• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 36 or Taurus PT-745?

dshelman

imported post

I'd settled on a .45acp for stopping power, and the profile of a Glock 36 for concealability. Today, I stumbled on the Taurus PT-745 with many of the same attributes as the Glock.

Anyone have any guidance one way or t'other?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Marco

imported post

There is also the KahrTP, P, PM ,CW, Springfield XDcompact andChampion, Taurus 24/7, S&W M&P45C, Bersa Thunder and Para Ord PDAjust to name a few compact models.

Depending on your budget.

Of the two models you spoke of, I would choose the Glock only because of QC, resalevalue and holster availability.

Have you shoot either firearm?
If so, which did you like/shoot better?
Which is in your price range?

After the purchase will you have enough $$ to buy ammo to insure the firearm is reliable before you carry it for SD?

Just my $0.02.

45acpForMe

imported post

I like my Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro. It fits in my pocket with a pocket holster andis 10+1. So if you are looking for compact/smaller concealable guns consider the above. I believe some of the new Taurus' have double strike capability, so that is something to consider.

As far as accuracy the Taurus definitely isn't as accurate as my Sig's but for a SD gun and concealability I like it. On the other side I have never been a Glock fan. Whichever gun feels better, size, grip concealability is the one you want since you will carry it more. The Glock would probably win out on accuracy but my Taurus makes a nice .45 BUG!

dshelman

imported post

A part of my criteria is bang for the buck.For $150 less, unless it's got problems, it may make a good starter weapon. However, I'd be interested if someone has negative experience with it. I don't want to have an unsafe weapon to save a few bucks.

From some YouTube videos I've seen, it appears that it CAN be an accurate weapon, at least within typical SD ranges.

Thanks, again, to everyone for their input! I DO appreciate it.

Dsh

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I guess I don't have anything specific to say against Taurus. While I own one of their revolvers I generally distrust their automatics. I guess it's just a personal preference thing.

I've had my Glock for about 9 years now and exept for some holster wear it looks and shoots as well as the day I got it. The beauty of Glock is their utter reliability and their simplicity. They generally have in or around 37 parts in the entire gun so there isn't very mush to break.

Here is a sight picture from the Taurus. I think I'd go nuts having to use these sights but that's just me.

cimg4541yz9.th.jpg

45acpForMe

imported post

dshelman wrote:
...However, I'd be interested if someone has negative experience with it.
My only negative with my PT145 was the slide catch would slip when I tried to pull the takedown pin. After about two months of dealing with it I decided to send it to Taurus to get it fixed. They sent FedX to pick it up, fixed it (1 month), and sent it back FedX all at their cost. I know some people complain about their Customer Service but I thought it was pretty good. As to the month to repair, it took longer to repair my NAA 32acp when the trigger broke.

I like the PT145 so much I bought a second one and keep it in a lock box in my car. So if I ever can't OC or CC, I have one near by in the car. If anyone steals it, I would much rather be out $400 than the $950 for my Sig. :)

Bustelo5%

imported post

I say hands down the Glock 36 for the reason of great reviews availability of products to fit your gun,the proven torture tests of how Bad Ass Glock is. I have a Glock 21 Sierra Foxtrot which is really awesome. I think you can interchange the magazines fromt he 21 and 36 you might wanna pick up one of those for a random time you might need it.
Also dont shoot any remanufactured ammo out of it unless you buy an after market berrel.

tcmech

imported post

I carry a glock 36 most of the time and it is definitely my favorite handgun. I have never shot a taurus 45, but I do have a couple of PT92's and a model 85 that have always functioned for me, but I have never shot them as much as I have the g36, and my g17.

I would get whatever you feel the most comfortable with, one thing I will point out though is you cannot use a mag from any other glock in a 36, the 36 is a single stack 45 acp unlike all of the other glocks which are double stacks.

Bustelo5%

imported post

ohh thanks for inputting that I am a new glock user and I had no clue I thought the 36 was a double stack.
Go and shoot both of them back to back and see what you think.Also have your loved one or kid who ever will also may be shooting it see how they like or dislike either.

