Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costco

Post imported post

I was in Costco at the Portland, Or., branch on 138th.

I was trying to decide which camera I was going to buy. I was having trouble rationalizing spending $800 or $900 on a camera when I do not take photos for a living or that many photos, for that matter. I have the money but I am trying to buy what I need and not what I want.

So, I walked around the store, went to the food bar and got a couple of hot-dogs sat down and ate them. Went back to the camera section. A young person--12 or so--came and told me that they were going to tow my Harley because of where I had it parked. So, I went and moved my bike and went back inside to the Camera department again.

I had been there probably about 2 hours or so. While I was making up the purchase slip for the camera I chose, the assistant manager came up to me and told me I could not have my gun in the store. He said he would be more than happy to show me the policy in writing and that the "no weapons" policy was included in my membership material.

He was nice and we discused, "Where is you sign" issue. He said he liked guns himself but it was policy. We talked about my rebate that I had received because I purchase so much at Costco. I also informed him of the open carry movement in the country and a lot of people would cancel their memebership if they could not carry their weapons. He understood and sugested that I email the corporate people becasue I am a member of the private club as well. Then the security guy came walking and asked him if he was alright---amazing :?

So, I went back to my bike and pulled my shirt over my gun and went back in and purchased my camera and I left.

I went online to look at membership policies that one gets when he joins Costco. There is nothing about not carrying weapons or bringing weapons into the store. Costco.com

Called the membership center today up in Washington and the woman told me that the information she had was that weapons are not allowed in Costco. I asked her if she could send the policy to me in an email. The following is what I received via email:

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.

Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.

Sincerely,

Sher Moyer
    Exec. Service Rep

Ext. 111704

This response is a personal response and I becasue I did not see a "no weapons rule" in the membership guidlines on their web site I have to believe that the no weapons rule issomething they do not have in writing.

In either case, I was asked to leave and had to leave.

With the above response, I do not believe that it would do any good to email my concerns about my safety in their store.

I welcome any input anyone has to offer :quirky

Banned

Post imported post

djhawes wrote:
    I went online to look at membership policies that one gets when he joins Costco.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public.
    One does not "join" or become a "member." You merely pay your markup up-front and create a year of merchant loyalty.

If you think you're a "member," ask when the weekly meetings are held.

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:
    djhawes wrote:
    I went online to look at membership policies that one gets when he joins Costco.

Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public.
    One does not "join" or become a "member." You merely pay your markup up-front and create a year of merchant loyalty.

From Merriam-Webster Online:
    Member--"one of the individuals composing a group."

A person who is part of the GROUP of peoplewho have paid to shop at Costco is therefore a MEMBER.

Post imported post

I haven't gone to costco in a long time. I really hate the fact they are anti gun. Everything else about them is so perfect. Great prices on great products with employees treated very well. If they ever change their no guns rule, I'd get another membership in a heartbeat.

The thing that really bothers me about their no guns rule, is that as far as I know, they only post no guns signs in places where open carry is legal and common. So they seem to realistically be okay with concealing, even if not officially, which I'd guess has a lot to do with wanting money from CCers. Despite all of their redeeming aspects, I won't give them a cent anymore. :?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I'm sure the store is fairly safe, too. It's their parking lot I'm more worried about.

I would have handed the camera right back to him and let him watch $800 walk out the door.

Post imported post

I sent Ms. Moyer the following email:

Actually, Ms. Moyer, I was not looking for a disagreement or a personal opinion.

I was told that the firearm “rule” was included in my membership paperwork that I signed when I became a member. Is there a written policy? What rules do the “Member Service Employees” follow concerning firearms?

I am a member of Costco and, in this case, not the “general public.” Because I am a member, I believe that I am entitled to any documentation that might pertain to firearms and Costco.

I could not find anything pertaining to firearms in the membership information on Costco.com. Without a sign prohibiting weapons posted on the entrance door of Costco, how is one supposed to know weapons are not allowed in Costco warehouses?

Again, back to “membership rules, privileges, and conditions,” I would like to know where I can find or read the firearms official policy.

Sincerely,

I wonder if she will respond?

Banned

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:
    djhawes wrote:

A person who is part of the GROUP of peoplewho have paid to shop at Costco is therefore a MEMBER.
    So I'm a member of the Yankees when I go to a game?

Post imported post

Guys,

I've experienced the same thing. It's their club, their property, their rules. Their documentation isn't very clear when you sign up, and you probably aren't looking for it. However the policy does exist, like it or not, and it is in writing. The policy doesn't state "firearm" but "weapon". I have been asked to leave as well. This is well documented, check the Virginia form or do a search on Costco on the board.

No one should be surprised if they get asked to leave Costco for open carry....unless your carrying only the lower half of your weapon, at which point it's not a weapon any more than a rock or your shoe lace is....

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:
    Flyer22 wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:
    djhawes wrote:

Nope.You are a member of the audience.

You'd be a member of the Yankees if you were on the field. Are you that good at baseball?

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    at which point it's not a weapon any more than a rock or your shoe lace is....
    But a shoe lace is a machine gun according to the BATFE.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:
    Correct. Therefore, one isn't a "member" of Costco. Saying one is a "member" of the shoppers is ridiculous.

Post imported post

I am a Costco member as well and I do remember seeing the firearm policy in writing either in my membership materials or on the wall behind the service desk.

I love Costco and I don't mind pulling my shirt over my weapon in order to shop there. It is usually not even an issue, since I most often shop there on my lunch break and I can't have a firearm at work anyway...

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:
    Correct. Therefore, one isn't a "member" of Costco. Saying one is a "member" of the shoppers is ridiculous.

Arguing about semantics is ridiculous, unlessthat's all you are here for. I believe the point was that Costco doesn't allow people who have paid the fee to shop there, to carry a gun. Call those people whatever you like Webster. Would it make you feel better if everyone agreed with you?

Old note, but always better to continue an old note than start a new one...

I joined Costco about a year ago, so I'm coming up on my renewal. I was completely unaware of their in-store "weapons" policy (heck, do they sell baseball bats?) when I signed up.

The last sentence of their policy reads:
    If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouse stores is either unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, or you are dissatisfied for any other reason, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full.
    Sounds to me like I should go in, tell them I'm dissatisfied with their policy and ask for my annual membership fee to be returned in full!

O2
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    Sounds to me like I should go in, tell them I'm dissatisfied with their policy and ask for my annual membership fee to be returned in full!
    O2
    Wonder if you can do that every year....

Quote Originally Posted by markand View Post
    Wonder if you can do that every year....
    Probably, but you'd still be giving your money during that year (buying products) to an anti gun company. I used to work for them, and now I won't even step foot in their warehouses.
    Last edited by PistolPackingMomma; 03-15-2012 at 07:17 PM.

O2 said Sounds to me like I should go in, tell them I'm dissatisfied with their policy and ask for my annual membership fee to be returned in full!

If I cannot carry in your store, I will not shop there.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

You should ask them how they plan to enforce their rule about no firearms. Are they going to scan everyone going in with metal detectors? Then, when they tell you there is no way they can do that, ask them how they plan to keep the criminals with guns and bad intent out, if they can't even check the law-abiding people...
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Well ain't everyone here all uppity and self-righteous? Hey, it's your bag not to shop there in support of your beliefs. For me, it's a helluva lot easier to say, "OK", conceal my weapon, and shop at Costco.

In the mean time, take two StressTabs and get a true concept of reality. There are more important things to worry about.

I have this saying: "No sense in ******* into the wind".

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbar View Post
    ...For me, it's a helluva lot easier to say, "OK", conceal my weapon, and shop at Costco. ...
    While you're at it, it's even easier (and more polite) to just leave your guns at home. You wouldn't want to get all self-righteous with being able to defend yourself. Thanks for knowingly supporting those who have no respect for us. But we understand it's the easy thing to do.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-22-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    ...Sounds to me like I should go in, tell them I'm dissatisfied with their policy and ask for my annual membership fee to be returned in full!
    If only every gun owner would do that...

Even if just those who carried guns would do this...

But Costco purposely doesn't advertise this policy, only losing a few people who find out about it and have the moral character to stand up for what they believe.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    While you're at it, it's even easier (and more polite) to just leave your guns at home. You wouldn't want to get all self-righteous with being able to defend yourself. Thanks for knowingly supporting those who have no respect for us. But we understand it's the easy thing to do.
    OMG. You hypocrite! You ask people to respect out rights to carry, and then get bent out of shape when a PRIVATE entity like Costco asks you not to openly carry in their store? So they must respect us, but you do not afford them the same respect to say no? YOU sir are one of the people that gives everyone else a bad name.

Huh? Where did I say they don't have the right to ask you to be disarmed in their store?

You should watch your tone when you are wrong.

Who's the hypocrite, though? The guy who says: "If that's your policy, I won't shop here," or the guy who says: "Since that's your policy I will lie to you that I am unarmed but will carry secretly and still give you my money." Are you sure you understand the word?

It's one thing to feel forced to cover up and shop anyway. It's quite another to brag on the Internet how you don't care because it's just easier to do it anyway.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-26-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Okay, let's break it down one item at a time shall we?

Huh? Where did I say they don't have the right to ask you to be disarmed in their store?

You didn't, and neither did I. This is called a Red Herring. Your exact words were, and I quote from above, "Thanks for knowingly supporting those who have no respect for us." I took this to mean that you were upset with Costco for not "respecting" your "right" to carry in their store even though it's a private store and they can set whatever rules they want.

You should watch your tone when you are wrong.

Am I wrong in saying that you're upset? Because if I am you sure have a funny way of showing it.

Who's the hypocrite, though? The guy who says: "If that's your policy, I won't shop here," or the guy who says: "Since that's your policy I will lie to you that I am unarmed but will carry secretly and still give you my money." Are you sure you understand the word?

Who's being hypocritical? Show me a single Costco with a sign on the door, and I'll show you a fellow who leaves his carry weapon behind. I know their policy. I also know that unless it's explicitly STATED at the entrance that no weapons are allowed then I will in good conscious continue to carry my concealed weapon when I shop there.

It's one thing to feel forced to cover up and shop anyway. It's quite another to brag on the Internet how you don't care because it's just easier to do it anyway.

As opposed to high & mighty bragging about standing by your precious principles while at the same time whining about businesses you won't patronize anymore? Puh-leeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast