• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court dispute ends in gunfire [Ark] Fire chief shot in court over tickets. WashingtonTimes.com

zack991

imported post

Just proves when people in power are not kept in check, they have the ability to abuse their power and have plenty of protection from the court.

Jizzzle

imported post

here's a question. but, it says that there where 7 cops in the court room.

do they have a night shift ever? who was out on the streets with all of them in court?

why where all of them in traffic court at the same time, do they really write that many tickets? holy crap.

and last but not least. you have 7 officers in the court room, i highly doubt you would have to resort to your handgun with those odds. are you seriously serious? shooting him in the back when it's 7 vs 1...

TFred

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
here's a question. but, it says that there where 7 cops in the court room.

do they have a night shift ever? who was out on the streets with all of them in court?

why where all of them in traffic court at the same time, do they really write that many tickets? holy crap.

and last but not least. you have 7 officers in the court room, i highly doubt you would have to resort to your handgun with those odds. are you seriously serious? shooting him in the back when it's 7 vs 1...
Read some of the background on this. A small "Mayberry" sized town in Arkansas (although that is a serious insult to Mayberry), with 174, yes that is one hundred seventy four, residents, who employed 7 police officers. Citizens complained that they were never available to take actual police calls because they were always writing tickets. One guy said he got a ticket for speeding in his driveway.

There aren't enough words.

TFred

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zack991 wrote:
The future of the US country wide with obama in charge.
lol, how do you possibly manage to connect this Obama?

I'm not defending the man; in fact, this has nothing whatever to do with him.

But, honestly, this is how America has been shaping up for the past 50 years. It's nothing new, not even remotely.

And, in general, the right holds as much responsibility as the left, even the new left, even the Obama-left.

The love of police and statism that saturates the new right is one of the things that drives so many liberty lovers equally away from the partisan right as the partisan left. And what you're seeing with police in this country is their legacy, even where aided by neo-liberal statism in kind.

This has nothing to do with Obama.

Welcome to the new America, being established for decades now.

Alexcabbie

imported post

marshaul wrote:
zack991 wrote:

But, honestly, this is how America has been shaping up for the past 50 years. It's nothing new, not even remotely.

And, in general, the right holds as much responsibility as the left, even the new left, even the Obama-left.

The love of police and statism that saturates the new right is one of the things that drives so many liberty lovers equally away from the partisan right as the partisan left. And what you're seeing with police in this country is their legacy, even where aided by neo-liberal statism in kind.

Geesh. This is NOT "the way America has been shaping up for the last fifty years". This is a bunch of hick cops in a hick town with a hick judge in a hick courtroom, and things like this were MUCH more common over 50 years ago than they are today. Diff is that we get instant satellite-fried reportage of every little thing that goes on in even the remotest places. If we had the modern scentific technology of today back then, incidents like this would have been so common as to not merit coverage nationally. To cite this isolated case of Ozark Rufuses going wild as evidence of the culmination of some kind of trend is like finding out a guy built a replica of a Sopwith Camel and calling the biplane "the future of aviation" The people involved here are not part of any "trend". They are THROWBACKS.

BTW My ssincere apologies to anyone who lives in a small town if the word "hick" offended you. "Hick" is not a geographical description, it is a mindset. And it is not always a bad thing, it depends on context. I come from a long line of Midwestern hicks, and I am proud. :cool:

zack991

imported post

marshaul wrote:
zack991 wrote:

I am not connecting obama directly to this mess, but the style of corruption we see here is the same. Where if you have the power and are in the correct group, you will never have to fear about having to be accountable for anything. That you can do as you please and all you have to silence those objecting to current policy's or laws is ignore them or call them racist for example.

The police there are abusing their power and have charge a fire chief who was fed up with the excessive tickets and decided to stand up. He was unarmed and was shot with how many police in the room? You mean to tell me that with all the police there, they could not handle a SINGLE unarmed man. So they shot a unarmed man with so many police in the room, yet your not hearing about that officer being brought up on excessive force charges.

Just like obama and his administration if your in his "group", you can do as you please and abuse your powers and are not responsible or accountable for ANYTHING. If people are being to fight you then use your powers to put fear into them like the police did with the fire chief.

smccomas

imported post

Alex I say this respectfully, re-read his comments I think you missed something. If it isn't clear pop over to officer.com and read the threads on open carry. Look at the attitude toward OC then think about what happened with the OP this type of stuff has been going on for a while.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
marshaul wrote:
zack991 wrote:

Geesh.  This is NOT "the way America has been shaping up for the last fifty years".   This is a bunch of hick cops in a hick town with a hick judge in a hick courtroom, and things like this were MUCH more common over 50 years ago than they are today.  Diff is that we get instant satellite-fried reportage of every little thing that goes on in even the remotest places.  If we had the modern scentific technology of today back then, incidents like this would have been so common as to not merit coverage nationally.  To cite this isolated case of Ozark Rufuses going wild as evidence of the culmination of some kind of trend is like finding out a guy built a replica of a Sopwith Camel and calling the biplane "the future of aviation"  The people involved here are not part of any "trend".   They are THROWBACKS.

BTW My ssincere apologies to anyone who lives in a small town if the word "hick" offended you.  "Hick" is not a geographical description, it is a mindset.  And it is not always a bad thing, it depends on context.  I come from a long line of Midwestern hicks, and I am proud.  :cool:
If something like this happened 50 years ago, we might be looking for a shallow mountain grave. ;)

The fact that, in a 7 vs 1 confrontation, police shot a man in the back, in court, and then charged him for it, makes this very much a modern event. Nothing like this would have ever happened 50 years ago, ever. Not for the whole world to see.