KansasMustang

imported post

Just me sayin' it. Taurus is a dang fine weapon for the $$. 've never been fond of Glocks. But again, it's just my opinion. I've owned Rugers, Smiths, Taurus, and a few others. And for the money, I've never had a bit of trouble, 'cept figurin out why some want more for their weapons than others?

Hef

imported post

I own and carry a 2006 model PT745C Millenium Pro. Mine has the stainless slide. I bought 2 extra mags for it (total of 4). I have been very happy with my Taurus.

I've put about 1500 rounds through it without a malfunction. In addition to it's reliability, it also fits easily in my pocket, which is quite useful during the Carolina Low Country summers.

Being that it's a fairly light .45ACP handgun with a 3.25" barrel, I don't expect it to shoot very well beyond typical self-defense engagement range. That's the trade-off for concealability.

When I don't have to worry as much about concealment, I prefer to carry my 1911.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I would defintly shoot that 36 first before you even think about taking it outo f the store. I shot the Glock 17 9mm and the glock 21 back to back and the the 21 had less recoil. I think the full size frame absorbes more of the recoil. So you may feel more comfortable with the Taurus.

smash29

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I say hands down the Glock 36 for the reason of great reviews availability of products to fit your gun,the proven torture tests of how Bad Ass Glock is. I have a Glock 21 Sierra Foxtrot which is really awesome. I think you can interchange the magazines fromt he 21 and 36 you might wanna pick up one of those for a random time you might need it.
Also dont shoot any remanufactured ammo out of it unless you buy an after market berrel.
21and 36 mags ARE NOT interchangeable.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smash29 wrote:
Bustelo5% wrote:
21and 36 mags ARE NOT interchangeable.
Yea, I think he meant 21 and 30 mags.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I have never owneed either of the firearms you are considering, But I have seen somean issuewith Taurus and their "Customer No-Service" department.

I had a friend buy his first handgun, a taurus 7-shot revolver in .357, it turns out that the cylinder or the frame was not machined correctly and the clearance between the two parts was insufficient. the cylinder would jam when ammunition was loaded. He called customer service, they told him 8-12 weeks after he ships it back, it would be returned. He had a fit. The customer service rep got the work expedited for him, 3 weeks later the revolver is returned, same problem, nothing fixed, anda work order stating "Yoke Adjusted"

He called and returned it again, he then waited 6 weeks this time to get it back, same thing stated on the work order, andvery littleimprovement in the gun. The case-head stillrubs on the frame and makes the trigger pull excessive as it grinds off the brass on the stainless frame.

Isuggest you spending time andresearching customer service experiences with both makes of guns you want, so you do not catch a case of "buyers remorse".

I am sure Glack has some stories of dissatisfied customers too, but I never had a friend voice any complaints about Glock. (except the early .40 S&W calibers)

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I have carried a PT 745 most every day for the last 2 years, 1200+- rds thru it, all kinds ofdifferent ammo no failures to feed or fire. The only problem I have had is some surface rust on the top left side of the slide where it is up against my skin 12 + hours a day, the Galco Walkabout holster (#226) does not cover that part of the gun. I also like the manual safety that glocks do not have, after all it is in my pants.

Orphan

45acpForMe

imported post

Orphan wrote:
... I also like the manual safety that glocks do not have, after all it is in my pants.
+1

Mine rides in my pocket and I wouldn't feel comfortable having one in the chamber except for thethumb safety.

I keep one in the chamber of my Sig P220 also, but it rides in a holster pointing away from any private parts!

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
I guess I don't have anything specific to say against Taurus.  While I own one of their revolvers I generally distrust their automatics.  I guess it's just a personal preference thing. 

I've had my Glock for about 9 years now and exept for some holster wear it looks and shoots as well as the day I got it.  The beauty of Glock is their utter reliability and their simplicity.  They generally have in or around 37 parts in the entire gun so there isn't very mush to break.

Here is a sight picture from the Taurus.  I think I'd go nuts having to use these sights but that's just me. 

cimg4541yz9.th.jpg

Agreed on Taurus's autos. Their revolvers are actually not that bad, and if you are looking for a good nightstand gun for the wife, Taurus is a great buy.

As for those figure 8 sights, don't knock em till you try em.... they align naturally and are actually great sights.