• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is carrying a shotgun like this legal?

hometheaterman

imported post

So I'm thinking of buying a shotgun from a guy about 3 hours away. He is actually a LEO so not sure why I didn't think to ask him. Anyway, what I was wondering is if I go to Wal-Mart and buy one of those plastic hard cases is it legal to put the shotgun in that and then put the case with the gun in it in the trunk of the car. I don't have a CCW btw so that's why I'm wondering if it's okay if I do this? What's the best way to legally transport a gun in this situation?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Just wrap it in something or put it in a case in the trunk. (unloaded of course) That's what the law says to do.:) Also, a CHP does NOT cover the concealed carrying of long guns. Just so you knew that. That is why it's called a "Concealed HANDGUN Permit." I hope this helps you out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

To transport a shotgun within the state, it does have to be unloaded but not inaccessable. It may be in a gun rack (truck), back seat or front seat - cased or uncased. I do not recommend throwing a blanket over it.

During bird season, I travel all over the state with a racked shotgun - never any problems even when going through traffic check points.

The law referring to secured (in truck, locked case, etc) is for interstate (passing through) travel and does not IMO apply for intra-state travel in Va.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Just wrap it in something or put it in a case in the trunk. (unloaded of course) That's what the law says to do.:) Also, a CHP does NOT cover the concealed carrying of long guns. Just so you knew that. That is why it's called a "Concealed HANDGUN Permit." I hope this helps you out.
A CHP would be required for a shotgun under the circumstances enumerated below.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.
It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Yata hey