• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Qwest Field Seahawks CC

oldkim

imported post

So no OC.

This is just an observation:

For both QWest and Safeco Field the typical security is watching for suspicious behavior, large bags and anything around the waist.

Some times they will "pat" around the waist if you have a large jacket on or baggy shirt covering the mid section.

joeroket

imported post

jinj wrote:
But can you CC? I thought you could, as its state property?
And isn't the Key Centre county property?
They must be operated by the county or municipality for pre-emption to come into play and then the restriction only applies to persons not licensed to carry a concealed pistol.

joshmmm

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
jinj wrote:
But can you CC? I thought you could, as its state property?
And isn't the Key Centre county property?
Qwest field is private property. I have been frisked going in before. An ankle holster would work.

I can report that at the Seahawks game they "frisk" your sides and arms, but nowhere near the waist or pockets...

(I put frisk in quotes as it was basically running a pen along the outside of your shirts to see if it hit anything, no hand grabbing at all)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree, everything has been dead on. They are run by a private group. However they do very poor 'pat downs', they have been more interested in me removing my cap (why I have no idea) then finding my CC. I have always CC'd at Hawk games. Even so much as one game a friend of mine who is a Clark County Sherrif Deputy was behind me in line and I refused to remove my cap without a supervisior present. When he finally came over I just removed my cap and walked through. My friend just laughed at them...

jddssc121

imported post

How about you just follow their rules?

everyone here is so adamant about their rights being respected....but don't want to respect others. It's a 2 way street.

Right now, Qwest field has the legal right to restrict firearms, whether you like it or not....It's a pretty hypocritical stance to get in a fluster about your gun rights, and then ignore their rights as property owner. Nobody is forcing you to go to Qwest. If you don't like their gun policy, don't go...Pretty simple. It's no different than walking out of a store that doesn't allow OC/CC.

They have the right to say NO, you have the right to leave. Breaking the rules only hurts the cause. "We're law abiding citizens, we're not criminals" doesn't ring very true while you're in the middle of sneaking in a firearm.

Everyone is up in arms about the Seattle Mayor ignoring the law and pushing his own agenda, which is exactly what you do when you ignore the property owner rights....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Qwest (Safeco, etc.) are owned by the public. They are a place of 'public accommodation'. By letting a private entity 'run' the event does not mean it is a private facility. It is not, the courts have ruled that other rights (1st A) are not pre-empted in matters of public accommodation. It is in no way comparable to private property (your home) or even a private business with no accommodation (Costco). Similarly malls also violate the notion of public accommodation.

jddssc121

imported post

According to the
Court, “Cherry supports the general proposition that when a municipality acts in a capacity that
is comparable to that of a private party, the preemption clause does not apply.” Pacific
Northwest Shooting Park, 158 Wn.2d at 357. The Court concluded that a “municipality acts in a
proprietary capacity when it acts as the proprietor of a business enterprise for the private
advantage of the municipality and it may exercise its business powers in much the same way as a
private individual or corporation.” Id. (citations and internal quotation marks omitted).
Therefore, “y issuing a temporary use permit, the city was leasing its property to PNSPA and
acting in its private capacity as a property owner.”

jddssc121

imported post

you could also argue that the Seahawks qualify as a "bona fide" club under 49.60.040... So "Public Accommodation" wouldn't apply

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Safeco is also publiclly owned.

Groundbreaking for the stadium took place on March 8th, 1997, and construction costs were $517.6 million. The stadium was designed by the architectural firm of NBBJ and 360 Architecture and is owned by the Washington-King County Stadium Authority. Safeco Field was opened to the public on July 15th, 1999, and has a seating capacity of 47,116-54,097.

Don't get me wrong, I am only stating an opinion to the legality of this quasi-private event at a public property.

SigPacker

imported post

I CC at Sounders games all the time, Scandium S&W .357 in a Smartcarry holster. Conceals extremely well in shorts and a soccer shirt. Ive had them ask me to empty my pockets but never a second glance at my "goods"

jddssc121

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
At first I was going to say that gogodawgs was wrong about both, but he is actually only wrong about Safeco.  Safeco is owned by the Mariners and Safeco Insurance company, both PRIVATE companies.  However, I found this about Qwest field:
Date Built July 19, 2002

Ownership (Management)
Washington State Public Stadium Authority
(First & Goal, Inc.)

Surface
FieldTurf

Cost of Construction
$360 million

Stadium Financing
Extension of county issued bonds serviced by car rental and hotel tax to raise $75 million; 6 additional lottery games to raise $91 million; Paul Allen to provide $100 million.

Naming Rights
Telecommunications corporation Qwest $75 million over 15 years.

So if the owner is Washington State Public Stadium Authority and financing was county issued bonds, how can Qwest be considered a private stadium?  OR Since it is a state agency that apparently owns it, is that why the firearms ban would be legal?

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/SeattleSeahawks/newindex.htm

see my post above w/ the quote from Cherry. The city is acting a private property owner and basically renting out the facility. (this is same logic which the Mayor is applying to the parks... which in the case of the parks is totally different and doesn't hold water)

PoppaGary

imported post

Regardless of the semantics regarding the ownership of these facilities, all of these types of arrangement's are partly ways to get around the rules and laws governing public facilities.

IMHO, if public monies or other resources are used to build and/or operate a facility it is and should be considered public.

It is just another way for the gov to weasel out of having to follow the law.

jddssc121

imported post

PoppaGary wrote:
Regardless of the semantics regarding the ownership of these facilities, all of these types of arrangement's are partly ways to get around the rules and laws governing public facilities.

IMHO, if public monies or other resources are used to build and/or operate a facility it is and should be considered public.

It is just another way for the gov to weasel out of having to follow the law.

Actually the firearms rule is a Seahawks club rule, not a city of Seattle rule, so you're barking up the wrong tree anyhow.

Don't get me wrong. I think the rules suck. Big time. I don't like the idea of walking down 4th ave unarmed after a game....

But we need to be above reproach here and follow the rules....Or we look like hypocrites. And right now both the RCWs and case law support their enforcement of the firearm ban at those sites...

Stlhead

imported post

Try one of these. (Smartcarry.com) They will notpat you down there.:what: