• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Legal or double standard

jaiotu

imported post

solidsnake.45 wrote:
I didn't. Mean to imply that I had special privages because I wear a baadge and uniform for my job I have read the mention code about private security I'm just saying I see the double standard personally and the uniform is not only unconfortable lol but is a false sence of safty and quillifacation.
I'm not saying you meant to imply anything... it's just part of the problem. That uniform changes the thinking of both the wearer and the observer.

Admit it... you probably don't feel as conspicuous OCing in public in uniform as you do in civvies? Do you?

Any type of "uniform" gives observers the impression that, somehow, you're having a weapon on your belt is acceptable. That guy over there in shorts and a t-shirt however...

B1911

imported post

jaiotu wrote:
solidsnake.45 wrote:
I didn't. Mean to imply that I had special privages because I wear a baadge and uniform for my job I have read the mention code about private security I'm just saying I see the double standard personally and the uniform is not only unconfortable lol but is a false sence of safty and quillifacation.
I'm not saying you meant to imply anything... it's just part of the problem. That uniform changes the thinking of both the wearer and the observer.

Admit it... you probably don't feel as conspicuous OCing in public in uniform as you do in civvies? Do you?

Any type of "uniform" gives observers the impression that, somehow, you're having a weapon on your belt is acceptable. That guy over there in shorts and a t-shirt however...

True ..I dont feel like ill be harrassed when in uniform for carring a weapon because I know that a lot of people are not aware of the rights they have. .. I have noticed I get way more attention and looks while in uniform than I get with jeans and a T-shirt,

B1911

imported post

Just thought of a situation I was in about 3month ago I stopped in a fast food joint after work (still in uniform) and two other shoppers fussing over who was next in line and a manager pointed tward me and asked for me assistance ,I said quick and clear for all inside I am not a cop if you need them call all I can do is bare witness to this ..and that is what they did and that prompted both hot headed line fighters to leave
And I left afterwards because they refused to take my order. ...I was sure how I should handled it I was just looking out to protect my job by not getting involved in that

noname762

imported post

Well I think you handled that well. The line fighters should have been forced to the end of the line. That you were denied service is the right of the fast food joint but I think it was chickenshyt of the ffj where you were concerned. I might go so far as to boycott all of their stores until I saw flying pigs or Hell was frozen over. Just my .02 worth.

noname762

imported post

At my old job sometimes I had to check the refuse cans and overall tidyness of the beach area. As that was the scene of a prior assault and strong arm robbery there were times I didn't want to go by myself. There for quite awhile we took a partner just for our own security.

A few times I would pick up my carry piece (CC) and go check the beach. I never had any trouble and only ran into some drunks a couple times. Of course I was extra vigilant as drunks are unpredictable. As soon as the beach run was finished I returned my piece to my vehicle and continued on with my day.

Kirbinator

imported post

solidsnake.45 wrote:
Just thought of a situation I was in about 3month ago I stopped in a fast food joint after work (still in uniform) and two other shoppers fussing over who was next in line and a manager pointed tward me and asked for me assistance ,I said quick and clear for all inside I am not a cop if you need them call all I can do is bare witness to this ..and that is what they did and that prompted both hot headed line fighters to leave
And I left afterwards because they refused to take my order. ...I was sure how I should handled it I was just looking out to protect my job by not getting involved in that
You did fine. My first encounter with a Birmingham city cop, up close and personal was on a warrant check. Apparently they'd arrested someone and that person put down the address there, and he went door to door checking apartments. Naturally, the guy was 5'4", 55, and thier uniform looked like a security guard's. I answered the door shirtless, working third shift, and he put his foot in the door. It was classic. I stared real hard at the badge (didn't have my glasses on) and slowly read "Birmingham Police Officer"... things just weren't registering in my brain... When I realized he was a cop.. well, he's looking at it like I might be lying, or the person might be in my apartment, but I'm thinking... I really want to put a shirt on and I want his foot out of my doorway.

Ever since then, I don't answer the door. That doesn't mean I don't check the peephole to see who is there, or have the pistol with me.

B1911

imported post

noname762 wrote:
Well I think you handled that well. The line fighters should have been forced to the end of the line. That you were denied service is the right of the fast food joint but I think it was chickenshyt of the ffj where you were concerned. I might go so far as to boycott all of their stores until I saw flying pigs or Hell was frozen over. Just my .02 worth.

Well I've been in there many times proir to that and they didn't have a problem, the assistant manager girl said "I ain't takin yo order now" referring to I wouldn't step in and stop a argument and I called and spoke with a district manager to complain and gave my story as to what I witnessed and how I was treated afterward well end of story the assistant manager that refused me is no longer employed there and I no longer eat whoppers I've switched to quarter pounders with cheese

Kirbinator

imported post

solidsnake.45 wrote:
the assistant manager girl said "I ain't takin yo order now" referring to I wouldn't step in and stop a argument
Just remember that for next time: "My hourly rate is $50/hr with a four-hour minimum, up front, in cash." Overhead costs and reporting, ya know. If she wants to open the till and hand you the dollars, then you might get involved. Or you can be a real smarty and pull out the cellphone and call 911. Then when the cops get there, have them trespassed. OTOH, you're the one wearing a gun, so you don't want to get involved in any fight.

B1911

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
solidsnake.45 wrote:
the assistant manager girl said "I ain't takin yo order now" referring to I wouldn't step in and stop a argument
Just remember that for next time: "My hourly rate is $50/hr with a four-hour minimum, up front, in cash." Overhead costs and reporting, ya know. If she wants to open the till and hand you the dollars, then you might get involved. Or you can be a real smarty and pull out the cellphone and call 911. Then when the cops get there, have them trespassed. OTOH, you're the one wearing a gun, so you don't want to get involved in any fight.
Don't know if I'm reading this right but I don't know what ur talking about with hourly rates and handing over dollars..You a lawyer?

Deacon Blues

imported post

He's saying that since they wanted you to be their personal security guard, you should charge them accordingly.

You probably still wouldn't have gotten any food, though. :(

B1911

imported post

Deacon Blues wrote:
He's saying that since they wanted you to be their personal security guard, you should charge them accordingly.

You probably still wouldn't have gotten any food, though. :(

Oh! That flew over my head LOL yeah if I do security for anyone its $1000 for two days

Kirbinator

imported post

We came up with the response for dealing with customers in the computing world who wanted it fixed Right Now but might not pay you until six months later. So the line became something like take your standard hourly rate (which is double your W-2 rate because of taxes and other overhead) and adjust it accordingly. Then require a minimum engagement of four hours at that rate, in cash, up front. At one time that was about $500, which was enough to deal with some of the characters that I met in the business. If they were smart, they had four hours worth of work to get out of you. Some of the consultants simply walked off the job after the issue they were called for was fixed -- five minutes or four hours later (when the dollar meter ran out). There are other factors to account for as well, such as billable time lost to driving and so on. The benefit to doing it this way is that they don't have you for more than a half-day top, but they are paying well for the privilege.

Security is a different ball-game but usually better.