• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

multiple carry

mortonrml

imported post

I don't believe so.. there are very few gun laws period in this state. The more people know, the more stuff they have to harass u about. not that ur gona do it but open carrying more than one firearm would def do the trick haha

virginiatuck

imported post

I've read WV firearms laws and haven't ever come across any limit. If I were you, I'd read the hunting regulations to make sure there's not a vague law prohibiting carrying more than X loaded firearms at any given time that could be construed by some jerk to apply to people who are not hunting.

My layman's opinion is that if it's in the hunting section of the code, then it is implied that all the sections therein apply to those actively hunting.

Still, I haven't been able to find anything, even regarding hunting.

alntht

imported post

Well, i just clarified with WVDNR that you can, in fact, carry both a rifle and a pistol into the woods at the same time, with the intention of hunting with both. So that pretty much sums it up. Carry as many as you want :lol:

Maverick Lee

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Wow,

that's strange I always thought this was illegal. I do remember reading in the regs. that you cannot carry a rifle and bow together.

[align=left]•
be afield with a gun and bow, or with a gun and any arrows,

except for concealed weapons permit holders (see page 5). (WV DNR)
[/align]
[align=left]

Can't see myself carrying my rifle and revolver at the same time though, not as much as I like to walk around. I prefer to travel light as possible when hunting.

[/align]

Elkad

imported post

Had a friend years ago who hunted brown and grizzly with a handgun, and not a giant custom job, just a stock .41mag Blackhawk with iron sights.

He carried a short-barrelled side-by-side pistol-gripped 10gauge as a backup. He called it his "Get off me!" gun. He figured if a bear was eating him, things like recoil would cease to be a worry.

Carrying a backup firearm while hunting seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Maverick Lee

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Lol,

Ok if i'm hunting brown bear I would be all for a back up gun. Most dangerous thing in my area though is maybe a rabid racoon.

CaptainFinn

imported post

It IS against hunting regs to carry a handgun during bow and muzzleloader seasons UNLESS the hunter has a CCW, and of course, the firearm in question cannot be used for hunting purposes whilst being carried.

The laws are very confusing and seem to contradict each other at times...there is another reg stating that it is against the law to carry a handgun in the woods during hunting season without a hunting permit as well as a small-arms permit (aka 'handgun' hunting permit)...regardless of weither you are actually hunting or not...so it would seem if you go into the woods with a handgun to plink at targets you could technically be in violation of the hunting regs...

And then again, the regs state that if you are the resident property owner you pretty much can do whatever you want on your own land...again, the laws seem to contradict each other.