• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I found this puzzling

old dog

imported post

[align=left][/align]When I was firing for qualification for a carry permit of course I tried to fire as tight a group as possible.

Imagine my surprise when the young lady conducting the class told me that was wrong. She said she needed to see 50 holes in the silhouette. So I shot it that way, scattering 50 rounds all over the place and receiving a perfect score.

My question is: 1) what does this have to do with proficiency, and
2)has anyone else encountered this?

I realize this is of no consequence but I found it curious.

N00blet45

imported post

Perhaps she was trying to make it easier on herself to score you.

It is my belief that most "qualification" tests in regards to state issued carry licenses are just there to make money for the state. They are usually so ridiculously easy that anyone can qualify.

In Kentucky my mom was interested in getting a concealed carry permit. According to the tester all she needed to do to show proficiency was to hit a chest sized target seven feet away 11 times out of 20 shots.

AZkopper

imported post

Here in AZ, I believe a CWP appliant must fire 5 rounds at 15 feet, and 5 rounds at 30 feet, with a 70% accuracy rate overall for the 10 rounds.

Personally, I prefer an easy qualification, to ensure as many as possible can excercise their "legislated right" (??!??), as opposed to making it some uber-marksman qualification, which would serve to deny people the option of carrying concealed.

A $65 state processing fee, an 8 hour class on legal matters, a 10 round basic qual, a $10 fingerprint card, and a $100-150 class, and 75 days to wait for a bureaucrat to push paper is way to much government for "shall not be infringed", but I've seen a lot worse. Here's hoping "Constitutional Carry" passes next year (as it would have this year, had the budget fiasco screwed it up last session).

smoking357

Banned
imported post

old dog wrote:
When I was firing for qualification for a carry permit of course I tried to fire as tight a group as possible.

Imagine my surprise when the young lady conducting the class told me that was wrong. She said she needed to see 50 holes in the silhouette. So I shot it that way, scattering 50 rounds all over the place and receiving a perfect score.

Here are two eternal truths of what we do:

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. -Bill Jordan

There's always time to aim.

The lady is flat wrong. Always aim, and if you have to shoot, you'll have less of a chance of hitting something you don't want to put holes in.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Food for thought...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/248338/blind_man_who_has_concealed_weapons_pg2.html

Blind Man Who Has Concealed Weapons Permit Still at Center of Gun Debate

McWilliams admits that becoming a successful writer is difficult, but so is dealing with blindness. He lost his eyesight at age 10 during a medical mystery of headaches and gradual eye deterioration. McWilliams reads Braille, uses a cane, and shoots his AK47, even though it was his .357 magnum that was fired for his permits.

architect

imported post

Why didn't you just shoot this pattern?

oooooooo ooooooo
o o o
o o o
ooooooo o o
o o o
o o o
ooooooo ooooooo

I think that would show sufficient proficiency! Probably stop the BG too.

Carnivore

imported post

I think it mainly depends on the class size, range size and how many weapons are available.In the class I attended, there was one fella that painstakingly aimed every shot to stay in the 10 ring, I guess it was for self satisfaction, because all who hit 10 in the silouhette passed the shooting session, maybe he was looking to win a stuffed teddy bear, I don't know:banghead:but it did drag out the timeframe needed for the other shooters.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I was required to shoot a double tap, one to head,one to groin, then repeat for a specific number of rounds, right and left handwhile doingtac reloads.

Other people I know were required to to shoot as fast as they could while maintaining control of the pistol until their mag was empty or all rounds in their revolver was spent. All rounds were required to hit an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper at 7 yards.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

old dog wrote:
When I was firing for qualification for a carry permit of course I tried to fire as tight a group as possible.

Mind filling in your location? I'd like to know where this is that 50 holes have to be in a target.

It is a total joke. The anti's just like to make it seem to the rest of the world that they are forcing you to do their bidding with something complicated. 'Qualification tests.' Oooo they must be doing something useful there...

Testing the most firearm proficient people on earth with a test that a monkey could pass... All it really proves is that shooting is easy and effective, and pretty much anyone can do it.

I'd really hate to meet the person who couldn't pass these 'tests.' I'm not sure such a person even exists.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Food for thought...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/248338/blind_man_who_has_concealed_weapons_pg2.html

Blind Man Who Has Concealed Weapons Permit Still at Center of Gun Debate

McWilliams admits that becoming a successful writer is difficult, but so is dealing with blindness. He lost his eyesight at age 10 during a medical mystery of headaches and gradual eye deterioration. McWilliams reads Braille, uses a cane, and shoots his AK47, even though it was his .357 magnum that was fired for his permits.
I'm legally blind, but my glasses correct my vision to 20/20.

Being 'blind' in the eyes of the law is not as bad as it sounds. Even legally blind, I can still see pedestrians, other cars, motorycles, etc. I can drive just as effectively as with my glasses on. I can't read signs, but I can see them. This is far more than enough vision to use a firearm safely and effectively.

I'm not sure how bad his eyesight really is, but 'blind' is often misconstrued as 'can't see a damn thing' and that simply isn't true in most cases.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ixtow wrote:
fired for his permits.
I'm legally blind, but my glasses correct my vision to 20/20.

Being 'blind' in the eyes of the law is not as bad as it sounds. Even legally blind, I can still see pedestrians, other cars, motorycles, etc. I can drive just as effectively as with my glasses on. I can't read signs, but I can see them. This is far more than enough vision to use a firearm safely and effectively.

I'm not sure how bad his eyesight really is, but 'blind' is often misconstrued as 'can't see a damn thing' and that simply isn't true in most cases.
I'm in the same boat ixtow. My right eye will correct to 20/20 but my left eye jumps back and forth from 20/30-20/50, lazy-eye I guess it is. That's amazing your vision corrects to 20/20. My doctors over the years, many by the way, have told me there's nothing that can be done with my eyes. And yes, the bifocals really suck a big one.

45acpForMe

imported post

When I took my CHP here in Virginia they said you had to hit the target 70% of the time of 50 shots. (35 of 50 for the math challenged)

We shot at 3 yard, 7 yards and 15 yards.

both hands, right handed,left handed

double tap, off target repeat

The 15 yards left handed made me nervous but I was able to get a 100% score.

Prior to shooting I had asked the instructor, "What happens if we shoot through the same hole?" and he laughed but said if you are concentrating all your fire to the same spot creating a larger hole he would give you the benefit of the doubt.

A couple other amusing side notes. This was the second time I shot my new (1st) pistol so I wasn't that familiar with it. The woman to the left of me shot once (maybe into the ceiling) put the gun down and walked out. She was shaking and said she never wanted to shoot another gun. The guy to the right of me was creating a very large hole in the center of the target and made me jealous. The man to the right of him was loading the bullets in backwards. After the instructor finally showed him how to load the magazine I believe he shot the wrong target a lane over (while aiming at his target mind you).

I hope that guy gets some practice but don't want to be anywhere near him while he gets it. :uhoh:

Deanimator

imported post

When I took the class for my Ohio license, shooting at 7 yards with my Glock 19 was so easy that I ran out of shootable area on the target. I started shooting at the copywrite, the NRA logo, and anything else I could use as an aiming point.

wrightme

imported post

Frankly, this sounds like an instructor who feels some 'need' to see all 50 holes to 'prove' that 50 rounds were fired and hit the target.
If it were me doing that course, the guy who obliterated the 9/10ring area with 50 shots does not need to 'prove' they used all 50 rounds. :lol:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wrightme wrote:
Frankly, this sounds like an instructor who feels some 'need' to see all 50 holes to 'prove' that 50 rounds were fired and hit the target.
If it were me doing that course, the guy who obliterated the 9/10ring area with 50 shots does not need to 'prove' they used all 50 rounds. :lol:
It is probably less about the instructor, and more about whatever govcrim it has to be shown to. I'd hate to lose my job as an instructor because some asshat politician "just can't beleive" that people can put 50 rounds into a half-dollar.....

rodbender

imported post

When I took my CHL class the instructor informed us that if we putall rounds in the 8 ring of the silhouette from 3 and 7 yards, we pass. I shot at the trees behind the target from 15 yards, on purpose. He never caught on.

There was a lady there that had never picked up a handgun before and passed, no problem.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Gee all I had to do was put down my $60 and a set of fingerprints, but the Washington permit is one of the easiest in the country to get. No classes, no tests, no live fire drills, etc...