• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Man Cuffed and Detained at Murrieta Walmart

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
I just OCd solo for the first time today.... so I stopped at Murrieta Walmart.
What's with the off-topic necro-bump? I'm sure many of us want to hear about your OC experiences, but what does this have to do with someone being cuffed and detained at Murrieta Walmart?

Please, feel free to create a new thread rather than posting off-topic in a thread that has been dead for more than a month...

Well, he mentioned the Murrieta Wal-Mart. Isn't that close enough for on-topic purposes, CAL?

BTW, what's the time limit on posting to a thread? One month?

Captain_Awesome

imported post

I don't think streetbiker's assumption really makes an ass out of anyone. He didn't use the word 'assume' to mean he was assuming a particular fact about the occurrence - he's merely stating that judging by the given facts, this is his conclusion. When drawing a conclusion from a set of given facts, it is in fact ALWAYS assumed that there is no more information. He could have completely left out the word assume, but he probably stated it do reiterate the automatically accepted fact that there is a good possibility that we don't have all the facts.

Whether or not you think someone's conclusion based on the given facts is valid or not, please don't attack someone's general character based on the use of a specific word when you don't actually understand what is being said.

Just to reiterate, assumptions are made in any kind of real world logical conclusion - stating that you have made an assumption simply shows that you recognize that your conclusion isn't cut and dry, and you're open to the possibility that you're wrong.

And by the way, that saying about ASS-U-ME really applies to a situation where you assume a fact, and then use that fact to reach your conclusion. For example, "I assumed you wanted to get home early to start on your work, so I scheduled our breakfast for 5AM." Even in this situation, the use of the word assume really isn't really relevant - it's the fact that I introduced a new fact without any real evidence. (If you had told me that you normally like to get working at 6 every morning, then it would be a different story.)

chewy352

imported post

HankT wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
I just OCd solo for the first time today.... so I stopped at Murrieta Walmart.
What's with the off-topic necro-bump? I'm sure many of us want to hear about your OC experiences, but what does this have to do with someone being cuffed and detained at Murrieta Walmart?

Please, feel free to create a new thread rather than posting off-topic in a thread that has been dead for more than a month...

Well, he mentioned the Murrieta Wal-Mart. Isn't that close enough for on-topic purposes, CAL?

BTW, what's the time limit on posting to a thread? One month?

Well I guess I could have just said "hey I uocd solo at Murrieta Walmart today with no problems" but that would have been boring so I told the whole story. I was already stopped in Murrieta to visit my father so I went to that Walmart because of the incident instead of going to one closer to home in San Diego.

I didn't think my story would be interesting enough for a new thread but I'm glad to hear you think so.

KBCraig

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
I just OCd solo for the first time today....

Perhaps it's this:

On my way home I realized my recorder was dying so I stopped at Murrieta Walmart. I was only in there for about 5-10 mins and for no apparent reason grown men started pissing their pants, unborn children self aborting and woman screaming hysterically (all due credit to whoever said this first). Just kidding I had no problems and made it home safe and sound.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
I just OCd solo for the first time today....

Perhaps it's this:

On my way home I realized my recorder was dying so I stopped at Murrieta Walmart. I was only in there for about 5-10 mins and for no apparent reason grown men started pissing their pants, unborn children self aborting and woman screaming hysterically (all due credit to whoever said this first). Just kidding I had no problems and made it home safe and sound.

I find it ironic that a "libertarian" would start inventingrules regarding posting and and attempt to enforce them.

Some "libertarians" have a little bit ofautocratin them, I guess.

Kinda convenient. :lol:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
I find it ironic that a "libertarian" would start inventingrules regarding posting and and attempt to enforce them.

Some "libertarians" have a little bit ofautocratin them, I guess.

I normally resist the urge to respond to baseless accusations, but if the all-knowing HankT (the "T" is for "Troll") misunderstood my meaning, then I guess I should explain...

By no means do I pretend to represent the owners of this forum, nor do I make rules, nor do I try to enforce any rules (though I do usually ask people to respect the rules of the forum owners, and sometimes ask people to refrain from what I consider discourteous forum behavior - e.g. thread-jacking, necro-posting, etc.).

If you read closely, I think you'll find my post was simply my personal opinion, expressed in the format of a question, and followed by a suggestion.

