• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with IWB holster?

DustoneGT

imported post

Is it still open carry if you use an IWB holster and tuck the shirt in behind the gun so the grip shows?

I found varying answers in other state forums, but I am not sure about New Mexico.

I'm in the process of sidestepping the whole issue legally, but in the meantime I like to concealed carry on my private property and in the car and wanted to not need to switch holsters all the time.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

DustoneGT wrote:
Is it still open carry if you use an IWB holster and tuck the shirt in behind the gun so the grip shows?

I found varying answers in other state forums, but I am not sure about New Mexico.

I'm in the process of sidestepping the whole issue legally, but in the meantime I like to concealed carry on my private property and in the car and wanted to not need to switch holsters all the time.

You are allowed to conceal in your vehicle and within a 3 foot perimeter of it.
Also you are allowed to conceal carry on your property.

But why conceal carry if you are allowed to open carry, no questions.

DustoneGT

imported post

I just wanted to be able to switch back and forth between concealed and open with the same IWB holster, but I'm not sure if LE would object.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

DustoneGT wrote:
I just wanted to be able to switch back and forth between concealed and open with the same IWB holster, but I'm not sure if LE would object.
If you have the CCW just keep it concealed.

I asked about IWB once, I was told it would be up to the LEO. Some would argue that to much of the gun is hidden.

Just get ya a nice little old Yaqui slide holster, they work pretty good on both fronts.

Trainer23

imported post

desert-prospector

Do you have a reference for the 3' rule? Not a challenge, just want to be able to show my classes.

Thanks

RogueWarrior

imported post

Trainer23 wrote:

desert-prospector

Do you have a reference for the 3' rule? Not a challenge, just want to be able to show my classes.

Thanks
I'd be interested to now also OH trainer23 thos may be a dumb question but are you a firearms instructor