poor kid actually went out and dutifully stood far behind a screaming attack jet's nozzlesholding the bag open, and zipped it shut to carry it back to the hangar. He apparently didn't think anything of the fact that most of the squadron's Marines were standing in the hangar door laughing at something. After he was told the sample was insufficient, he went back out there again, while the jet was still high-powered, and got as close as he dared. He stank of jet fuel, but he got the sample!

I'm pretty sure all sorts of rules were broken that day, but the Harrier pilots who command those squadrons are actually crazier than the Marines who maintain their jets, so it didn't surprise me.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Marine pilots gotta be crazy to do what they do in the first place. My dad was in flight school when I was born in Pensacola in 1965. He retired in 1989 after 32 years. He did quite a bit of helicopter flying including a couple years in Vietnam. Shot down 3 times (2 of them were "walking distance" from their own base). He told me stories that made me lose sleep when I was younger. I'm glad he's still around to talk about it, but he doesn't very often.:(

wrightme

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Marine pilots gotta be crazy to do what they do in the first place. My dad was in flight school when I was born in Pensacola in 1965. He retired in 1989 after 32 years. He did quite a bit of helicopter flying including a couple years in Vietnam. Shot down 3 times (2 of them were "walking distance" from their own base). He told me stories that made me lose sleep when I was younger. I'm glad he's still around to talk about it, but he doesn't very often.:(
Have you considered working with him on either an audio or video history?

wrightme

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
That's a good idea. I don't know really where to start, but I'll talk to him about it.

Thanks for the idea!

Mike
It is possible that a local veteran's group may have ideas for you. Is there VFW or Am Legion near? I have no experience with oral histories, but another resource may be genealogy groups.

Local vet groups might already be collecting oral histories.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thank you, TFred. I may get one of those hidden video/audio recorders I saw on another post. it may make it easier if he doesn't know its being recorded.