• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting with a handgun

CaptainFinn

imported post

I have a question about hunting with a handgun. (Specifically during deer season--firearm, antlered and antlerless.)

I know a small-arms permit is required in addition to the standard permitand the firearm must be .357 or greater for straight-walled cartridges, and .24 or greater for bottleneck cartridges.

Several co-workers that hunt are insisting that if you carry a handgun (with a small-arms permit), that you CANNOT carry a rifle as well. In other words, you cannot carry a handgun and a rifle at the same time during gun season for deer. They say that the only exception in if you have a CCW and you are carrying the handgun for self-defense--and in this case, the hangun cannot be used for hunting purposes.

. I have been unable to find anything in the state hunting regulations about this, but the guys I work with are being quite vocal about it, insisting that you cannot carry more then one firearm when hunting, even on private property.

Anyone have any insight on this ?

alntht

imported post

I don't see that in the regulations either. Although it is .357 magnum, not just .357.

Best to call the DNR I would imagine.

So does that mean you can't hunt with a Colt 1911?

CaptainFinn

imported post

I read it as caliber must be .357 inch or greater...I believe it also states that the firearm must have a 4" barrel as well. A 1911 full-sized pistol has a 5" barrel so that would be okay.

I hunt with a Ruger .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel, but like I said, I've had three different people say that you can't have a rifle and a handgun on your person whilst hunting unless you are carrying the handgun as a CCW piece (and have a concealed carry license).

I can't find it mentioned anywhere in the WV hunting/trapping rules and regs either, but like I said, several experienced hunters have all told me carrying two firearms is a no-no.

alntht

imported post

Ok, so I have emailed the Law Enforcement email provided at wvdnr.gov. I'll let you know what they say.

alntht

imported post

I haven't heard anything back yet. Imagine a governmental office in WV not being Johny on the spot with information...inconceivable.

alntht

imported post

All I can say is ROFL!! I wasn't expecting a dissertation, but maybe a bit more than the answer they gave. LOL (emailed law@wvdnr.gov btw)

My Email:
Hello,

I have a question regarding the number of firearms one is allowed to carry into the woods for hunting. If I were to have the proper licensing, could I carry an approved hunting rifle, and an approved hunting pistol into the woods at the same time? Thank you for your time.

Their Answer:

Yes.

Nothing like getting strait to the point! :celebrate

virginiatuck

imported post

alntht wrote:
All I can say is ROFL!! I wasn't expecting a dissertation, but maybe a bit more than the answer they gave. LOL (emailed law@wvdnr.gov btw)

My Email:
Hello,

I have a question regarding the number of firearms one is allowed to carry into the woods for hunting. If I were to have the proper licensing, could I carry an approved hunting rifle, and an approved hunting pistol into the woods at the same time? Thank you for your time.

Their Answer:

Yes.

Nothing like getting strait to the point! :celebrate
They've got to conserve those valuable Internets. :D

"And again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material." -- Fmr. Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska)