• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do we want?

halal6

imported post

In Illinois of course we have neither. Well HB182 helps but should we be fighting for OC and settle on CC. Sorta like aim high and when you fall you have more to grab on to.

Or should we be pushing for CC since we have a better chance at getting that passed.

mgstudnicki

imported post

In [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]Illinois[/highlight] of course we have neither. Well HB182 helps but should we be fighting for OC and settle on CC. Sorta like aim high and when you fall you have more to grab on to.

Or should we be pushing for CC since we have a better chance at getting that passed.

As someone who has been held up twice at gun point by criminals, I hope someday that either CC or OC is legalized in IL. I reported the first incident to the police in Peoria, IL and they basically laughed when I asked if they might catch the guys. The second time it happened, I didn't even bother wasting my time reporting it. I've worked as a security guard at a nuclear facility and have extensive training in the safe use of firearms, yet I was completely helpless when I needed a gun the most because of laws that are stupid and ill conceived. The laws in Illinois currently protect criminals more than victims and I'm tired of it.

junglebob

imported post

Brandon Phelps introduced HB2257 which I thought was a good bill. It did allow home rule communities to opt out. I think one like that would have a better chance of passing. It was a CC bill. Unfortunately the NRA opposed it because of the opting out option. It would have given us something. I'm sure Chicago and some of the suburbs, Morton Grove and Willmette for sure would opt out. When Ohio got their first CC legislation it wasn't all they wanted, but some changes have been made. They had a goofy rule that you had to open carry in a vehicle even with a LTC.

HB2257 would have had the DNR issuing LTC, a lot better than the ISP which is doing a poor job on issuing FOID cards.

SAK

imported post

I don't rightly know how the IL legislature would treat CC vs. OC. I think I'm with Junglebob here that it's OK if we pass something that allows local ordinances. Yes, it would be bad, but it would be better off than what we got. Instead of fighting for years on end to get exactly what we'd want, we would then only have to fight to make small improvements.

mgstud, you know there is an option referred to as "fannypack carry" right? You don't have to be stuck completely without a gun. You can have a gun in a container with you, and have loaded magazines right with the gun, but just not inside the magazine well of the gun (thereby making it loaded).

TenRinger

imported post

I want both cc& oc. There are times & places that cc would be the best however I have seesome circumstances that oc would have been accepted& probably more effective.

TenRinger

imported post

I live in southern IL where the state game laws come into play probablymore often than near the cities. My understanding is the game warden wants to see all firearmsentirely enclosed in an identifiable gun case. To my knowledge a fanny pack has not been contested in a court of law although my opinion would be it would hold up. If anyone knows more please let me know. My answer to carrying is a little different but I am of opinion it will hold up although I will likely be hassled first. I purchased a .380 Keltec that came in a little zippered case with the words KEL_TEC spelled out one side of it. This should satisfy all law enforcement authorities that is if I can always remember to remove the clip when I leave my property which I most times do.

junglebob

imported post

I traveled through Southern Illinois and a little over 450 miles through Indiana this week monday and got back this morning. I "fanny pack transported" through Illinois and decided to open carry through Indiana. I made a few stops for gas going into the stations and a few stops at McDonalds. I really really wonder if anyone noticed I had a handgun on my hip. No comments like, "are you a cop or security guard?" I even open carried to the motel I stayed at. I thought about just stopping at a Walmart to walk through, but decided I couldn't spare the time.

soylentbomb

imported post

TenRinger wrote:
I want both cc& oc. There are times & places that cc would be the best however I have seesome circumstances that oc would have been accepted& probably more effective.
This. Our responsibility, our judgement.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I hope that one day IL will get CC or OC, I would prefer CC. I just cant imagine the ammount of trouble it would to be OC at first but yes shoot forboth.

So in the mean time I will never move back to IL untill I can defend myself

The wonderful govenor of Chicago needs to retire first then I can see someCC/OC start to happen

Good luck, even though you might be the last state to come up to speed it will happen

SAK

imported post

I think we're all in agreement of having both. So the question is how many steps does it take to get there. If we work backwards, how do we see this coming to fruition? The last place to fall will be Chicago of course. I see the rest of the state getting concealed/open carry first. In order to fell the Chicago machine, it will probably take a big PR campaign. This will take money.

To get the rest of the state it will take simply getting more gun owners involved - each to their own ability. We can get a lot of people to do SOMETHING. Some will donate money/pay for membership to a gun rights organization, some will help with political campaigns, some will lobby, some will offer services, etc.

