• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Lake Geneva?

OCclint

Unconstitutional Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, U
imported post

I am going there tomorrow and wanted to see if anyone has had any experiences there. I am from Illinois and have briefed myself on the rules regarding OC in WI.

I know I won't be carrying into a restaurant or bar or Police Station or within 1000' of a school. Basically my plan is to walk around the downtown area with my Beretta in full view on my hip.

Any legalities of ammunition I need to worry about? My preferred ammo is a Corbon +P Powerball alternated with Black Talons in a 15rd magazine.

OCclint

imported post

Well, I just spoke to my friend from Racine just to make sure I had everything down to a legal science.

At the very least I will post my experience there so people know what to expect.

Where I went, reactions from people...etc...The plan really is just a walk down Route 50 through the D/T areato exercise my right!....Seeing that my rights are violated on a daily basis in Illinois, specifically Chicago, where I can't even own weapons. I have resorted to inconveniently storing them in a LEGAL manner elsewhere.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey Clint, glad you found the forum. =)

No restriction on the type of ammunition, so you are good to go there.

Just a reminder of the 4 places you can't carry:

1. Public Buildings
2. within 1000' of schools
3. places were alcohol is sold for consumption
4. in your vehicle

Here is a link to google maps to help you find schools in the area - http://maps.google.com/maps. Once you are there enter this into the search box "category:Schools -kindergarten loc: lake geneva, wi". That will give you a list of schools in the area, not all of them will be 1-12 schools, but if you look at the names you'll be able to tell (for instance some cooking school obviously isn't 1-12).

Typically I would then put that information on the map at http://www.undsccc.info/oc/schoolzone.html, however, that site seems to be down right now. =( So you are going to have to roughly calculate how far those schools are from where you are planning to go...

Carry on!

AaronS

imported post

OCclint wrote:
I am going there tomorrow and wanted to see if anyone has had any experiences there. I am from Illinois and have briefed myself on the rules regarding OC in WI.

I know I won't be carrying into a restaurant or bar or Police Station or within 1000' of a school. Basically my plan is to walk around the downtown area with my Beretta in full view on my hip.

Any legalities of ammunition I need to worry about? My preferred ammo is a Corbon +P Powerball alternated with Black Talons in a 15rd magazine.

Ammo is all good. Remember, no loaded guns in the car. Must also case it for the drive.

I also keep my .40 caland .45ACPloaded with Powerballs. My 9mm is full of Black Talons. I still have three boxes of the Black Talons in my ammo cans...

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I grew up near lake geneva. Seems like as good a place as any to exercise your constitutional rights!

I don't know anyone yet who had mentioned OC'ing in Lake Geneva. I know people who OC in Delavan on a regular basis (about 5 miles away)

Enjoy your freedoms and perhaps my only suggestion is to be confident in your knowledge that you aren't doing anything wrong and if you haven't seen these video's before, now is a good time to watch them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Let us know how it goes!

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I know people who OC in Delavan on a regular basis (about 5 miles away)

Don't want to hijack the thread but where in Delavan? I have been too chicken to OC so far. I live in Elkhorn and have wanted to get my feet wet by OC'ing at the Delavan Wal-Mart. Seems like a good public place with lots of witnesses if things get out of hand.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am not trying to talk you out of exercising your rights, but due to the general populace of Lake Geneva being mostly IL residents, I would expect police contact to happen. Just be prepared, have your ducks in a row so to speak. and be ready for a confrontation of 4 or more Barney Fife look-alikes to try and make your weekend an unpleasant one.

Stand up for your rights, And do not let the policebully you! You need to be beligerent in nature to convey that you do not consent to any searches or seizures (federal case law backs thisstatement about being "beligerent")

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

want to hijack the thread but where in Delavan?

not sure exactly, but I'm friends with the owners of Dam Road Gun shop and I know that my friend OC's when they are out on walks around town.

I will be in Delavan this Sunday and I will be OC'ing. I will be OC'ing around my parents house (which is in town) and probably at Lowes to get some supplies for a roofing project on my parents house. Probably a sub-shop or 2 also for eats. I'll report back.

Edit: paul, I'll find out in the next day or two where they OC.

