• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just To Make Sure...

ZackL

imported post

Ok, so I just read the FAQ (for the most part), and I have a few questions as I live in Colorado but do travel to Seattle about twice a year.

When I'm transporting a firearm it is unlawful for me to carry it while any ammunition is in it at all, including, but not limited to; loaded cylinders, magazines, chambered or any other way in which ammunition is in the gun at any point in any way (i.e. loose rounds sliding into the gun could be misconstrued). However, I can keep it in plain view on the seat with the slide open and have a fully loaded mag next to it for quick loading?

Next, I can obtain a non-resident CCW/CPL by applying at any agency. I'm assuming though, that I'm going to have to do so when I am up there and then wait for the CPL to be denied or mailed to me once I'm back home, correct?

And finally, although there isn't a "ban" on firearms in Seattle, I have been wondering recently what the attitude towards them really is up there. Are there any places in Seattle/Ballard/near UW or Seattle University that I might run into serious issues with someone because of my choice of carry? I ask because my friend that lives up there attends UW and lives in Ballard/Fremont area and my cousin lives very nearly on campus at Seattle University and those are really the only two reasons I go up.

Any advice and/or clarification would be greatly appreciated and I thank you guys for the already information packed posts that I have read.

Zack.

P.S. I am doing all of this as research before I even buy a pistol, but I have been looking at a (dare I say it?) Hi-Point .40 as I've shot the C9 and actually kind of liked it, save for the mag capacity. And also, I've been searching for a good deal on a .40 or .45 Taurus, .40 XDM, or Glock (especially 22 or 23) but have pretty much turned up nothing as of yet. Anyway, more on to the point, if I'm missing a good gun at a good price that I haven't listed, please let me know and I'll look into them as I'm open to a lot of different firearms. Again, thank you all in advance.

Oliferous

Lynnwood and Capitol Hill, Washington, USA
imported post

Hey,
I just got a Ruger SR9(17 rd mag) and am lovin it. Got mine for $350 and think it well worth it. I was actually looking at the XDM 9mm but the price difference with the overall better feel off the SR9 sold me. I'd recommend it ;)
And to my understanding, you need a CCL to carry a loaded firearm in the car. Loaded in any way shape or form, otherwise it can't be loaded while you're in the vehicle or it's trouble time. But I think the mag can be loaded.I need to check about where the rounds need to be in relation to the unloaded firearm cause I'm not a 100% on it yet.
Not too sure about the other stuff yet, but I'm sure I'll find out cause I frequent those areas too.Feel free to PM me when you're in the area and we could OC a coffee shop or something:p
Good Luck,
-Oli

Machoduck

imported post

Zack,

You're good to go in CO, as I'm sure you know, open or concealed, loaded or not, in the car. In UT without permit you need to be "Utah unloaded", meaning empty chamber. Technically, you need to perform two actions to make the gun fire. Idaho is good for OC anywhere except the usual places. Oregon is fine everywhere east of the Cascades for OC except city parks in Bend. WA prohibits loaded (in any manner) firearms without a CPL.

WY is fine for open carry in the car or out. If you're north of Thornton, CO, I-80 is quicker than I-70 by about an hour.

Somebody posted about how he got very quick turnaround on a non-res CPL. I forget who or where but I think it might have been in Kitsap County. The search engine is your friend.

MD

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

"When I'm transporting a firearm it is unlawful for me to carry it while any ammunition is in it at all, including, but not limited to; loaded cylinders, magazines, chambered or any other way in which ammunition is in the gun at any point in any way (i.e. loose rounds sliding into the gun could be misconstrued). However, I can keep it in plain view on the seat with the slide open and have a fully loaded mag next to it for quick loading?"

CORRECT

"Next, I can obtain a non-resident CCW/CPL by applying at any agency. I'm assuming though, that I'm going to have to do so when I am up there and then wait for the CPL to be denied or mailed to me once I'm back home, correct?"

CORRECT

"And finally, although there isn't a "ban" on firearms in Seattle, I have been wondering recently what the attitude towards them really is up there. Are there any places in Seattle/Ballard/near UW or Seattle University that I might run into serious issues with someone because of my choice of carry? I ask because my friend that lives up there attends UW and lives in Ballard/Fremont area and my cousin lives very nearly on campus at Seattle University and those are really the only two reasons I go up."

I would say anywhere in Seattle "proper" you may come across an anti zealot. The closer you get to the UW and Fremont, the higher the ratio of "those" people, but I wouldn't worry too much. Seattle folks are pretty passive-aggressive in general and while you may get some looks or someone might call the police, the chances of them confronting you about it are pretty small.

Personally, I wouldn't OC on any college campus as they have their own PD and there are WAC "rules" about guns on campus that they may think they can enforce as laws. They would be wrong, but they are real live police officers and they could still arrest you and generally cause some grief.

sirpuma

imported post

Without CPL, in WA your firearm can't be loaded. But that doesn't mean a Magazine can't be loaded. Though there is some confusion about whether or not you can have the pistol on your person. RCW 9.41.050 states you can't place a LOADED pistol in any vehicle without a CPL. Which would mean you could do so with an UNLOADED pistol. However 9.41.060 is the Exceptions to 9.41.050 and it states
(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;
So for the least trouble it should be cased and unloaded, though I believe you could have it holstered and unloaded. IANAL But don't take my word for it.

A CO permit is not honored in WA and a WA permit is not honored in CO.:banghead: Hopefully Congress will pass the law saying that ALL states must honor all other CPLs as they do drivers licenses.

1245A Defender

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
Without CPL, in WA your firearm can't be loaded. But that doesn't mean a Magazine can't be loaded. Though there is some confusion about whether or not you can have the pistol on your person. RCW 9.41.050 states you can't place a LOADED pistol in any vehicle without a CPL. Which would mean you could do so with an UNLOADED pistol. However 9.41.060 is the Exceptions to 9.41.050 and it states
(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;
So for the least trouble it should be cased and unloaded, though I believe you could have it holstered and unloaded. IANAL But don't take my word for it.

A CO permit is not honored in WA and a WA permit is not honored in CO.:banghead: Hopefully Congress will pass the law saying that ALL states must honor all other CPLs as they do drivers licenses.

THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY SLOPPY EXPLANATIONS OF WASH STATE LAW GOING ON HERE!

if you do not have a cpl, you may not CC, you may not put a loaded gun in a car.

you may OC loaded, on foot. when you get to your car, unload your OCd gun, then you may OC, or glove box, orunder the seat, or in plain viewwhile you drive.

ammo can not be in the gun. ammo may be in your pocket, or inthe mag, with the mag in your pocket.

btw rcw 9.41.060 (9) allows your 12 yr old son to legaly carry you gun for you.

ZackL

imported post

Ok, I live in El Paso county (Colorado Springs area) and they are really gun friendly, so I should expect to have at least light contact with LE, up there. Even if it doesn't happen, I'll be prepared. When I travel I should put the gun somewhere it cannot come into contact with ammunition just to cover my @$$ in case of a stop. And then for my non-res. CPL it shouldn't take too long, but I'll definitely have to make a Friday through Monday trip up to get it done before I get out there. That's what I've gathered from this so far anyway.

Now, another question that just struck me. Does a non-res. CPL carry the same weight as a resident CPL? Also, here in Colorado, they won't deny you a permit for anything less than a domestic violence conviction, current restraining order or a felony, does the same hold true up there or will my public intox from about a year ago muck things up?

And when I'm out walking around I can carry with one in the chamber, except where carry is prohibited. Right?

Thanks again guys.

Oli, that sounds like a plan. I'll let you know when I'm coming up with a pistol.

Edit was an after-thought about carrying with one in the chamber.

j2l3

imported post

Yes, you can have one in the chamber.

Washington doesn;t have a non-resident CPL. We just have a CPL. The only thing that distinguishes a non-resident license from a resident license is the address on it.

Your ammo can be with the gun, just not IN it when in a vehicle and no CPL.

If you go to Kitsap County Sherrif Office (West of Seattle), you should probably be able to walk out with your license. Otherwise it is likely to take 60 days as a non-resident. I could be wrong on the county, someone will correct me if I am.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Far easier to go to the source.....

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealfaq.html

When do I need to have a concealed pistol license? By law, you must have a concealed pistol license when you are:
  • carrying a pistol concealed on your person.
  • carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.
How long does it take before I receive my license? If you are applying for your first concealed pistol license, it may take up to 30 days to complete the background check before the license is issued. If you do not have a Washington driver license or identification card, it can take up to 60 days.

Where do I apply for a concealed pistol license? You may complete an application form at one of the following law enforcement offices:
  • If you live in the unincorporated area of a county you must apply in person at your sheriff’s office.
  • If you live in an incorporated city within the county, you may apply in person at either the city police department or sheriff’s office.
  • If you are not a Washington State resident, you may apply at any local law enforcement agency in Washington. (edit: some cities require appointments)

joeroket

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
btw rcw 9.41.060 (9) allows your 12 yr old son to legaly carry you gun for you.
RCW 9.41.040 (2)(a)(iii) and RCW 9.41.042 cover a minor in possession of a pistol. A 12 year old is not covered under 9.41.060 to carry an unloaded firearm.