• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC get together in Reno or Carson City

bookem03

imported post

I read that some folks from Reno might get together to support each other and our right to OC.Please let me know I am very intrested and would like to invite some friends who are new to OC.Thanks.:D

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I think we should meet up for a trash pickup, although I have no ideas for where we could do this.

== EDIT: Removed list of free times since they are no longer valid ==

bookem03

imported post

Who can I contact to set up a Trash Pick up?? If anyone knows let me know and I will run with it.It would be a great show of support for our community.:lol:

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Find a neighborhood with lots of garbage on the road and show up with gloves and garbage bags :)

Stay off private property and you'll be in good shape. No permission needed.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll be in Reno from Oct 22nd to the 27th. If any of you folks from Reno want to have a dinner during that time, I'll try to make it. We have dinners in my area once or twice a month, and they are usually a lot of fun. We've never been hassled in the 3+ years we've been doing it. I hope its the same by you. I'd sure like to meet some gun nu..er, firearm enthusiasts from your state, and I'll be OC'ing since NV and VA don't have reciprocity. :(

I just found out there'll be a gun show in Reno the weekend of the 24th-25th. :celebrate
WoOt!

jrwalker

imported post

I am definitely ready for another meet!A trash pickup sounds good, but I'm not sure where we would do that. Dinner sounds great. What about a barbeque at a park or something like that? Permit required?

jfrey123

imported post

jrwalker wrote:
Dinner sounds great. What about a barbeque at a park or something like that? Permit required?

We could get into issues at the parks. The law is in contradiction of the State Preemption, but none the less it's still on the books as prohibiting firearms in municipal parks (unless you're CC and in conformity with the CC permit).

What about a dinner out at a restaurant? I'd be down for anything not involved in the Legends Development.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The municipal code jfrey mentions is in Sparks. In Reno there are no contradictory laws although somehow we need to get Sparks to be in compliance with state law someday.

Barbecues sound fun, and less hard on the wallet than fancy restaurants tend to be.

Who can I contact to set up a Trash Pick up??
I already tried contacting the State in the past about the pickup programs they run (where you get a sign in return) but I was told they aren't offering that program due to a lack of funding. So a an informal method as Tim suggested was what I was thinking.

jrwalker

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
The municipal code jfrey mentions is in Sparks. In Reno there are no contradictory laws although somehow we need to get Sparks to be in compliance with state law someday.

Barbecues sound fun, and less hard on the wallet than fancy restaurants tend to be.

Who can I contact to set up a Trash Pick up??
I already tried contacting the State in the past about the pickup programs they run (where you get a sign in return) but I was told they aren't offering that program due to a lack of funding. So a an informal method as Tim suggested was what I was thinking.

I never have liked Sparks... :XNow I know why my instincts were correct. Forget Legends, they have the same "landlord" excuse for not allowing guns as Scheels does, don't they?

I agree restaurants can be quite pricey at times. ABBQ would be great, but we would have to hold it at a park of somesort. Maybe get some press out of it? Having a BBQ at someones house kind of defeats the purpose.

:idea:Too bad the Aces season is over... It would have been great to get permission for us to OC at one of the games. Boy, would that have great way to have a meeting. Next year? :lol:

As far as now, Felid, are you sure on the Reno parks law? I wouldn't want to try to hold a BBQ and have us all arrested. :banghead:Cite, please? Rancho San Rafael would be a good place to have a BBQ. Great park. Although, we would have to be careful with the University being so close. Any other ideas?

jfrey123

imported post

jrwalker wrote:
I never have liked Sparks... :XNow I know why my instincts were correct. Forget Legends, they have the same "landlord" excuse for not allowing guns as Scheels does, don't they?

I agree restaurants can be quite pricey at times. ABBQ would be great, but we would have to hold it at a park of somesort. Maybe get some press out of it? Having a BBQ at someones house kind of defeats the purpose.

:idea:Too bad the Aces season is over... It would have been great to get permission for us to OC at one of the games. Boy, would that have great way to have a meeting. Next year? :lol:

As far as now, Felid, are you sure on the Reno parks law? I wouldn't want to try to hold a BBQ and have us all arrested. :banghead:Cite, please? Rancho San Rafael would be a good place to have a BBQ. Great park. Although, we would have to be careful with the University being so close. Any other ideas?

Scheels' "excuse" hasn't ever been landlord to my knowledge. We've had letters and phone calls from their General Manager that they simply don't want OC in their store. They're fine with CC because it won't "disturb other shoppers". To my knowledge, Scheels owns their little piece of land on their own over there, and Red Development is the owner of Legends with the anti gun policy being their own.

Regarding the Reno parks law, I'd bet $1 there isn't a law "allowing" carry in a park. More like there isn't a law "prohibiting" us from carrying like there is in Sparks. Just like there isn't a law "allowing" us to OC in Nevada. Because of this, there's nothing for Felid to cite. One would pretty much just have to take the Reno Municipal Codes regarding Parks and read them front to back.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I've read through the applicable Reno Municipal Codes. Although it doesn't mean much, I once even had the opportunity to talk to a Reno Police Officer in downtown Reno who told me that Reno eliminated all their local firearm possession codes due to the preemption laws. I don't know the veracity of this claim or if any used to exist but I found it interesting.

There is a code that says if you, while violating any section of the chapter of the Reno Municipal code, are carrying a knife with a blade more than 2" long in a park, or a few other weapons (not including firearms), then you could have an additional charge.

Sec. 8.23.140. Carrying dangerous weapons.
Any person in possession of a dangerous knife or dangerous weapon during his commission of a violation of any section of this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
(1) Dangerous knife means a knife having a blade that is two inches or more in length from the tip of the knife which is customarily sharpened to the unsharpened extension of the blade which forms the hinge connecting the blade to the handle.
(3) Dangerous weapon means any explosive or incendiary device as defined in NRS 202.260, a switchblade knife, nunchaku or trefoil as defined by NRS 202.350, a blackjack, billy club or metal knuckles.
(Ord. No. 5652, § 1, 2-9-05)

See here if you want to scan through more RMC:
http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=14160&sid=28

State preemption laws should be a defense against any local codes, also.

sakeneko

imported post

Would be fun to have an event in Reno or Carson City. I don't see any recent posts; has anybody organized anything?

sakeneko

imported post

Announce the next one here and it will probably be five person -- additions being myself and my husband. ;-)