Thread: Tennessee State Parks no firearms signs

Banned

Post imported post

I took this pic this morning.

Post imported post

Going to guess they haven't changed their sign since the law change...

From their Website on the Rules and Regulations page http://www.radnorlake.org/rules.html

Firearms are prohibited (excluding conceal/carry permit holders).
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Post imported post

I called State Parks and they said they are prohibited from changing current signs. I don't think that is what CH.428 said.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    I called State Parks and they said they are prohibited from changing current signs. I don't think that is what CH.428 said.
    The entire sign wouldn't have to be changed. They could make stickers (ex-cluding)that they could place over the appropriate letters (in-cluding). How hard can that be?

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    Acutally that is exactly what it says.....

From Public Chapter 428

Because signage prohibiting the possessing of firearms while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, or instrumentality thereof, and posted pursuant to § 39-17-1311, prior to July 1, 2009, remains necessary for visitors who are not authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to subsection (b), the department shall not replace or change any existing signs that prohibit firearms or erect any new signs at existing state areas relative to firearms. However, the department may replace or repair signs that have been damaged or are scheduled for replacement in accordance with the park’s regular replacement schedule
    This was done so that there wouldn't be a fiscal note due to the cost of replacing signs.

So whenever the need to replace the sign because of damage or regular scheduled replacement, they can remove the part about firearms then, if they want to.

But the law does specifically prevent then from changing signs just because of the new law. Although I admit I have not seen any other signs that specifically address HCP holders.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin