• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCHOOL ZONES 626.9

DETOX420

imported post

i know that 626.9 in california states 1000ft but is now 1500ft?
so that being said it got changed to 1500FT correct?

also private schools k-12 are also included in 626.9 right.

just making sure cause if thats the case i wont even be able to bring my gun outside of my house in so cal

Decoligny

imported post

This is best asked in the California forum.

The answer is NO. The law as it currently stands is 1,000 feet, not 1,500 feet.

There has been no change passed into law.

I believe that there is a bill working it's way through the CA legislature that will increase it to 1,500, but that bill HAS NOT been passed into law at this time.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Every single member of the California assembly voted to expand the zone to 1500 feet. It hasn't reached the senate yet for a vote that I know of.

It applies anytime you are knowingly within 1000 feet of a school, including private schools. Be sure to read the laws yourself and don't trust anything you read from internet forum posts without verifying it yourself first.

Under current law you should be able to transport your long guns and your handguns if you transported yourhandguns in a locked case from your front door to your vehicle.Theoretically you could possess it on private property but right now there is someone being prosecuted for possessinga firearm on private property that was within 1000 feet of a school with the crazyargument being thatthe private property was not private property because it was open to the public.If the the revision passed and the prosecution is succesful, it would be illegal for you to move your handgun from your house to your vehicle because the new law removes the protection for locked cases on foot.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
If the the revision passed and the prosecution is succesful, it would be illegal for you to move your handgun from your house to your vehicle because the new law removes the protection for locked cases on foot.
So in KA it is now mandatory to have a vehicle if you want to transport a firearm?

moranimal

imported post

It applies anytime you are knowingly within 1000 feet of a school, including private schools.  Be sure to read the laws yourself and don't trust anything you read from internet forum posts without verifying it yourself first.

Under current law you should be able to transport your long guns and your handguns if you transported your handguns in a locked case from your front door to your vehicle. Theoretically you could possess it on private property but right now there is someone being prosecuted for possessing a firearm on private property that was within 1000 feet of a school with the crazy argument being that the private property was not private property because it was open to the public. If the the revision passed and the prosecution is succesful, it would be illegal for you to move your handgun from your house to your vehicle because the new law removes the protection for locked cases on foot.

I live in an apartment complex that is very close and likely within 1000ft of a school, but our complex has a gate. So even though you mentioned somebody was being charged because the private property was open to the public, the gate and fence would save me from that BS correct? Also, how does 626.9 work if you are driving past a school?

Thanks.

mrjam2jab

imported post

From Page 55 of PDF, page 49 of paper

Firearms on School Grounds
It is unlawful for any person to possess or bring a firearm upon the grounds of, into, or
within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school providing instruction in
kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or a campus of the University of California,
California State University, or California community colleges. (Penal Code § 626.9.)
Exceptions
• A person who has the written permission of the school district superintendent,
designee, or equivalent school authority.
• Within a place of residence or place of business or on private property, if the place
of residence, place of business, or private property is not part of the school grounds
and the possession of the firearm is otherwise lawful.
• If the firearm is an unloaded handgun in a locked container or within the locked
trunk of a motor vehicle, or the otherwise lawful transportation of an unloaded long
gun.
• The possession or transportation of firearms by a person who is engaged in the
business of manufacturing, importing, wholesaling, repairing, or dealing in firearms
and who is licensed to engage in that business or the authorized representative or
authorized agent of that person while engaged in the lawful course of business.
• Guards or messengers of common carriers, banks, and other financial institutions
while actually employed in and about the shipment, transportation, or delivery of
money, treasure, etc.
• Transportation of unloaded firearms by a person operating a licensed common carrier or an authorized agent or employee thereof when transported in conformance
with applicable federal law.
• The carrying of unloaded handguns by duly authorized military or civil
organizations while parading or the members thereof when going to and from the
places of meeting of their respective organizations.
• Any peace officer pursuant to Penal Code section 830 who is carrying out official
duties.
• Any person summoned by such peace officer to assist in making an arrest or
preserving the peace while actually so engaged.
• Members of federal or state military forces while engaged in performance of duty.
• Any person authorized to carry a concealed firearm pursuant to Penal Code section
• An armored vehicle guard while engaged in performance of duty pursuant to
Business and Professions Code section 7521.
• A security guard authorized to carry a loaded firearm pursuant to Penal Code section
• An existing shooting range at a public or private school or university or college
campus.
• An honorably retired peace officer authorized to carry a concealed or loaded firearm.