• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doug's Shootin' Sports Free Range For 1 Month

mqondo

imported post

I was talking to Dave last night at Doug's Shootin' Sports. Starting yesterday, their range will be free for 1 month to anybody who wants to shoot. They have totally re-done their range. A new airflow system that is awesome. New cinder block walls between shooting stations to prevent you being hit by the next person's brass. The walls are painted white to make it easier to see down range. There are lines on the walls starting at 10 feet away, and are spaced 5 feet apart so you can tell how far your target is. It's a great place to shoot, and as a thank you to their customers, it is free to shoot there for the next month. So head in and check out the new range. It is located about 4900 S. Redwood Road.
dougs03.jpg

dougs04.jpg

dougs02.jpg

dougs01.jpg

mqondo

imported post

I took the liberty of using the new range yesterday. It's a nice place. It's much better than the old range they had. Your targets stay in place, and don't move around once you put them out where you want them. I didn't notice any smell of gun powder as I did before. The new air system gets that air flowin' in a big way. I would go back tonight if I didn't have other obligations to attend to, but hey, I can go tomorrow, right? :p

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Sweet! This is awesome! Doug's is usually where I go to shoot anyway. They definitely needed this overhaul in a big way. I once saw a pile of brass catch on fire down there before they fixed it up lol. Everyone dived for cover in case there was unspent rounds in the pile lol :) I remember the lady next to me saying that she didn't want to become a statistic practicing at the range. hehehhe I'm glad they spent the money and invested in the improvements. I will definitely be going soon.

Kevin

Francis Marion

imported post

Looks like they did a great job on a range that was in desperate need. It's the range closest to home and a shame that I won't be home to take advantage of this free month.

I can make one correction, the dividers are not cinder block. I can't tell what's inside the walls but that is only facing in the photos. Real block would not have a seam running down the corners. So, it may stop brass but I wouldn't rely on it stopping bullets.

Bullets in the fire is a common misconception. Bullets require the expanding force of burning gunpowder being channeled in a single direction down the barrel for them to achieve lethal force. Bullets in a fire are just firecrackers. On the one occasion that I have see it, (.223 tracer round) the brass and bullet were less than 3 feet apart. In fact, the burning force of the phosphorous pushed the bullet further than the powder did. Now, I would never start or suggest throwing bullets in a fire but I also wouldn't go running for cover if someone else did.

mqondo

imported post

Francis Marion wrote:
Bullets in the fire is a common misconception. Bullets require the expanding force of burning gunpowder being channeled in a single direction down the barrel for them to achieve lethal force. Bullets in a fire are just firecrackers. On the one occasion that I have see it, (.223 tracer round) the brass and bullet were less than 3 feet apart. In fact, the burning force of the phosphorous pushed the bullet further than the powder did. Now, I would never start or suggest throwing bullets in a fire but I also wouldn't go running for cover if someone else did.
True. If someone were to throw some ammunition in the fire, I would still at least move away a good distance. The shrapnel from the case exploding can still hurt, if not take out an eye or something.

Francis Marion

imported post

Get-Some used to have a very nice range but I never felt really safe there looking at all the bullet holes in the walls all the way back to the firing line. I look forward to a good range so close to home.

mqondo

imported post

Hopefully if the range is open tomorrow, I will show up for a little while and toss a little lead downrange.

mqondo

imported post

Went to Doug's today with my g/f, her brother and his date. Had a great time shooting our .22's, her 9mm, and the .45 pictured below. There were quite a few people there, but wasn't overcrowded. Anybody else show up today?

mqondo

imported post

Pedman wrote:
I am guessing that this is open for the month of September, free?

Thoughts - Thanks in Advance!
It is free for September only. So time is running out. It's usually $8.