• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tennessee State Parks no firearms signs

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I took this pic this morning.

radnorlakesign.jpg

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I called State Parks and they said they are prohibited from changing current signs. I don't think that is what CH.428 said.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I called State Parks and they said they are prohibited from changing current signs. I don't think that is what CH.428 said.
The entire sign wouldn't have to be changed. They could make stickers (ex-cluding)that they could place over the appropriate letters (in-cluding). How hard can that be?

Fallguy

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Acutally that is exactly what it says.....

From Public Chapter 428

[align=left]Because signage prohibiting the possessing of firearms while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, or instrumentality thereof, and posted pursuant to § 39-17-1311, prior to July 1, 2009, remains necessary for visitors who are not authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to subsection (b), the department shall not replace or change any existing signs that prohibit firearms or erect any new signs at existing state areas relative to firearms. However, the department may replace or repair signs that have been damaged or are scheduled for replacement in accordance with the park’s regular replacement schedule
[/align]
This was done so that there wouldn't be a fiscal note due to the cost of replacing signs.

So whenever the need to replace the sign because of damage or regular scheduled replacement, they can remove the part about firearms then, if they want to.

But the law does specifically prevent then from changing signs just because of the new law. Although I admit I have not seen any other signs that specifically address HCP holders.