Thread: Doug's Shootin' Sports Free Range For 1 Month

Post imported post

I was talking to Dave last night at Doug's Shootin' Sports. Starting yesterday, their range will be free for 1 month to anybody who wants to shoot. They have totally re-done their range. A new airflow system that is awesome. New cinder block walls between shooting stations to prevent you being hit by the next person's brass. The walls are painted white to make it easier to see down range. There are lines on the walls starting at 10 feet away, and are spaced 5 feet apart so you can tell how far your target is. It's a great place to shoot, and as a thank you to their customers, it is free to shoot there for the next month. So head in and check out the new range. It is located about 4900 S. Redwood Road.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

looks awesome! I will have to go try it out! :celebrate
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

My wife and myself have been there a few times.

Post imported post

Thanks for the heads up! I think I will try to get over there for a lunch shoot this week!

Post imported post

Awesome I am taking the wife shooting.
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

I took the liberty of using the new range yesterday. It's a nice place. It's much better than the old range they had. Your targets stay in place, and don't move around once you put them out where you want them. I didn't notice any smell of gun powder as I did before. The new air system gets that air flowin' in a big way. I would go back tonight if I didn't have other obligations to attend to, but hey, I can go tomorrow, right? :P

Post imported post

Sweet! This is awesome! Doug's is usually where I go to shoot anyway. They definitely needed this overhaul in a big way. I once saw a pile of brass catch on fire down there before they fixed it up lol. Everyone dived for cover in case there was unspent rounds in the pile lol I remember the lady next to me saying that she didn't want to become a statistic practicing at the range. hehehhe I'm glad they spent the money and invested in the improvements. I will definitely be going soon.

Kevin
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

Looks like they did a great job on a range that was in desperate need. It's the range closest to home and a shame that I won't be home to take advantage of this free month.

I can make one correction, the dividers are not cinder block. I can't tell what's inside the walls but that is only facing in the photos. Real block would not have a seam running down the corners. So, it may stop brass but I wouldn't rely on it stopping bullets.

Bullets in the fire is a common misconception. Bullets require the expanding force of burning gunpowder being channeled in a single direction down the barrel for them to achieve lethal force. Bullets in a fire are just firecrackers. On the one occasion that I have see it, (.223 tracer round) the brass and bullet were less than 3 feet apart. In fact, the burning force of the phosphorous pushed the bullet further than the powder did. Now, I would never start or suggest throwing bullets in a fire but I also wouldn't go running for cover if someone else did.

Post imported post

Francis Marion wrote:
    Bullets in the fire is a common misconception. Bullets require the expanding force of burning gunpowder being channeled in a single direction down the barrel for them to achieve lethal force. Bullets in a fire are just firecrackers. On the one occasion that I have see it, (.223 tracer round) the brass and bullet were less than 3 feet apart. In fact, the burning force of the phosphorous pushed the bullet further than the powder did. Now, I would never start or suggest throwing bullets in a fire but I also wouldn't go running for cover if someone else did.
    True. If someone were to throw some ammunition in the fire, I would still at least move away a good distance. The shrapnel from the case exploding can still hurt, if not take out an eye or something.

Post imported post

Well, at the shooting range you should have already been wearing eye protection:P

Post imported post

That's one of the nicest indoor ranges I've ever seen.

Post imported post

Get-Some used to have a very nice range but I never felt really safe there looking at all the bullet holes in the walls all the way back to the firing line. I look forward to a good range so close to home.

Post imported post

Hopefully if the range is open tomorrow, I will show up for a little while and toss a little lead downrange.

Post imported post

Went to Doug's today with my g/f, her brother and his date. Had a great time shooting our .22's, her 9mm, and the .45 pictured below. There were quite a few people there, but wasn't overcrowded. Anybody else show up today?

Post imported post

I am guessing that this is open for the month of September, free?

Thoughts - Thanks in Advance!

Post imported post

Pedman wrote:
    I am guessing that this is open for the month of September, free?

Thoughts - Thanks in Advance!
    It is free for September only. So time is running out. It's usually $8.

Post imported post

never mind the first question