Passive101

imported post

I'm in Delavan and don't know anyone here that OC's except for a friend in Madison. (He has not yet OC'd in Delavan) Who in Delavan, OC's and is anyone ever thinking of a get together as a group or a picnic somewhere?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I'm in Delavan and don't know anyone here that OC's except for a friend in Madison. (He has not yet OC'd in Delavan) Who in Delavan, OC's and is anyone ever thinking of a get together as a group or a picnic somewhere?
Won't have time for a picnic or get together, but my rights exist outside of those events too. As does my willingness to exercise them. I'll be OC'ing in Delavan this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They need to be 1st grade through 12th grade schools in order to bring on the 1000' rule.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
Mugenlude wrote:
They need to be 1st grade through 12th grade schools in order to bring on the 1000' rule.
I thought it was K-12 but could be wrong. Always better to be safe than sorry.
948.61(1)(b)
(b) "School" means a public, parochial or private school which provides an educational program for one or more grades between grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school or high school.

OCclint

imported post

I have to start by saying it was a beautiful day in Lake Geneva. Spent a couple hours on the lake and it was like glass. There was only about 10-15 boats on the entire lake.

After I changed out of my bathing suit, I went to the car to holster up and enjoy my 1st OC Experience. I had a little exciting nervous feeling going on, but placed my SIG P226 in my holster and away we went. We[my g/f was not OC'ing] walked to SCOOPs Ice Cream and went in without even a 2nd look. The teenager working there didn't seem alarmed by my presence, and neither did the 2 older women, 1 of which made a couple flovor suggestions. We sat outside and enjoyed!

From there we made our way back to Rt50 and walked down a few blocks passing many many people on the way and I didn't see as much as a dirty look or a double take. When approaching the corner, I saw a Sheriff at the light but either he didn't see me, or he just didn't care.

We walked down the beach path passing more people than I can remember, and again didn't even catch a single dirty look or scowl on someones face. We stopped at a few places to enjoy the view and even talked with an older couple for a minute or 2 about some Mink/Ferret critter that was running around the rocks and swimming around looking for crawfish[he found one :)] Walked ot the end of the path and saw a couple with their puppy, again, not a single feeling of negativity.

After a few miles walking around I can say people either didn't notice, didn't care, or just assumed I was a police officer.

I figured this would make a good photo opportunity for my 1st OC! It smelled a little ironic to me! You be the judge; Do I have the LEO Look going on? Or do people just don't mind others OC'ing.

Regardless!! CARRY ON in Lake Geneva, WI!

AaronS

imported post

Great story, and great photo, But...

We just have to get you a Packers shirt!

Again, nice job. Please return to Wisconsin anytime.

OCclint

imported post

I absolutely love Wisconsin and consider myself a Part-Time Wisconsin Resident.

We owned some property outside of Milton for about 5yrs and I spent ~20 weekends and 4 weeks/year up there. I go to Lake Geneva several times a year and something like being able to OC will bring me up there even more.

As far as a Packers shirt.......We'll see about that! I'm NOT a Bears fan so thats a start! :dude:

Anyone know about the legality of OC'ing on a boat ON Lake Geneva? I didn't want to risk it. Seems like they could throw some "inside the vehicle" crap at me.

***EDIT*** Boats: Firearms must be unloaded and encased when the motor is running.

I was thrilled to be able to do what I did! You guys have a Great State! Now if they would just let the CCW pass already! :cuss:

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Great Job! Thank-you for coming to wisconsin and exercising your constitutional rights.

Feels good doesn't it!!!!!!!

Great photo.

As for "looking like a cop".

ANYONE who has a gun on "looks like a cop"

When Jesus has been out open carrying people have said they "thought he was a cop"

If you have a crew cut and a gun, they think you are a cop. If you are a long haired mexican with a gun, they assume you must be vice, or drug unit cop.

If you carry yourself with confidence armed, most likely, people will assume you are a cop.

My girlfriend OC's ALL the time with me (in fact twice today,best buy in greenfield, and pick n save on hwy 100 in west allis) and people assume SHE's a cop! She gets the "you a cop" comment 3 or 4 times an outing.

(and she OC's a pink handled s&w airweight.