• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And they think we are dangerous.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Cop shoots fire chief in Ark. court over tickets Residents fed up with speed traps in tiny town that has seven officers

updated 5:09 p.m. CT, Thurs., Sept . 3, 2009
JERICHO , Ark. - It was just too much, having to return to court twice on the same day to contest yet another traffic ticket, and Fire Chief Don Payne didn't hesitate to tell the judge what he thought of the police and their speed traps.
The response from cops? They shot him. Right there in court.
Payne ended up in the hospital, but his shooting last week brought to a boil simmering tensions between residents of this tiny former cotton city and their police force. Drivers quickly learn to slow to a crawl along the gravel roads and the two-lane highway that run through Jericho, but they say sometimes that isn't enough to fend off the city ticketing machine.

fire department vehicles and saw its last business close its doors a few weeks ago.
"You can't even buy a loaf of bread, but we've got seven police officers," said former resident Larry Harris, who left town because he said the police harassment became unbearable.
Camping out along highway
Sheriff's deputies patrolled Jericho until the 1990s, when the city received grant money to start its own police force, Martin said.
Police often camped out in the department's two cruisers along the highway that runs through town, waiting for drivers who failed to slow down when they reached the 45 mph zone ringing Jericho. Residents say the ticketing got out of hand.
"When I first moved out here, they wrote me a ticket for going 58 mph in my driveway," 75-year-old retiree Albert Beebe said.
The frequent ticketing apparently led to the vandalization of the cruisers, and the department took to parking the cars overnight at the sheriff's office eight miles away.
It was anger over traffic tickets that brought Payne to city hall last week, said his lawyer, Randy Fishman. After failing to get a traffic ticket dismissed on Aug. 27, police gave Payne or his son another ticket that day. Payne, 39, returned to court to vent his anger to Judge Tonya Alexander, Fishman said.
It's unclear exactly what happened next, but Martin said an argument between Payne and the seven police officers who attended the hearing apparently escalated to a scuffle, ending when an officer shot Payne from behind.
Bullet also hit another officer
Doctors in Memphis, Tenn., removed a .40-caliber bullet from Payne's hip bone, Martin said. Another officer suffered a grazing wound to his finger from the bullet.
Martin declined to name the officer who shot Payne, pending the outcome of an investigation. No charges have been filed, and it's unclear if the officer has been disciplined.
Crittenden County prosecutors did not respond to a phone message seeking comment.
Payne remains in good condition at the Regional Medical Center at Memphis. Payne referred questions to his lawyer.
"I know that he was unarmed and I know he was shot," Fishman said. "None of that sounds too good for the city to me."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32624883/
After the shooting, Martin said police chief Willie Frazier told the sheriff's department he was disbanding the police force "until things calm down." The sheriff's department has been patrolling the town in the meantime.
A call to a city hall number listed as Frazier's went to a fax machine. Frazier did not respond to a written request for comment sent to his office.
Alexander, the judge, has voided all the tickets written by the department both inside the city and others written outside of its jurisdiction — citations that the department apparently had no power to write. Alexander, who works as a lawyer in West Memphis, did not return calls for comment.
clip_image005.gif

Meanwhile, sheriff's deputies want to know where the money from the traffic fines went.
Martin said that it appeared the $150 tickets weren't enough to protect the city's finances. Sheriff's deputies once had to repossess one of the town's police cruisers for failure to pay on a lease, and the state Forestry Commission recently repossessed one of the city's fire trucks because of nonpayment.
City hall has been shuttered since the shooting, and any records of how the money was spent are apparently locked inside. No one answered when a reporter knocked on the door on Tuesday.
Mayor Helen Adams declined to speak about the shooting when approached outside her home, saying she had just returned from a doctor's appointment and couldn't talk.
"We'll get with you after all this comes through," Adams said Tuesday before shutting the door.
A white Ford Crown Victoria sat in her driveway with "public property" license plates. A sales brochure advertising police equipment sat in the back seat of the car.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, your being WAY too critical :what:eek:f these missunderstood law enforcement professionals. :uhoh:....oh wait what am I saying...... Crooked cops are everywhere.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I read that article last night in aww. That seems to be a shorter one than the one that I read though (unless the coffee hasn't kicked in yet). I didn't see the part stating that this is a town of 175 that has 9 (nine) police officers! That is incredible to me. THe Sheriff's office is more than enough to patrol this one horse town.

PT111

imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
I read that article last night in aww. That seems to be a shorter one than the one that I read though (unless the coffee hasn't kicked in yet). I didn't see the part stating that this is a town of 175 that has 9 (nine) police officers! That is incredible to me. THe Sheriff's office is more than enough to patrol this one horse town.

From the article above.

You can't even buy a loaf of bread, but we've got seven police officers," said former resident Larry Harris, who left town because he said the police harassment became unbearable.

But even seven for 175 people!!!!!!!:what::celebrate

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Just goes to show what "Mandatory Training" does for you.
what would have happened if the 175 people in that town, would killed those cops, disposed of thier bodies, and made out like aliens took them ??? or beaten them so severely, that they could no longer do their jobs. 9 against 175 , those odds SUCK BADLY for the cops...for many years now, the American people have allowed the the evil, crookedshepards that number few, to lead the great populations that are many. Someday , maybe soon, the sheep will turn of the shepards& devour them.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

There is a federal "Anti-speedtrap law" of that is sometimes used to shut down police departments like this. I believe it states that if 20% or more of the towns income comes from moving infractions it is considered an illegal speed trap.

I have also found that federal laws dictate on how speed limits must be determined, and this survey needs to be done at least once in every 5-year period or the posted speed limit is considered a capricious, invented numeric posting with no scientific backing and is therefore unenforcable.

Here is a little tidbit for you guys that got an undeserved citation, if you got a well deserved ticket, try to get the fine lowered and take a plea bargain so you do not piss off the judge prior to someone trying their case that was wrongfuly ticketed.

How should speed limits be set?
Traffic engineers maintain that speed limits should be established according to the 85[suP]th[/suP] percentile of free flowing traffic. This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving. Numerous studies have shown that the 85[suP]th[/suP] percentile is the safest possible level at which to set a speed limit.

So if 85% of the people traveling the roadway are traveling 37MPH, the speed limit must be upped to the nearest 5MPH increment therfore making it 40 MPH. Anyhting less is against federal and state laws.

AaronS

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
jwayne972 wrote:
return fire, massively..... plain clothes, unmarked vehicle, guys with guns ..... yup...me be opening fire...
+1, but three against one is a bad bet. At the same time, the outcomewas as bad as it gets... The real crapper about a story like this is that the bad cops even if fired, will just move on to the next town, and become a cop all over again. We see it all the time in Wisconsin. The Cop that let Jeff Damher take Sinthasomphone back to his Apt. was fired. No big deal. Getfired in Milwaukee, get a new job in Grafton (yes, Joseph Gabrish is in Grafton now, and he has higher rank!). And I am expected to respect cops... Sure...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
jwayne972 wrote:
return fire, massively..... plain clothes, unmarked vehicle, guys with guns ..... yup...me be opening fire...
+1, but three against one is a bad bet. At the same time, the outcomewas as bad as it gets... The real crapper about a story like this is that the bad cops even if fired, will just move on to the next town, and become a cop all over again. We see it all the time in Wisconsin. The Cop that let Jeff Damher take Sinthasomphone back to his Apt. was fired. No big deal. Getfired in Milwaukee, get a new job in Grafton (yes, Joseph Gabrish is in Grafton now, and he has higher rank!). And I am expected to respect cops... Sure...
I see 3 guys coming at me, the Saiga12 TACTICAL( russian Made assault 12 gAUGE Shotgun ) with 10 round stick mags -get's unleashed , It's basically a really cool looking AK47 Shotgun. 3" mag OO Buck, will clear / mowdowna lot of people, realy quick like. Charles Bronson would have used it in Death Wish 7:lol:, but he died before it could be made.