The key, IMHO, to all of it is communication.

We're working on that aspect over at ICarry.org right now. A little communication can go a long way, and the Internet is for certain the best way to do that.

TenRinger

imported post

Thats kool that no one noticed when you OCed. Thisindicated most people are not at all concerned with the sight of a handgun & usually havemore importantthings on their minds anyway. Another thoughtIjust hadis that itwould bea rare moment indeed that a criminal would open carry in public thereforeJohn Q Publicshould havefew qualms withvisable firearms. One more plus for OC.

TenRinger

imported post

The 2010 elections is the only way to get pro gun satisfaction & we need to start on it now. Most people would vote down anti-gunners if their prioritieswere exposed in the mainstream media for all to see. Thats a big if someone must take it on thier own.

My opinion that could help is for the ILRA to give the 2nd amendmentquestioneer to every candidate and publish his failure to answer or return it. I want to see Mark Kirk receive one & fill it out however theirare a dozen more almost equal to him.

junglebob

imported post

I wonder how a open carry LTC bill would go over in the Illinois legislature. I imagine it wouldn't get out of committee. The antis couldn't say it would allow "hidden guns" to be carried. I recall seeing a buy buying some groceries in a local store while open carrying. He had a T-shirt on that had a security company name on it, so I imagine he was going to or from work and was legal. I don't know that there is a prohibition to stopping somewhere on your way to or from work, if you are a security guard.

TenRinger

imported post

I think you are right. OC would not get a co-signer. There being so many spineless politicans in Illinois I think they could be pressuredvery soon into accepting a ccw law & they could just pretend no one is carrying because they don't see them. On another serious note though I do believe we have got enough legislatorsafraid to oppose a good writtenCCW bill now. The keyI suspect to get a slam dunk CCW bill upsoon would be to awaken the Chicago voters. Several pro-gun factions have alreadystarted the ball rolling & when Dick Daleys' district czars see the light at the polls he will lose his teeth to bully votors as fast ashe will lose histemper. Pro-gun & anti-corruption workers in the city limits that still havesome old fashioned back bone & want to see a change forthe best are needed by the ISRA & the many upcoming gun supporting groups around Chicago metro. ;)TenRinger

Otaku201

imported post

TenRinger wrote:
Thats kool that no one noticed when you OCed. Thisindicated most people are not at all concerned with the sight of a handgun & usually havemore importantthings on their minds anyway.

More like indicated that the vast majority of the world is full of sheep. Even in one of the top antigun cities in America, people just breezed past without noticing.

SAK

imported post

From a legal standpoint, thanks to the recent SCOTUS ruling, there is a significantly greater argument for open carry versus concealed. I don't want it to be a choice thing - as we should have both.

It's unfortunate that we're not in the same boat as Wisconsin - having open carry and not concealed. For open carry is a fantastic foot in the door for concealed. However, I don't seen concealed being as big of a foot in the door for open carry. Although by the time we get concealed, we would probably be well on our way to getting enough PEOPLE being an open carry push.

It boils down to getting good strategies set. I have some broad strategies worked out, but we need people people people.

gravedigger

imported post

I think it is best to push for CARRY CARRY. Forget about "open" OR "concealed." That just gives the busybodies fodder to harass you.

So you're concealed carrying legally. you walk into a grocery store, and reach for a box of Corn Flakes on a top shelf. OOPS! your weapon is exposed as your shirt rides up, instantly turning you into a criminal as you break the CC laws. Some brain-dead liberal sees your holstered weapon and calls in MWG.

So you're open carrying legally. There you are with your friends in a park, enjoying a baseball game, when it clouds up and a thunder bolt releases a deluge of rain onto the game. You reach for your coat and cover up so your weapon isn't soaked. OOPS! your weapon is concealed as your coat covers it temporarily, instantly turning you into a criminal as you break the OC laws. Some brain dead liberal sees you "hiding a gun" under your coat and calls in MWG.

If you're going to push for laws, push for CARRY CARRY. Argue the fact that you are a law abiding citizen and whether your weapon is open or concealed at any given time, it is not a threat to society regardless. Make sure that they understand that, despite one's BEST efforts, the CC'd gun will occasionally be exposed, and the OC'd gun will occasionally be concealed, as the LEGAL carrier goes about his business.