• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

President's School Speech

LuvmyXD9

imported post

wrightme wrote:
It doesn't look like Obama is going to ask students to tell on the parents who own firearms, or who are doing other things like speaking out against health care reform.  It looks like the text of the speech is about "doing good in school."

Media Resources Prepared School Remarks

Thanks for the transcript. Skimmed through it, doesn't look like anything bad, just a "do good in school" thing.

wrightme

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
At least one school district, Tempe Elementary School District No. 3 in Arizona, is not permitting parents to pull their children out of class during Obama's speech.
I don't have any kids.

But if I did, I'll be damned if some Superintendent or Principal is going to tell me if/when I can remove my kid from a school event such as this.
The local SD is allowing parents to specify that their children are to be otherwise engaged during the speech. But, after reading the text of the speech (did you read it?), I see no reason to disallow my son to watch.

John Wolver

imported post

hey look, this is after it has been changed. go back a week ago before all the outcries and critism, and you will see the truth and why people were worried. Dont go by what is being said now, go by what was said then, when i posted this. He has changed his tune because we bitched. So dont come bashing now, a week later. Think about what was going on before, when I posted this.

wrightme

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
hey look, this is after it has been changed. go back a week ago before all the outcries and critism, and you will see the truth and why people were worried. Dont go by what is being said now, go by what was said then, when i posted this. He has changed his tune because we bitched. So dont come bashing now, a week later. Think about what was going on before, when I posted this.
Huh? Who is "bashing?"

wrightme

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
ok, not so much bashing, but maybe bitching... either way.
Frankly, I just do not get your current point. It was discussed as presented. The speech is now on the web, and nothing is there to keep the complaint active. This was noted, and the discussion basically can end, right? :?

When this began, we "went by what was said." Now, that is no longer the case, so we go with "what it is now."

John Wolver

imported post

that is true, we do go by what is now. But when i posted this, it was different. But posts like this helped to enlighten people so they could bitch and get what he was doing changed. That was the point. So what shuold be said, and was said by some is, thanks, good post, helped to inform. Not, oh, he changed his speech so every thing is ok now.. duh do dooo sheeple time... we must remain ever vigilant, and yes, i seen his speech, and this version is something that can be swallowed by people, not like his old one, especially with the curriculum he was forcing down schools throats..

wrightme

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
hey arizaona, you guys might wanna check this http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/03/parents-object-obamas-national-address-students/

this applies to us in that if this is successful and he indoctrinates kids, you then have to worry about your own blood turning you in for guns, voting, etc.
I have yet to find one credible source where such was proven to be the case. At best, it is a tenuous "fear." Have you found any evidence that the drafts prior to the one released today had ANY content that would count as "indoctrinate kids" in a way that would possibly cause "your own blood turning you in for guns, voting, etc?"

RJ

Banned
imported post

wrightme wrote:
John Wolver wrote:
hey arizaona, you guys might wanna check this http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/03/parents-object-obamas-national-address-students/

this applies to us in that if this is successful and he indoctrinates kids, you then have to worry about your own blood turning you in for guns, voting, etc.

I have yet to find one credible source where such was proven to be the case.  At best, it is a tenuous "fear."  Have you found any evidence that the drafts prior to the one released today had ANY content that would count as "indoctrinate kids" in a way that would possibly cause "your own blood turning you in for guns, voting, etc?"

ITs funny, because they already removed the study guide sent with a work plan for them,
Now why would'nt they change the chat. Hahah,
Ok sorry, had to have one last word.
And this joint is right, its about Open carry and the right to have and bear arms.
Sorry again, this is just very important to those with little gals and guys.
IMO'
done with this one,
see you all at the OC dinner , 19th sept.
rj

wrightme

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
read history, thats how it starts... anyway, you guys wanted to drag into a tangent, you did, good job. end it now.
"Tangent?" This was only very marginally connected to anything firearms-related as it is, and as it was.

"Read History?" What "started" with a president urging schoolchildren to set educational goals and work hard to learn? The other conclusions presented so far appear to be nothing but FUD.

I repeat, I have found NO credible sources that indicate any content in the speech to be worried about. The ONLY credible item I have seen was some ambiguous wording in the press kit for teachers. That is the only portion of it all that is credibly reported as "changed."

Do you have other information?

FogRider

imported post

wrightme wrote:
Unlikely. But why let that get in the way of conservative outrage? And that's all this is. There is nothing bad in the speech, the only thing that has folks riled up is that it is coming from Obama. I guaran-damn-tee you that if McCain was going to be giving the exact same speech it would be hailed as one of the best things ever said by anyone, ever.

wrightme

imported post

FogRider wrote:
wrightme wrote:
Unlikely. But why let that get in the way of conservative outrage? And that's all this is. There is nothing bad in the speech, the only thing that has folks riled up is that it is coming from Obama. I guaran-damn-tee you that if McCain was going to be giving the exact same speech it would be hailed as one of the best things ever said by anyone, ever.
Well, not exactly. There was wording in the press kit that led some to believe that the speech would include items from Obama's platform. That wording was changed, after administration officials saw how it looked from other eyes.

wrightme

imported post

John Wolver wrote:
actually no, i dont want any politician trying to indoctrinate my child... they are mine to mess up, no one elses.
Once again, where is there any credible information that would lead any reasonable person to a conclusion that this topic is about anyone "trying to indoctrinate" any child? :?

wrightme

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The owner of this forum has spoken. This 'argument' is now one sided sycophancy. I am so glad that my child has a postgraduate degree.
Only if you blindly fall into lockstep with his views.

Pace

imported post

This is silly, because Gun Rights is not a Liberal or Conservative issue. I will say this over and over again until I turn red. Gun Rights is an American Issue, period.

The very fact that we polarize the issue is why there are problems in gaining more support. People think that if they vote for Gun Rights, they will be voting for a specific party.

A majority of Americans in this country believe that they should have the right to defend themselves, and we need that majority to gain back our 2A right. Those people are Republican, Democrats, Green Party Members... you name it.

I ask if you are REALLY a 2A supporter, than you realize that you are fighting for the rights of all Americans to bear arms. That means even some raving Communist supporter to carry a gun while protesting Capitalism :) Stop the rhetoric guys.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Well said!

Pace wrote:
This is silly, because Gun Rights is not a Liberal or Conservative issue. I will say this over and over again until I turn red. Gun Rights is an American Issue, period.

The very fact that we polarize the issue is why there are problems in gaining more support. People think that if they vote for Gun Rights, they will be voting for a specific party.

A majority of Americans in this country believe that they should have the right to defend themselves, and we need that majority to gain back our 2A right. Those people are Republican, Democrats, Green Party Members... you name it.

I ask if you are REALLY a 2A supporter, than you realize that you are fighting for the rights of all Americans to bear arms. That means even some raving Communist supporter to carry a gun while protesting Capitalism :) Stop the rhetoric guys.