• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting WV

Chaingun81

imported post

Hi everyone. I'm planning to visit WV next weekend. I have a resident CHP issued by VA and planning to conceal for the most part (standard practice while being out-of-state to avoid attracting attention - just my personal choice).

Can someone please refresh me on WV laws and things to look out for? Specifically interested in the following:

1) Is my permit (VA CHP) still valid in WV?

2) What are the places off limits for carry?

3) Is carry in National Forests permitted?

4)Is carry in State parks/state forests permitted?

5) Is carry in resaurants that serve alcohol permitted?

6) Any other places off limits beyond the obvious I need to be aware of?

Thanks a lot!

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

1. Yes.

2. Look here.

3. Yes.

4. Yes. Some parks have outdated signage at entrances indicating that firearms are prohibited, but these signs and the accompanying park regulations upon which they are based have been superseded by statute andCHP holders may carry concealed handguns. See W.Va. Code § 20-2-6a.

5. Yes. WV has no laws restricting carrying in any type of restaurant or bar.

6. No.

altajava

imported post

The law is clear for CHP holders, but I do not have a CHP. I open carry everywhere I am aloud to. The laws are not so clear on openly carrying without a CHP. I'm a frequent visitor to Tucker and Pocohantas counties. That is a lot of state park and national forest/wilderness land. I know the national park system will be a go in Febuary but am unsure about state parks, national forest, national wilderness areas and national wildlife areas.I do not carry a scoped handgun so in or out of hunting season should be no issue. Could someone enlighten me please? Although after just spending four days in the Cass/Snowshoe/Marlinton/Cranberry areas,it does not appear anyone cared thatI was carrying.

colorado slick

imported post

Howdy:

I am coming to WV to visit family in Fairmont and checked with the Fairmont P.D. Concerning open carry. I was informed while it is no a violation, it is certainly frawned upon and not advised so, I won't do it.

Colorado Slick

alntht

imported post

See, I would say let them frown. Yes carry in a respectful manner, not drawing attention to yourself on purpose, ofc.

mortonrml

imported post

I would agree with the above.. They frown on plenty of other stuff to because they think they're the Almighty of the City,County, what ever... They're Public Servants not Judges haha

amigaman

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:
I want to go to Harpers Ferry some time(s) and wondered what the ability to carry whether OC or Concealed is? I have my CHP.
The park in Harper's Ferry is the Harper's Ferry National Historical Park. HFNHP is a national park and thus you will have to wait until 2010 to carry there.
Hey Jim (WVCDL)!
Just for curiosity sake, what is the date in 2010 that the Gun Ban gets lifted for National Parks? Thanks.

Scott

virginiatuck

imported post

amigaman wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:
I want to go to Harpers Ferry some time(s) and wondered what the ability to carry whether OC or Concealed is? I have my CHP.
The park in Harper's Ferry is the Harper's Ferry National Historical Park. HFNHP is a national park and thus you will have to wait until 2010 to carry there.
Hey Jim (WVCDL)!
Just for curiosity sake, what is the date in 2010 that the Gun Ban gets lifted for National Parks? Thanks.

Scott
Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009
SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.
This Act and the amendments made by this Act shall become effective 9 months after the date of enactment of this Act, except as otherwise specifically provided in this Act.

It was enacted on 22MAY2009

Plus 9 months would be 22FEB2010.

Regular_Joe

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
1. Yes.

2. Look here.

3. Yes.

4. Yes. Some parks have outdated signage at entrances indicating that firearms are prohibited, but these signs and the accompanying park regulations upon which they are based have been superseded by statute andCHP holders may carry concealed handguns. See W.Va. Code § 20-2-6a.

5. Yes. WV has no laws restricting carrying in any type of restaurant or bar.

6. No.
Thanks for the answers - I am traveling to Huntington and appreciate being able to either OC or CC during my trip!