Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Open Carry in LL Bean expirence

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    Hey guys, if youve seen my other posts im a concealed carry permit holder who advocates open carry and therefore do it as often as possible.
    I went into L.L. Bean in freeport today with my brother while i open carried. there is a sign on the door about firearms but it states " Firearms for purchase or sale should be checked through the hunting and fishing location of the store" thats it. Just to be sure i went to the information booth in the front of the store and asked the lady (who i happened to know) if the sign was talking solely of what it speaks of or if all firearms needed to be checked. she asked what i was talking about and i glanced at my Beretta Px4 Storm Subcompact on my hip. and she said "ohh, uhm. no i dont think so your fine... is it loaded?" i replied "of course" with a smile. and she proceeded to tell me i was all set. so i wandered around to the camping section and about 15 minutes into my visit one of the staff members came up to me politely and asked if i had a permit. i replied that i did. he then asked to see it, which i replied that i was not required to have a permit to carry my firearm openly and i was deeply within the bounds of my rights, and that i would not show the permit to him due to that. He replied that he didnt understand what i was talking about. I told him that Maine is an anomolous open carry state and that because there are no postings on the door prohibiting it, dont need a permit to carry there. He said ." okay well i guess you are all set then." He then asked again to verify "But you do have a permit sir?" and i replied that i did and to have a nice evening, with a smile.

    I was very polite and hospitible to him, i can understand hes just doing the dirty work for management watching cameras and they want to make sure im legit. but i have a problem with showing a civilian my permit to do something i dont need a permit for. Even a law official would not legally be allowed to detain me for not showing a permit in that situation as what i was doing was 100% lawful. however if they had law enforcement show up to talk to me i would not mind showing the permit to them to ease there minds.

    so thats my story, bottom line is that i could have given in and made them have the warm fuzzy of seeing my permit. but i will not degrade myself to that level. We are all civilians, under no circumstance am i EVER required to show a civilian my permit. I got my permit to keeps the police happy. not L.L. Beans management
    Figured id share my expirence

    -BzBeretta

  2. #2
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202

    Post imported post

    I would not have asked, also I would drop the "anomolous" part.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Delaware County, New York, USA
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    If you were carrying in style, they would not have bothered you. Check out their line of holsters.

    L.L.Bean Carry into Fall Sale

    All autumn-themed open-carry holsters are on sale at L.L.Bean

    Keep your Two-Tone Kimber Custom snug for the cooler weather!

    Don't raise eyebrows at the Freeport Starbucks!

    Be in style in the city as well as the woods!

    Colors available are:

    African Adventure Khaki, Atlantic Salmon Pink, and Northern Forest Green.

    These holster colors coordinate perfectly with all other items in our Outdoor Adventure Gear catalog.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    Do you mind if i inquire as to why?

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    lockman wrote:
    I would not have asked, also I would drop the "anomolous" part.
    Yeah, the word is descriptive but not communicative - John has some new defintiions coming soon.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    BzBeretta wrote:
    Hey guys, if youve seen my other posts im a concealed carry permit holder who advocates open carry and therefore do it as often as possible.
    I went into L.L. Bean in freeport today with my brother while i open carried. there is a sign on the door about firearms but it states " Firearms for purchase or sale should be checked through the hunting and fishing location of the store" thats it. Just to be sure i went to the information booth in the front of the store and asked the lady (who i happened to know) if the sign was talking solely of what it speaks of or if all firearms needed to be checked. she asked what i was talking about and i glanced at my Beretta Px4 Storm Subcompact on my hip. and she said "ohh, uhm. no i dont think so your fine... is it loaded?" i replied "of course" with a smile. and she proceeded to tell me i was all set. so i wandered around to the camping section and about 15 minutes into my visit one of the staff members came up to me politely and asked if i had a permit. i replied that i did. he then asked to see it, which i replied that i was not required to have a permit to carry my firearm openly and i was deeply within the bounds of my rights, and that i would not show the permit to him due to that.
    I would not have asked to see if OC was OK - just carry, asking them puts the ball in their court and they will typically say no - also, keep communication simple - "nobody needs a permit to open carry in maine."

    being cute/coy/complicated is not helpful and comes off like a smart ass.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Hendu024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    Good to see more people OC'ing in Maine. I carried a little bit around the Portland area when I was home to visit this month. I won't be back home until Christmas time, but I will definitely be OC'ing then. Maybe we can set up an OC lunch or dinner somewhere?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas, , USA
    Posts
    80

    Post imported post

    Ohhh, I feel dumb. Living in Texas, with no open carry, it just doesn't occur to me. I arrived in Maine today, leaving my pistol in Houston, because I don't have a non-resident Maine CHL yet. I could have just OC'd? Or is that only allowed unlicensed if you're a Maine resident?



  9. #9
    Regular Member Hendu024's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    447

    Post imported post

    rhenriksen wrote:
    Ohhh, I feel dumb. Living in Texas, with no open carry, it just doesn't occur to me. I arrived in Maine today, leaving my pistol in Houston, because I don't have a non-resident Maine CHL yet. I could have just OC'd? Or is that only allowed unlicensed if you're a Maine resident?

    Nope, you could have OC'd. The main thing you can't do without a permit is carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, either open or concealed. But other than that, you can carry pretty much anywhere. Full preemption too.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas, , USA
    Posts
    80

    Post imported post

    Hendu024 wrote:
    rhenriksen wrote:
    Ohhh, I feel dumb. Living in Texas, with no open carry, it just doesn't occur to me. I arrived in Maine today, leaving my pistol in Houston, because I don't have a non-resident Maine CHL yet. I could have just OC'd? Or is that only allowed unlicensed if you're a Maine resident?

    Nope, you could have OC'd. The main thing you can't do without a permit is carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, either open or concealed. But other than that, you can carry pretty much anywhere. Full preemption too.
    But take a wrong turn into Portland, and your vacation is over, right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •