• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And they think we are dangerous.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

http://majikthise.typepad.com/majik...op-who-shot-fire-chief-in-back-in-court-.html

September 04, 2009 No charges for cop who shot fire chief in back, in court A police officer in Jericho, AR shot the town's fire chief in court. The fire chief was complaining to the judge about the ticket-happy ways of the Jericho PD. A scuffle ensued and one of the seven police officers at the hearing shot the fire chief from behind. Amazingly, the prosecutor says the shooter won't be charged, but the victim might be:
Martin declined to name the officer who shot Payne. It's unclear if the officer has been disciplined.
Prosecutor Lindsey Fairley said Thursday that he didn't plan to file any felony charges against the officer or Payne. Fairley, reached at his home, said Payne could face a misdemeanor charge stemming from the scuffle, but that would be up to the city's judge. He said he didn't remember the name of the officer who fired the shot.
Payne remains in good condition at the Regional Medical Center at Memphis. He referred questions to his lawyer.
"I know that he was unarmed and I know he was shot," Fishman said. "None of that sounds too good for the city to me."
After the shooting, Martin said police chief Willie Frazier told the sheriff's department he was disbanding the police force "until things calm down." The sheriff's department has been patrolling the town in the meantime. [AP]
Typical cover up, and now there is a possibility that the fire chief will be charged! :banghead:

I hope he owns the town after he sues and fires them all. They deserve it. Including the judge for not stepping up and refering the officer to the DA for charges.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
Man, the world just continues to erode around us. The Law becomes the lawless. The government is fading, our once great nation is in shambles, and the band played on........................
I think if thingscontinue to go down hill& I have no reason to thinkthey won't, Soon the Band will be playing a different tune, maybe Yankee doodle dandy. The American people will only sit still for so long( i hope i am right about that ) we don't call them sheep for nothing.:?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
Damn, guy. I hope so. I'm counting on it for the future of my children. Not anything like they taught us growing up- these days. Looking around I see alot of cattle, but few bulls. If a bull is found, they castrate him immediately. This pioneering, adventerous spirit that founded our country is being cut down, and soft sold on tv commeicials now. I think it realy started to roll when the yuppies showed up. Anger management anyone?
This is my Anger Management device

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices? Signs? Surely you jest.

I think that you might have meant National Committee on Uniform Traffic Laws and Ordinances. But even that is dedicated to dissemination of timely information on traffic safety.

If you look a bit you may find my analysis of a state's bicycling laws, that I gave an F-.

Now provide a citation of Wisconsin Statute setting speed limits. A hint. the maximum speed on W.I. is 45 mph unless further limited by sign. We don't appeal to the state for speed limits on town and county highways.

AaronS

imported post

The Feds don't set our states max. limit, but we did lowerit so we couldkeep getting Fed. highway funding... I think that was back in the late 80's or early 90's... For a bit, we were able to go 85 in some spots... The state might not set your limit on W.I., but if the state wanted your speeds changed, I think it wold happen on the same lines... At the same time, if the summer was good, I am not sure W.I. needs any state funding... I bet the Max speed on W.I was set by the fastest time of the kids races downtown.;)

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Actually Doug, The Fed. has developed the MUTCD so all traffic control devices and speed limits meet the same criteria throughout the entire country so drivers can expect the same signs throughout the country and expect similar speed limits on similar roads IE; a 4-lane divided highway in an urban area is usually set at 40-45 MPH. If a traffic survey was never conducted, or is over 5 yrs old, the posted limit is viewed as a capricious, invented numeric and therefore unenforceable.

The applicable section in the MUTCD is;

Section 2B.13 Speed Limit Sign (R2-1)

Standard:
After an engineering study has been made in accordance with established traffic engineering practices, the Speed Limit (R2-1) sign (see Figure 2B-1) shall display the limit established by law, ordinance, regulation, or as adopted by the authorized agency. The speed limits shown shall be in multiples of 10 km/h or 5 mph.

Guidance:
At least once every 5 years, States and local agencies should reevaluate non-statutory speed limits on segments of their roadways that have undergone a significant change in roadway characteristics or surrounding land use since the last review.

Edit, Spelling corrected

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
How should speed limits be set?
Traffic engineers maintain that speed limits should be established according to the 85[sup]th[/sup] percentile of free flowing traffic. This means the limit should be set at a level at or under which 85 percent of people are driving. Numerous studies have shown that the 85[sup]th[/sup] percentile is the safest possible level at which to set a speed limit.

So if 85% of the people traveling the roadway are traveling 37MPH, the speed limit must be upped to the nearest 5MPH increment therfore making it 40 MPH. Anyhting less is against federal and state laws.
Yes, there is federal rule making on speed limits. You haven't cited a USC or CFR or Public Law or Wisconsin Statute mandating anything and especially nothing mandating the 85th percentile.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Than you should have stated WI in your original request for a cite. WI adopted the MUTCD word for word as their DOT bible.

Linky>>>

Wisconsin Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (WMUTCD)
The WMUTCD exists on a protected server and requires the use of an ID and password. There is no cost associated with this and there are no restrictions to anyone wishing to view this material. If you have not yet created your Wisconsin User ID and password please visit the State of Wisconsin self-registration site first.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

September 12, 2009 The Back-Shooting Cops of Jericho, Arkansas Posted by William Grigg on September 12, 2009 08:23 PM So, here’s the scenario:
A man goes to court to contest a traffic ticket. At least three, and as many as seven, police officers are present. A “scuffle” breaks out between the badly outnumbered man and the police, which ends when one of the police draws his firearm and shoots the man in the back.
Question: Who gets charged with a crime, and what is the charge?
The shooting victim, of course:
“A man shot by cops inside a small town courtroom in Arkansas will soon becharged with battery on a police officer according to the West Memphis City Prosecutor.The shooting happened two weeks ago in Jericho.
Fire chief Don Payne was arguing a traffic ticket, and got into an argument with officers. One of the officers shot Payne in the back.”
None of the police officers, including the one who attempted to murder Payne with a firearm — thereby injuring one of his fellow donut-grazers, and endangering several others — will be charged with a crime, according to West Memphis City Prosecutor Lindsey Fairley.

The Fire Chief is being charged and the trigger happy back shootin copper gets away with it!!!:banghead:

SAK

imported post

Rarely do I see things that I don't believe these days, with all the craziness in corrupt government around.

But 3v1 minimum and probably 7v1 in actuality (goons like that usually stick together like glue out of cowardice) in a brawl and one of the 7 gets away with shooting? Son of a #@$%!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Oh and Golly Gee, the Fire Chief is African American. I wonder if this has any bearing on the entire case.

White Cop shoots African American Fire Chief in the "BACK" in the court room.

You have got to be kidding me! :banghead:

It is obvious why the Fire Chief is being charged and the cop is not.

We need to flood that city hall with emails and letters in support of this Fire Chief.

Hillmann

imported post

If you attack a cop do you expect them not to defend them selfs. I am not saying it is right but I don't think it is as clear cut as everyone seems to think it is.