I understand that there is some connection between the post and the thread... I just don't feel that simply being in the store 45 days later contributes anything to the thread. Now, if chewy352 had gone in and management had said, "hey, nice gun buddy," then that might be a sign the management is less anti-gun than they apparently were 45 days ago. Or if they had called the cops again, that would show they're still jerks.

Ultimately, I am more interested in seeing people make their own threads for their own experiences. We need people to read about regular people doing regular stuff while OCing. Chewy352's post is buried on page 2, and the first two replies after his post were addressed to a post on page 1 that was over 45 days old. I'd much rather see chewy352 make a new thread where people will be much more likely to read/respond to his post (rather than criticizing old posts and posting YouTube links).

All just my opinion - take it or leave it... just don't misrepresent it as something more than that.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

ConsideringOC wrote:
Streetbikerr6 .... you need to quit assuming. We all know that phase that goes along with ASS-U-ME. Sometimes your ignorance really glistens in your posts.

Captain_Awesome wrote:
I don't think streetbiker's assumption really makes an ass out of anyone. He didn't use the word 'assume' to mean he was assuming a particular fact about the occurrence - he's merely stating that judging by the given facts, this is his conclusion. When drawing a conclusion from a set of given facts, it is in fact ALWAYS assumed that there is no more information. He could have completely left out the word assume, but he probably stated it do reiterate the automatically accepted fact that there is a good possibility that we don't have all the facts.

Whether or not you think someone's conclusion based on the given facts is valid or not, please don't attack someone's general character based on the use of a specific word when you don't actually understand what is being said.

Just to reiterate, assumptions are made in any kind of real world logical conclusion - stating that you have made an assumption simply shows that you recognize that your conclusion isn't cut and dry, and you're open to the possibility that you're wrong.

And by the way, that saying about ASS-U-ME really applies to a situation where you assume a fact, and then use that fact to reach your conclusion. For example, "I assumed you wanted to get home early to start on your work, so I scheduled our breakfast for 5AM." Even in this situation, the use of the word assume really isn't really relevant - it's the fact that I introduced a new fact without any real evidence. (If you had told me that you normally like to get working at 6 every morning, then it would be a different story.)
ConsideringOC, re-read CaptainAwesome's post a few times, then read it again. If you can not comprehend the meaning of the word "assume" in the context that it is written in, then maybe you should hold off on posting for a while before replying with an attack on someone in this thread. I spent months shadowing this forum before ever creating a username. Attacking another, infact, is an easy way to lose all credibility in this forum. Since there are no concrete facts, such as video camera evidence or a follow up article, we can all only assume the statements made in the article are true. Based off that, one is left to draw a conclusion. The using of the word assume in my particular post meant that if any of those statements in the article turned out false in the future, my conclusion no longer applies. Don't go attacking people in this thread. We are all on the same side, I hope. Now, if you would like to comment on the specific article with your own thoughts, we would love to hear it.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Perhaps it's this:

I read that part... still not convinced it's necro-post-worthy.

It would be like someone driving through Turlock and digging up my old thread about my detention from July 2008, just to say they weren't stopped during their 15 minutes in town.

IMO, it just doesn't serve any real purpose, since it doesn't prove anybody involved in the original post has reformed. It adds nothing of value to this thread, and would be of far greater value if posted in a new thread where newbs will be like, "oh cool, normal people doing normal stuff and nothing bad happening."

I'll say it one last time: EVERYTHING i say here is:
  1. Not legal advice.
  2. Not representative of any other person's thoughts/ideas/opinions (unless specific citation is provided).
  3. Not anything EXCEPT opinion.

KBCraig

imported post

When a topic is only 1-2 pages long and a few months old, don't sweat necro-posting. If it's 17 pages, and the most recent post was 2+ years ago... yeah, start a new thread.

Back to the OP: I thought Murrieta was the inspiration for "Weeds". Or at least the theme song. :lol:

ConsideringOC

imported post

Bikerr6.... sure here is how I would word it.... It would be great to hear from this guy at Walmart for his story so that others wont have to make assumptions as to why he was stopped .

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Wow, I mean, accuracy is important, but talk about mincing words in conversation.

Did we ever find out what really went down? FOIA come through for us?

inbox485

imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
Wow, I mean, accuracy is important, but talk about mincing words in conversation.

Did we ever find out what really went down? FOIA come through for us?

+1. I seem to recall somebody was pounding on doors to get the details on this one. Any update?