• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parks still O.K. in Green Bay

Yooper

imported post

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=11030977

It will remain legal to openly carry guns in public parks within Green Bay city limits. City leaders made that decision at Tuesday night after hearing passionate debate from gun rights advocates.
The city council decided to shelve any future action on a proposal to ban guns in city parks. The council says it's just not an issue that should be debated at the local level.
The debate started after a picnic at Ted Fritsch Park last month where about 90 people celebrated their right to openly carry weapons in a public park.
The mayor said he talked with staff and asked the law department to write an ordinance banning open-carry in city parks.
Most people who oppose the ban feel the city is trying to infringe on their constitutional rights. One man even handed the council copies of the Constitution to make his point.
Of those who addressed the council, every speaker opposed the proposal except one.
"What I'm asking you is, where is the money coming from that's going to defend you individually and collectively against the lawsuits that will follow when you enact something as inane and stupid as this?" open-carry supporter Rick Jerry said.
"You're inventing a problem and promoting fear. This is a blatant attack on our rights, and you know it," Jeff Stordock said.
"If people are going to start having guns in parks to prove that they can carry a gun, I don't understand that," opponent Taku Ronsman said, "because you can go to places where they have target practice, hunting, there are appropriate places for guns."
Since the council decided to receive and place this on file, effectively nothing happens from now on. If another group wants to hold an open-carry picnic like the one last month, they still legally can.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

A big thanks goes out to all who showed up and voiced their support. It was nice to hear the Aldermen echoing our position that this is a right not to be infringed. There was also alot of criticism by Council members regarding the timing of this after an orderly picnic.