• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggestions for unregistered handgun

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Here's the "scenario":

Said handgun, was passed to person B from person A whose husband died. Person B gave it to peson C, then person C gave it to person D. The gun has been in the posession of person D for about a year.

Person D has a CPL, and acquiring a death certificate from person A is not possible.

This handgun is not registered. What is the best way to legally register it without creating legal problems for any of these people?

Thank you in advance.

(edit: additional information added)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Have person who currently possesses it get an RI-060 and register it to themselves, as the seller and buyer. If the police question (they usually don't - this happens more often than you think), say that there was a death some years back, and this was some property passed down from the estate.

Either that, or grease up the gun really good, vacuum seal it with some ammo, and bury it somewhere safe for when SHTF.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

I recently did this but I had a death cert. They didn't even ask for it but when I asked if they wanted it the second time they took a photo copy of it. I think you could just have anyone sign off on the sales cert and then it would be registered to you. Not sure though how legal it is, But then again the whole making you register your pistols is not legal for them to do so either.

malignity

imported post

Why is a death certificate not a possibility?
For some reason, I thought anyone could get a death certificate for anyone else for whatever reason they wanted.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
malignity wrote:
For some reason, I thought anyone could get a death certificate for anyone else for whatever reason they wanted.
That would be awesome. Cheap airline tickets forever. YES!!!!!
Yes sir. :celebrate http://www.deathsrecords.com/

Edit for PAY SITE!! :banghead:

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
malignity wrote:
That would be awesome. Cheap airline tickets forever. YES!!!!!

More accurately, the widdow of the person who died would have been responsible for registering the gun within a certain period of time. This could create legal issues for person A. Confronting this individual about signing a sales form would be a touchy situation also, due to the number of owners of this gun after the widdow gave it away.

"without causing legal problems for any of these people"

WARCHILD

imported post

I have done this twice. I told them I found the gun in some possesions of a relative who passed away. I told them I know nothing about the gun and would like to register the gun in my name. Their first response was..."Ok, as long as it doesn't come back as stolen or used in a crime". I said ok, but if it does; keep it, I don't want it. I have done this once in Flint and once in Saginaw. Both times the gun came back clear and I got them registered legally. Of course you have to be willing to lose the gun if it comes back negative for any reason. I was also told (by Sag. deputy) if it came back negative, I would not be charged for possession of an illegal gun because I voluntarily turned it in. It all depends on how badly you want to keep the gun.
So just consider your options and decide from there.

Fishous

imported post

2nd on the "just go down and register it". This works because they have no way of knowing whether or not the gun was taken (moved) out of state and then brought back.

When I moved here from Washington, I had to go down and get green cards for all my pistols.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Update:

Turns out the gun is registered. (in 1981 from someone born in 1923 that is NOT a relative, likely deceased)

The police say, if the gun had belonged to someone in the family it could be transfered with death certificate in hand. Otherwise the closest living relative of registrant has to be willing to sign ownership over to new owner. They say that posession of the gun currently is "OKAY" but it must be turned in, in a couple weeks if family cannot be located and ownership transferred.

I don't think this is right. When the police were asked to site which law(s) stated this is how it was to be done, the reply was "Dont know".

Suggestions?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
Update:

Turns out the gun is registered. (in 1981 from someone born in 1923 that is NOT a relative, likely deceased)

The police say, if the gun had belonged to someone in the family it could be transfered with death certificate in hand. Otherwise the closest living relative of registrant has to be willing to sign ownership over to new owner. They say that posession of the gun currently is "OKAY" but it must be turned in, in a couple weeks if family cannot be located and ownership transferred.

I don't think this is right. When the police were asked to site which law(s) stated this is how it was to be done, the reply was "Dont know".

Suggestions?

Get a purchase permit (or an RI-060 if you have a CPL).

Fill it out with yourself as the seller and buyer. Turn it in.

If they deny it, get a lawyer.

WARCHILD

imported post

Fill it out with yourself as the seller and buyer. Turn it in.

possibly a bad idea Ziggy. They "claim" the gun is already registered, so unless he can prove how he came to legally posses it; he could be committing a crime trying to register it as seller and buyer. Unless the PD is willing to give him contact info to the registered owner/relative (I doubt they will) any further options would be through a lawyer.
My .02

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
Update:

Suggestions?

I really don't think that law enforcement (highlighting "enforcement") can really just "make up a law" on the issue. I've seen the question posed on another website in the situation where one "finds" a handgun and their answer seemed to be that, as long as it has not been reported stolen you may register it. I'll try to find the site where I saw it posted... it was quite a while ago.

Were I you, I would call the nearest MSP post and see what they say... sort of a second opinion. They may say the same as your local PD did but then again, maybe not. If they tell you to just register it w/ your name as seller and buyer, I would do that. My m.o. in these gray areas of the law is to find some "authority" willing to agree with me and then do what I wanted to do all along. I would try to get it in writing or at least make notes regarding with whom I spoke, though. Documentation can't hurt.
Keep us updated!