• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on the move practice in Renton Fish and Game

oldkim

imported post

I am a NRA Certified Instructor and NRA Range Safety Officer that conduct practice shoots for Concealed Pistol License holders or those that are interested in the competition sections of pistol shooting. IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Assocation)or USPSA (United States Practical Shooting Association or aka IPSC).

[url]www.idpa.com[/url]
www.uspsa.com

I hold practice events at Renton Fish and Game Club (RFGC) in the Renton Highlands.

www.rfgc.org

These events are offered as a "bridge" to those that are newer to shooting to those more experienced but have not explored shooting on the move. I called these shoots "Shooting Like the Good Old Days" since I remember going as a youngster to a dirt pit and blasting away with my brother. Although you can still go out to those far far places I find the drive to daunting and far. What I have set up here at Renton Fish and Game Club, which is about 30 minutes East from Seattle,is to use the "Action Bays" to teach and develop beginning to advanced pistol shooting techniques and to further the action sports of pistol shooting.

The events are centered around a core group of Safety Officers (SO) that volunteer their time and expertise. Randy and Christian have been with me since the beginning. I have now incorporated IDPA SO's and their expertise in shooting the competition aspects. Again, these events are for practice, low stress and high fun factor. No prizes or awards but simple bragging rights and good memories.

I only hold a few of these every few month but I am working on getting them more frequently.

The first step to getting further information is to contact me so I can add you to my email list.

Please send me your email, full name, contact numberand a brief history of your shooting experience (what classes or what you shot or how much you have been shooting).

Ammo
I recommend having at least 300 rounds (6 boxes) of ammo if not more. Yes, start stocking up when you can. Plan on shooting it all as the shoots goes pretty quickly. You control how much and how fast you shoot so ultimately itall depends on you.

Holster
A good holster is needed, please keep in mind cross draw, shoulder holstersor small of back are not allowed. We stress safety first so the muzzle control becomes the issue regarding these holsters. Muzzle needs to be pointed down or relatively down.

Safety First
Please know that above all else safety is key.We dostress safety first and then fun a close second. Muzzle control, Finger on Trigger and treating all guns as though it was loaded. The range is a COLD Range: which means that all holstered firearms will have the magazine removed and go through a clearing safety check to ensure the chamber is empty. So, no magazine or loaded guns unless you are shooting.

Shooting on the move
For those that have been shooting at a regular range, shooting on the move is exponentially more fun and difficult. Learning to shoot on the move is like relearning how to shoot all over again. Do know we take babysteps to develop these skills so you'll be in very good hands.

Membership and Cost
RFGC is open to the public but I do offer discounts for members.
I typically charge $25 for non members and $5 for members.
To justshoot at RFGC is $10 for the rifle and pistol section for non members (free for members).
I typically hold these events from 10am - 2pm.

NEXT SHOOT: TBA

Young Kim, NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
RFGC Member and volunteer safety officer
IDPA Member

NRA Safety Rules

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Watch the video as it gives anoverview of firearm safety.

http://www.usashooting.com/getStarted.php

Selecting a pistol for woman

http://www.ehow.com/how_4702234_choose-right-pistol-women.html

What I focus on are the three fundamentals of GRIP, SIGHT PICTURE and TRIGGER CONTROL

GRIP
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m11_pistol_studyguide/grip-techniques-used-with-2.shtml

SIGHT PICTURE
http://www.bing.com/search?q=pistol+Sight+picture+&form=QBRE&qs=n

TRIGGER CONTROL
http://www.targetshooting.ca/reframerize.cfm?redirect=http://www.targetshooting.ca/train_trigger.htm

SHOOTING ON THE MOVE
Todd Jarrett - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zYvMpTeqI&feature=PlayList&p=2630CD6FFFCAE011&index=7
Army Pro Tip - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAHDgmWOkCE&feature=PlayList&p=2630CD6FFFCAE011&index=6

HOW TO SHOOT
Todd Jarrett- video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl9_c&feature=PlayList&p=2630CD6FFFCAE011&index=8

Magix

imported post

I'm already waiting for the next event! You have my email so keep me posted Young.

Any new shooters reading oldkim's post and considering this...don't think, DO IT! The last event was my first time out and it was one of the coolest, most fun times I've had shooting. The instructors are very knowledgeable and supportive so don't be nervous, be excited!

:celebrate

oldkim

imported post

Manu,

Yes, it's been something to get these shoots off the ground. And I still consider it a work in progress... trying to make it better and better. The next one will be my 6th practice session.

Your offer is extremely generous and I will take you up on it. I'll give it to the lucky shooter at the next event (TBA).

Manu owns Dino's Restaurant and has offered to donate to my cause.

Dino's give a 15% off to OCer's so be sure to opencarry and do not forget to mention that you are from opencary.ORG!

Dino's Greek and Italian Restaurant
17642 1st Ave S
Burien, WA 98148
(206) 246-1332
Thanks I'll PM you to make arrangements.

Young

oldkim

imported post

It's more than fun.

Yes. if it can be used in IDPA or USPSA it can be used for me. So, yes IWB are fine. It does make it more difficult to reholster but they are great conceal holsters. Just have to go slow when reholstering.

The only ones that pose the greatest safety issue are the small in the back, cross draw andshoulder holsters.

steble01

imported post

+1 for these events i have been to two of them now and they were an absolute blast both times....for anyone that was there, i was the one with the spider web tattoo on my elbow shooting a beretta 92.......alot of people from my first shoot ended up showing up to this one and everyone was real friendly/sociable. i even had one shooter offer to let me use his pistol to try it out.

oldkim

imported post

Next shoot is:

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Please email me at oldkim@aol.com

Please include your name, email, phone and brief history of your shooting experience.

$25 for non members of Renton Fish and Game Club.

Please make checks Payable to RFGC

$5 for members

MUST PRE-REGISTER before Thursday, October 8th by 5pm. NO SAME DAY SHOOTERS

oldkim

imported post

So anyone considering to come. Just pre-register so I know who is coming and I can send you updates.

The rule for no same day shooters is because I simply do not have the time to go over the intent of the shoot while getting all the stuff ready for the shooters I have registered. Also for the shooters to be prepared to have enough ammo and right gear, right mind set, just so they know ahead of time.

There is no cost to register - when registered I have your name, email, contact and brief history so I know you have a basic understanding of gun handling. This does not mean I expect you to know what a cold range is and how to "act" with a holstered gun. We'll take care of all the basics.

This is not a competition. For anyone that has been.....

If you are shooting at a regular range and if you are getting bored - this is the shoot you want to try out.
If you are looking into IDPA or USPSA - the action shooting side ... this is the shoot you want to try out.
If you carry and just need practice with your conceal or open carry gear... this is the shoot you want.
If you just want to have fun shooting again... this is the shoot you want.
If you just want to meet like minded folks (gun people)... this is the shoot.

It's all self paced with lots of help if you need it. We try to focus on safety and having a great time. Come join us!

Young

PS I just recieved a nice donation from Dev (Manu)from Dino's Greek and Italian Restaurant which I'll be giving away at the end of the shoot.

17642 1st Ave S
Burien, WA 98148-1729
(206) 246-1332

They offer 15% off for Opencarry.org members so go out and enjoy some good food.

oldkim

imported post

October Practice session is now closed. If you would like to find out when the next one will be please email me and I'll add you to my email list.

I have 70 pre-registered shooters so it's going to be a good one!

Thanks,
Young Kim

Tawnos

imported post

I do have to ask one thing: why a cold range? It seems odd to disarm the entire group of their self defense weapons while at a range. If everyone is following that rule, doesn't it, in many ways, create a gun free zone? It seems to me that somebody with ill intent could roll up with a couple buddies and fully loaded magazines, shoot those on the line and pretty quickly overwhelm even 40-50 people, assuming those people are following range rules (no magazines on them unless they are actively shooting).

RFGC is the second range I've found around here that enforces that, and it seems contrary to the very ideas being taught in classes like IDPA.

Magix

imported post

Even with it being a "cold range", everyone has loaded mags on their person. It wouldn't take long for those guys rolling up to be lit up like christmas trees. Especially with the instructors there being so good and qualified.

oldkim

imported post

Tawnos,

Your question leads me to say, first....you've never shot at an IDPA match before. All IDPA matches uses a "cold range" meaning everyone has a holstered firearm but nothing in the chamber and no magazine in the gun.

Like Magix stated everyone has loaded magazines on them. Me I have 60 rounds (5 magazines of 357 SIG on me) and I can say without being too cocky that I can place them where I want them.

I would have to say for a "gangbanger" to roll on 70 shooters (all carrying and loaded with at least 40 rounds on their person) would be the most stupid thing I've ever heard besides going to a police station and trying tomug a police officer.

Bottomline: if this offends your sense of being able to carry please do not attend. It's called freedom of choice. You know the safety rules. If you can obey this rule then please come and have a good time with the rest of us.

I'm sure you've read where recently the guy shot himself teaching gun safety. The safety rules are there to protect us all.

This is a safety rule for shooting on the move - IDPA, USPSA and at this practice session.

Tawnos

imported post

oldkim wrote:
Tawnos,

Your question leads me to say, first....you've never shot at an IDPA match before. All IDPA matches uses a "cold range" meaning everyone has a holstered firearm but nothing in the chamber and no magazine in the gun.

