• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped by a nieghbor lady.

Michigander

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Oakland County Sheriff’s deputies
We have an open offer from Sheriff Bouchard himself to inquire with him about any problems or potential problems regarding open carrying within Oakland County.

A media report is not evidence of anything at all really, but this leaves open the potential that the OCSD is unaware that longarm OC is both legal and preempted, so long as it doesn't constitute brandishing.

The department needs to be contacted for sure about this. After we learn what happened from the Sheriff's department, it may become necessary to contact the MSP and the Oak Park police. Of course it could be that they had legit RAS, but I doubt it, because there was no reported crime. Either way, we need to get to the bottom of it.

Michigander

imported post

I also gotta add that I give more credibility to the Sheriff's Department and the MSP than I do to Royal Oak Township, because that place is very screwed up, but with the story as it's presented, it definitely seems to call for contacting them. Even if this guy was a no good punk, we don't need police thinking that LGOC is illegal.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Michigander wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Oakland County Sheriff’s deputies
We have an open offer from Sheriff Bouchard himself to inquire with him about any problems or potential problems regarding open carrying within Oakland County.

A media report is not evidence of anything at all really, but this leaves open the potential that the OCSD is unaware that longarm OC is both legal and preempted, so long as it doesn't constitute brandishing.

The department needs to be contacted for sure about this. After we learn what happened from the Sheriff's department, it may become necessary to contact the MSP and the Oak Park police. Of course it could be that they had legit RAS, but I doubt it, because there was no reported crime. Either way, we need to get to the bottom of it.
+1, I seem to agree with you often. :D

I have been considering OC for a Long Gun, just not sure what I think/feel about it personally. I believe it is our right and should be exercised how/when/why someone decides to. For the time being, I will be OC'ing my pistols until I have made a decision.

Ruckus

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:

My gun was hanging out there for all to see. I OC all the time because my present gun isnearly impossible to CC without printing due to it's size,and in the summer I wear tank tops to prevent overheating.If it's cool enough to wear a lite jacket I CC.Besides I prefer to advertise our rights. I've had at least 8 people ask about me carrying in the last 2 months so I give them our flyer and some quick info. Thank You and God Bless!
Awesome! Way to stay persistent and to not let the gestapo tactics of the WPD deter you my friend.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Ethan_Frome wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:

My gun was hanging out there for all to see. I OC all the time because my present gun isnearly impossible to CC without printing due to it's size,and in the summer I wear tank tops to prevent overheating.If it's cool enough to wear a lite jacket I CC.Besides I prefer to advertise our rights. I've had at least 8 people ask about me carrying in the last 2 months so I give them our flyer and some quick info. Thank You and God Bless!
Awesome! Way to stay persistent and to not let the gestapo tactics of the WPD deter you my friend.
I carry to stay alive,the PD because it's their job,I am right and they are left,left with an anti-gun fantasy to rule they're actions. My wife worries the PD may accidently kill me,I know that's always an extremely distant possibility. My first duty is to defend myself and that is what I must do.That IS THE POINT!

Haman J.T.

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Ham, could it be that the lady that talked to you was making a tacit apology for calling out the dogs in the first place? Seems that she made contact with you AFTER she felt reassured that you were not a crook. Just wondering.springerdave.
I had the feeling that might be what was happening when we were done talking,although it seemed like the " my friend has a problem " type of aproach.I'll just be optimistic about it and accept that was what happened!

Michigander

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
My wife worries the PD may accidently kill me,I know that's always an extremely distant possibility. !
Thinking that also, I've actually considered getting a plate vest, but I've always told myself it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Still might do it, because there have been a disturbing number of cops who have pointed guns at us, and vests can be had pretty cheaply if you shop around. :?

Haman J.T.

imported post

Michigander wrote:
hamaneggs wrote:
My wife worries the PD may accidently kill me,I know that's always an extremely distant possibility. !
Thinking that also, I've actually considered getting a plate vest, but I've always told myself it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Still might do it, because there have been a disturbing number of cops who have pointed guns at us, and vests can be had pretty cheaply if you shop around. :?
I've also thought of that,except I started first by going to a kevlar company site to price the protective kevlar,which is $20-$50 per square yard.And I would be interested in finding a recipe for the plates and make my own.Ofcourse I would be testing anything that I was able to cook up!