• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Role Playing

lapeer20m

imported post

It is tough when YOU are the one in the hot seat. That got me thinking. What aboutcreating a little program of our own where we can get togetherand do a little role playing. Participants can take turns being questionedby a faux authority figure just so they can practice wash, rinse, repeat in a realatively realistic scenario.

Should make your first leo encounter a little easier

I would be willing to putinsome time effortand energy to put something like this together.

what do you guys think aboutthis idea?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
It is tough when YOU are the one in the hot seat. That got me thinking. What aboutcreating a little program of our own where we can get togetherand do a little role playing. Participants can take turns being questionedby a faux authority figure just so they can practice wash, rinse, repeat in a realatively realistic scenario.

Should make your first leo encounter a little easier

I would be willing to putinsome time effortand energy to put something like this together.

what do you guys think aboutthis idea?
I think it is an absolutely stupendous idea!!!

I know the value of training and practicing scenarios(salesmen practicing their pitches on each other).

Invaluable.

Michigander

imported post

I've got enough real world experience at this point. :uhoh:

But I do think it would be a good idea. All you'd really need is compile a written list of the normal stupid things police have told us, then get some people who are good at being loud mouth condescending smart asses, (maybe some retired DI's if there are any here ;) ) and have them drill participants. You could even set it up as a little class. If you figured out a really good format, it could even be reused in other states.

You couldn't get the adrenalin rush most people get their first time, because you'd know from the start you wouldn't be shot by some idiot, and you'd know you wouldn't be getting your gun taken, or sent to jail. This would make it much easier for a less experienced OCer to keep his or her mouth shut. But I guess that would be good anyway, because you should practice as you want to perform.

UCWT

imported post

That does sound like a good idea for practice going over it.

With that said...

Going into it knowing that is just a drill you lose the "real world" aspect to it. Your mind won't let your forget that its just a drill.

It will be a good learing tool to have multiple people drill you with questions.

Then see how you react while audio/video taping for later playback to see how you did under simulated pressure.

Guess it has just a "game" feel to me. Without the nerves, adrenaline and actual confrontation you may just do a text book recital every time but when your under the gun and the heat is on in a real confrontation that changes everything.

It will play a good role in the "wash rinse repeat" aspect and I am trying to say that is does hold weight without making anyone upset about what I'm trying to express.

I see it like this.
If you practice gun retention with your 12 year old boy in a non confrontational setting odds are unless he is a very large 12 year old you will prevail every time but in a real setting when a angry 300 lb man with fire in his eyes that really wants your gun will he get it?

This would be no doubt a really excellent tool if you had the car, the uniforms and could do so in a "punked" kinda aspect while taping the whole thing to show the person his strong points and weak points.

Take what you will from this! just my view on what you asked

Sincerely
UCWT

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UCWT wrote:
SNIP With that said...
Any practice is better than no practice. The goal isn't to achieve the same level of familiarity as if one had already been blooded. The goal would be to have enough practice that when you are nervous in a real situation, you don't have to also try to do things that are unfamiliar.

Some will require more, some will require less.

I think themain thing will be to practice:

1) Pat phrases like, "No, offense, Officer. I know you are just doing your job, but I do not consent to..."

2) Not being thrown off by what the LEO does or says.

Start out easy, just to get the phrases down. Then gradually increase the intensity, baiting, and badgering.

If somebody has hand-cuffs and knows a bit about police procedure, you can even practice being on the receiving end of a full-blown Terry Stop. I imagine being cuffed is pretty offensive. A little familiarity with the helplessness, and sensations would tend to blunt the effect if it happens for real later. "No sweat, man. I'vepracticed this before."

Michigander

imported post

UCWT wrote:
Guess it has just a "game" feel to me. Without the nerves, adrenaline and actual confrontation you may just do a text book recital every time but when your under the gun and the heat is on in a real confrontation that changes everything.
One way I guess you could look at it is that it's kind of like drawing on and firing at a piece of paper. It's not a real world situation, but it can make you better conditioned for the real world.

If you have some bozo scream very loudly at you "WE'RE INVESTIGATING YOU MORON! WHAT'S YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS? IT'S A SIMPLE QUESTION!" It might shake you up, even if you know it's just practice. And if you wash rinse repeat him, shut up, or do what I would do and (pretend) call 911, you will have conditioned yourself to do it when it counts.

Michigander

imported post

Citizen wrote:
If somebody has hand-cuffs and knows a bit about police procedure, you can even practice being on the receiving end of a full-blown Terry Stop. I imagine being cuffed is pretty offensive. A little familiarity with the helplessness, and sensations would tend to blunt the effect if it happens for real later. "No sweat, man. I'vepracticed this before."
An excellent point. If you add in cuffs, and go so far as to do a mock arrest, it will make it much more real feeling.

I think with methods like that, it could be kind of like fighting a muscle bound self defense teacher who has on pads, and you don't. It can feel quite real, even though you won't get hurt, at least not badly.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Would this be something similar to the way drill srgts' get in the faces of green recruits?

Man, I remember what that was like. Even though I knew nothing physical was going to happen to me, it still rattled me some.

Michigander

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Man, I remember what that was like. Even though I knew nothing physical was going to happen to me, it still rattled me some.
The sick part about bad police interactions is that you don't actually know if you'll get hurt or prosecuted.

I was never a soldier, but I've been screamed at by former bosses who thought it was their job to scream at me like it was boot camp, so I know the feeling. It adds a new dimension with the police, especially if you're on your own, and there are like 5-10 of them screaming at you and talking to themselves about things they could charge you with.

Merely being yelled at and insulted doesn't mean much if you have a strong mind and don't take seriously what ass holes say. But knowing that you could lose money on court costs, or less likely but still possibly get hurt, it can add a whole new dimension of anxiety that can make it much more difficult to keep yourself calm. Particularly if you have other concerns like a family to take care of, or preexisting financial problems. It can make you want to "cooperate" which would be a terrible idea. That's why I like this idea of dry runs.

Michigander

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
As a former LEO and infantry soldier, I guarantee I can make you feel the adrenaline rush...:lol::what::celebrate
Well then it's official. You should set up a little interactive seminar on how to deal with cops. :D

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was an NCO. I was not a drill sgt., but I was an infantryfire team leader. To be honest, it is the times when I am quiet that people say I am the scariest.;)
When you're quite is when you are thinking. And eeeeeeeeeeeveryone knows how dangerous thinking is. That's why the Libs want to ban it.

WARCHILD

imported post

My wife's contribution.:D
I had her a tshirt made in Nashville on our honeymoon....many, many years ago....
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but...whips and chains excite me!" She loved that shirt.:cry:

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

Michigander wrote:
As a former LEO and infantry soldier, I guarantee I can make you feel the adrenaline rush...:lol::what::celebrate
Well then it's official. You should set up a little interactive seminar on how to deal with cops. :D

They actually do this in NH. We would need a place that we could do it and a day with decent weather (if we wanna do it outside and practice some stuff from the vehicles as well). I am very busy right now working on getting stuff set up for school starting in a few days in addition to mynormal schedule. My wife is starting too, sothings are VERY hectic around here and there is not much time to spare in our house.

If someone has a place we could do this, please let us know and we can figure something out. In NH, I think they call it "cop-stop rehearsals." I can definitely see how it would be effective.

I would be more than happy to play the part of the LEO, but am open to (and prefer) some help, as I am sure they would not respond to a MWAG call alone. I know we would not in GA. While the laws are a little different, I imagine most of the protocol is the same when it comes to "officer safety."