Like Magix stated everyone has loaded magazines on them. Me I have 60 rounds (5 magazines of 357 SIG on me) and I can say without being too cocky that I can place them where I want them.

I would have to say for a "gangbanger" to roll on 70 shooters (all carrying and loaded with at least 40 rounds on their person) would be the most stupid thing I've ever heard besides going to a police station and trying tomug a police officer.

Bottomline: if this offends your sense of being able to carry please do not attend. It's called freedom of choice. You know the safety rules. If you can obey this rule then please come and have a good time with the rest of us.

I'm sure you've read where recently the guy shot himself teaching gun safety. The safety rules are there to protect us all.

This is a safety rule for shooting on the move - IDPA, USPSA and at this practice session.
I was under the impression there were no loaded magazines allowed on person based on your first message, where you call out both loaded guns and magazines: "So, no magazine or loaded guns unless you are shooting."

I was also thinking of general range use (when shooting trap or similar out there) and there aren't 40 shooters, say 5-6 with shotguns on the line (like when I was there last weekend). It just seems to be an odd rule, since it requires me to handle my carry weapon when it would otherwise stay holstered with the trigger covered, and it requires me to leave my pistol that I carry to and from the range in the car.

Magix

imported post

Well the great thing about these shooting practices that oldkim puts together is the safety aspect. I'm a lot less nervous there with new shooters since everyone does follow the rules.

The only time people handle their firearm is when they are active in one of the bays, and are being watched CAREFULLY by one of the safety officers. Everyone else watching or otherwise has their weapon holstered.

oldkim

imported post

Tawnos,

I can see where you can read that. The intent, as you knownow,was nothow you read it.

It goes back asa basic safety rule - one of them is to keep your gun unloaded unless you are using it. It's just a matter of math. The odds are greater if you have a loaded firearm that overall (if you play the odds) the greater the chance of something bad.

In any case, you need three things for something "bad" or NG or AD or whatever people are calling it these days.

1) firearm

2) ammo

3) you

If you remove any of the three it's really makes it difficult to have a NG or AD.

This is not a hot range course. If you want to go out and spend $500+ please go and pay for a course that will teach you in "hot" conditions.

This is not a business venture for me. I do not make any money doing this. I and all the volunteer instructors do this for free - the fee everyone pays goes directly to the club.

This a fundamental safety rule for all IDPA matches and myself. I'm sorry it steps on your sense of freedom but freedom does come with a cost... sometimes. I think all the shooters will agree this is well worth their time and willingness to keep everyone safe.

Tawnos

imported post

oldkim wrote:
Tawnos,

I can see where you can read that. The intent, as you knownow,was nothow you read it.

It goes back asa basic safety rule - one of them is to keep your gun unloaded unless you are using it. It's just a matter of math. The odds are greater if you have a loaded firearm that overall (if you play the odds) the greater the chance of something bad.

In any case, you need three things for something "bad" or NG or AD or whatever people are calling it these days.

1) firearm

2) ammo

3) you

If you remove any of the three it's really makes it difficult to have a NG or AD.

This is not a hot range course. If you want to go out and spend $500+ please go and pay for a course that will teach you in "hot" conditions.

This is not a business venture for me. I do not make any money doing this. I and all the volunteer instructors do this for free - the fee everyone pays goes directly to the club.

This a fundamental safety rule for all IDPA matches and myself. I'm sorry it steps on your sense of freedom but freedom does come with a cost... sometimes. I think all the shooters will agree this is well worth their time and willingness to keep everyone safe.
Well, knowing that possession of loaded magazine with unloaded firearm is okay, I am much more comfortable with the situation. It's not just events like this that I was considering, but other use of the club when there are fewer people around.

I'm not sure what your point was about "keep your gun unloaded unless you are using it" - I was speaking of keeping my self defense weapon on me in the condition it always stays - +1 and ready for use. It just seemed odd to me that during IDPA one is not allowed to have their BUG remain loaded and concealed, and during normal shooting (trap, skeet, etc) I must unload my pistol which normally remains loaded and holstered. It seems to be adding the third thing, me handling the gun, into a situation that shouldn't require it (i.e. when I'm at the range to use a shotgun to shoot clay).

I never said it stepped on my sense of freedom or anything else like that (you and Magix seem to be putting words into my post), just that it seems odd to me.

*edit* Of course, I would like to thank you for putting this stuff together. I'm not meaning to piss on your event, as I think it's great you're doing it. I was just confused and wondering why, in general, the cold range policy applies when it effectively means I'm having to handle the firearm more than necessary. Hopefully I'll be able to make one of the events, as they do look like fun.