• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on the move practice in Renton Fish and Game

oldkim

imported post

Tawnos,

You are certainly welcome to come join the next one. It is fun, more than you can realize until you do it yourself.

All I can say is that unlike your normal carry condition - we will actually be shooting, over and over again. A lot and fast. :celebrate

Shooting on the move is like relearning to shoot. We start really with basic movements and build upon them over the 4 hours we are shooting. We can take someone that has just started shooting and have them shooting on the move in 2 hours.

Again, this is practice with safety and a helping hand to guide shooters into having more fun and being safe. This is not IDPA, not competition, not a self defense class (although we do give hints).

Familiarity with your firearm is a must so we handle the gun alot when on the firing line.

steble01

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Well, knowing that possession of loaded magazine with unloaded firearm is okay, I am much more comfortable with the situation. It's not just events like this that I was considering, but other use of the club when there are fewer people around.

I'm not sure what your point was about "keep your gun unloaded unless you are using it" - I was speaking of keeping my self defense weapon on me in the condition it always stays - +1 and ready for use. It just seemed odd to me that during IDPA one is not allowed to have their BUG remain loaded and concealed, and during normal shooting (trap, skeet, etc) I must unload my pistol which normally remains loaded and holstered. It seems to be adding the third thing, me handling the gun, into a situation that shouldn't require it (i.e. when I'm at the range to use a shotgun to shoot clay).

I never said it stepped on my sense of freedom or anything else like that (you and Magix seem to be putting words into my post), just that it seems odd to me.

*edit* Of course, I would like to thank you for putting this stuff together. I'm not meaning to piss on your event, as I think it's great you're doing it. I was just confused and wondering why, in general, the cold range policy applies when it effectively means I'm having to handle the firearm more than necessary. Hopefully I'll be able to make one of the events, as they do look like fun.
these events are a blast, and very fun....as you know we do carry loaded mags. and in the event of us getting stormed by zombies, it is very easy to go hot and take care of bussiness....not to mention the fact that we had like 40 people or so last time walking around with guns on the hip, odds are that someone is going to take care of the zombies before people start getting hurt.......and i forgot to mention the fact that the zombies would have to make it past the trap and skeet ranges before they made it to us........

sequence of events while you are on the line keeps you in your normal carry condition one in the tube and safety off (thats how i carry anyways) when you step up to the line, you will be instructed to "load and make ready" which consists of inserting you mag, chambering a round, decocking (in my case anyways), and reholstering.......then you can gather yourself, draw your pistol, and shoot all on your own pace. after you are done shooting (most everyone shoots one mag, reloads and shoot the other mag) then you go cold with a safety officer and go back off the line and load up your mags, talk with buddies, eat, drink....whatever you need to do. when you are ready to shoot again, repeat the same process as above.

you should come out if you can......this stuff is great.

Lurkus Maximus

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just wanted to thank Young and all the RO/SO volunteers. That was the most fun shooting I've ever had. It was also the most enlightening. If you carry, and you've only ever shot static, you don't know what you're missing! It's not right down the street from me but you can count on my being at the next one!

steble01

imported post

yes, it was another great time. i have been to a few of these now, and they are most definitely worth it if you can make it.....

Hendo

imported post

I will add my appreciation to what has been said about Young Kim's event and his volunteers - great venue, instruction, safety procedure and fun.

This event helped me solidify what I knew, find out what I need to practice more, be introduced to new info and techniques - and - drawing from the hoster, practice firing on the move, from concealment, speed loading - as you can imagine - a bit more than you can do with paper targets.

And very importantly - as a relative newbie, this was an opportunity at a low cost to practice in a welcoming (well sure there are always posers) and safe environment which is so very needed for newcomers todevelope firearmhandling and safety skills without being intimidated by the jaded crusty ones (nobody reading this I'm sure).

So Thanks Again Young Kim and gang!

Hendo

Mad Pick

imported post

steble01 wrote:
yes, it was another great time. i have been to a few of these now, and they are most definitely worth it if you can make it.....
Yup, this was my third one. Love it!

FrankC

imported post

Mad Pick wrote:
steble01 wrote:
Yup, this was my third one.  Love it!

I'm sorry to have missed this and would like to go next time! The timing just worked out badly for me this time.