• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing a 10/22 rifle under 30 inches long?

lil_freak_66

imported post

ive been reading on here on and offfor the better part of a year now,but only recently got around to registering and posting.

anywho...

so i have a ruger 10/22 with a side folding stock,when folded is just over 26 inches long overall length.

which makes it considered a handgun in michigan.

how would i go about openly carrying this in town? i know its legal,because its legally a handgun.

but how would i have to do it to not be considered brandishing?

is just slinging it good enough?

for the record,id of course carry some sort of recording device,and stay where it'd belegal.

i know its treading dangerous waters,but its a risk im willing to take,because technically i wouldnt be doing anything illegal.

conservative85

imported post

Hey welcome to the site. As you said tho your 10/22 may be considered a pistol, it does not matter. Any fire arm can be carried openly but as far as the law on ccw reads a holster does not constitute concealed.
So if you were to carry a rifle openly I would carry it slung or in some sort of holster. Then you have to be careful around hunting areas and hunting season. I brought up long guns a year or so ago, but as we are basically an open carry org. we would like to practice educating, and desensitizing the public to pistols first.

First step open carry of a pistol.
second step?...

T Vance

imported post

Well Kimberguy is looking for people to OC rifles/long arms next Tuesday with him in Jackson (which isn't too far from Lansing). Here is the link to the info. Testing these waters would probably be better suited with more than one person. Will people freak out when they see an AK in public? Probably, but people still freak out when they see a handgun OCed. I'm all for testing these waters, but I can't throw away all my schooling/future jobon the chance of getting charged/convicted with a felony.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/30915.html

Michigander

imported post

The AG opinion states that holstered pistols aren't being brandished. If you can some how fit it in a holster, you will be covered by the AG opinion.

If you instead have it slung or in some form of scabbard, I think common sense and dictionary definitions lead us to believe it wouldn't be brandishing, but still be aware you might have to convince a judge of it.

I'm very eager to do some long arm OCing in a city atmosphere, but it's definitely walking on thin ice. It's something I've long said we should do as a group activity in a semi rural place, so as to begin to legitimize it.

lil_freak_66

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Well Kimberguy is looking for people to OC rifles/long arms next Tuesday with him in Jackson (which isn't too far from Lansing). Here is the link to the info. Testing these waters would probably be better suited with more than one person. Will people freak out when they see an AK in public? Probably, but people still freak out when they see a handgun OCed. I'm all for testing these waters, but I can't throw away all my schooling/future jobon the chance of getting charged/convicted with a felony.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/30915.html

i planned on attending the jackson event.

on the holster thing...yall got any idea on a scabbard or a holster that might fit it?

its 26 1/8 inches overall length when the stock is folded,and it has a scope.still on factory taper barrel

its something id love to do,but do so very carefully.

like yall said,thin ice and all that...gotta take precaution

lil_freak_66

imported post

i could...i should

im just tryin to think of the best place to mount it.

its way too big for a leg holster,and obviously wouldnt work.

i was thinking one that would tuck it a little bit under my left armpit,and have the muzzleend just below my hip.

have it open from the front,and held by velcro,buttons or just a few straps

and secure it with a few straps.

what are yalls ideas on it?

what is michigans legal definition of a holster,and "being holstered"

would a lanyard type thing work?

just planning to do it for events,i know it would be way too bothersome to do for everyday carry.

Michigander

imported post

I would try to make a thigh rig. You can have it held up by your belt and strapped to your thigh, with the portion that goes past your knee not being held by anything and just kind of free floating. No reason why the whole thing has to be attached.

You may even be able to make use of a conventional drop leg holster with modifications. Being a folding stock 10/22, I'm sure it has a pistol grip. With a 10 round flush fitting magazine, it could slip right into a holster, with the handle having a strap around it. Add in some more features to keep it steady, and you could be good to go.

lil_freak_66

imported post

id want as much possible to not be covered by a holster

but i dont want the thing bouncing around either.

i still cant find out what is considered a holster and whats not,anybody know of anything pertaining to this?

and i cant just go get a handgun...under 21 anda family that is VERY anti handgun...or id do that.

not a handgun but i do have a Co2 pistol that fires 4.5mm bb's and came factory without a orange tip...is it considered a handgun? its playing poser,but i could to that for the jackson event...if its legal,i doubt i could fashion something decent up for my 10/22 on such short notice anyways

Bronson

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
and i cant just go get a handgun...under 21 anda family that is VERY anti handgun...or id do that.
If you're 18 you may legally purchase a handgun from a private owner, assuming you have nothing in your past preventing it.

Bronson

WARCHILD

imported post

I don't have it anymore but here is what I did for my 10/22 for hunting carry.... Use a short arrow quiver (hard) and cut a narrow slot along the side as a scope slot. The quiver lets enough of the gun be exposed to easily be recognized as a rifle. I also extended the shoulder strap to allow it to hang a little lower on the left side. Cross shoulder...bandolier style. It worked resonably well, kept the rifle from "snagging" in thick woods and keeps the rain off.
Just a suggestion...

hud

imported post

If you're going to carry it as a pistol, is it "registered" as a pistol? That could be an area of BIG contention if you are approached by agents ofcertain State and Federal organizations.

lil_freak_66

imported post

defcon1 wrote:
If you're going to carry it as a pistol, is it "registered" as a pistol? That could be an area of BIG contention if you are approached by agents ofcertain State and Federal organizations.
yep it is registered as ahandgun