Alexcabbie

imported post

What is it with you, Marsh? 50 years ago the whole world wouldn't have seen it because we (1) didn't have the flash communication we do these days and (2) nobody out on the coasts gave a damn what a bunch of hillbillies did, except for maybe the Hatfields and McCoys (and that started over an allegedly stolen pig).

This mess is going to roil its way through the courts and the poor fire chief is probably going to get a judgement against 174 people and he will be lucky to have his medical bills covered. It will be interesting to find out how this little burg decided to have a 7-man police force. And how the deciders got into office and stayed there. Do those people think that an election is what the Japanese use to make babies with, or what??

In any case stuff like this case, horrific as it is, are VERY UNCOMMON TODAY. Ted Bundy is no reason to fear going on a blind date (but my best freind's cousin who looked just like a rhinosceros in drag was) and this incident does not typify modern police nor their attitudes. I am acquainted with and exchange pleasantries with several Alexandria officers and I have offficers in Arlington County I have known for some time as well. "Police culture" is what it is because people have become alienated to the police. Face it the arrival of a cop almost always means (a) you are in trouble or (b) you have just been the victim of a crime and the cop is responding. It is almost never good news. That's why I am (sorta) glad I wound up in my present proffession. I do hear "Oh, good! A cab!" somewhat more often than a cop hears "hey, great! a cop!".

Also keep in mind that there are by now several developing investigations and legal cases surrounding this matter; and at this point it is a murky fog that will probably take weeks to start to clear. As I used to remind myself when starting an investigation, "as far as we know, we know very little" at this point. You may make your judgement now (the Obama investigative method) OR wait until some of the dust settles. Right now as far as I am concerned this is a story with about 12 sides to it. I for one await the results of the various investigations.

But if I were to specul;ate, I would bet a month's gross reciepts that the police force in question was NOT a "Nationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency". Bets?

PT111

imported post

The people involved here are not part of any "trend". They are THROWBACKS

The fact that, in a 7 vs 1 confrontation, police shot a man in the back, in court, and then charged him for it, makes this very much a modern event. Nothing like this would have ever happened 50 years ago, ever. Not for the whole world to see.

This not a modern trend but as was said a throwback. It is exactly why a speeder must be goimg more than 5 mph over the speed limit to be charged by the local police in GA. What makes this stand out is it is rare now days and some people actually intervene along with it getting vastmedia coverage. The term 'Speed Trap" was coined long before the present Interstate system was built and there were many towns where the term "Trap" was actaully a fact.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alex, once you sort through the "murk", I have no doubt that you'll reach your usual pre-formed apologist conclusion, and cite something about the level of national accreditation as the likely causal factor. :quirky

I don't buy it. Not one bit.

Additionally, the police in NOVA may actually represent some of the few PDs who are (somewhat) professional and well-trained. It could be seen as a disservice to compare them to, well, basically any other PDs in the country.

The "Nationally Accredited" police in the Bay Area have a long way to go before they resemble "professional".

And the whole town-turning-into-a-speedtrap phenomenon... Throwback? Hardly. This sort of thing happens more frequently these days, not less.

Edit: In fact:

Sheriff's deputies patrolled Jericho until the 1990s, when the city received grant money to start its own police force, Mr. Martin said.

Oh, look, Jericho didn't even have a PD 50 years ago. I win. "Throwback" my ass.

Face it, Alex, you're desperate to find any excuse to preserve your apologist mindset unblemished.

If we were dealing with a "throwback" scenario, we wouldn't be seeing these "hicks" with a PD in the first place.

Alexcabbie

imported post

You know, Marsh, I have a zillion hilarious stories about the spectacular idiots I meet in my job. In fact I keep a record of the "best" and every year on New Year's Eve select "Idiot of the Year" from among them. ( for example, after we had been under a boil order for water for a week a PSA told us to run our taps and "If you have an automatic icemaker, make three batches of ice and then throw it out". Believe it or not one guy was congratulating himself on being such a handy homeowner, as he saved a bunch of money by removing the icemaker from the fridge after making the three batches, and he would be able to install the new one once he got it back from the store. And he was a lawyer, too :banghead:) All my cabdriver stories involve idiots, jerks and dickheads and you might think that is all I meet all day, every day. But the fact is that the majority of folks I meet are normal as a bag of groceries and most of them are very nice and a pleasure to serve. However, they do not make for a good entertaining story. Same thing with idiot LEOs. Not every cop is a criminal, and sinners sho' ain't saints. Methinks you have a bit too much sympathy for the Devil, Marsh. :p

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have to laugh about the icemaker. :lol:

I think you miss my point, however. I've never argued that all, or even most, cops are "bad apples".

My position has always been that the police in this country have become ubiquitous, well-armed, and powerful enough that those few who are bad apples are allowed to create an unacceptable level of risk to the citizenry.

Since the problem goes beyond the actions of the inevitable "bad apples", the solution must equally go beyond merely rooting out and firing the current incarnations of the timeless "bad apple". Simply put, the police need to be scaled back, disarmed, and/or disempowered, to whatever extent we find necessary to reduce the unacceptable risk posed by those few, but inevitable, "bad apples".

Government's primary (some argue only) method of interaction is force; this is how taxes are collected and traffic laws enforced. Many police departments and much of police culture (spend some time on officer.com to confirm what I assert) take the very Churchillian view that "people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf", and take from that that it is their duty to be "rough" and commit violence, i.e. be state-sponsored thugs, rather than minimal-force-using officers of the court.

These days, if you refuse the lawful orders of an officer, he's likely to "taze" you into compliance; this is commonly viewed as an appropriate response to recalcitrant citizens, for "officer safety" and all that. What the officers who perform such actions don't realize is that they're meting out physical punishment as they see fit. The law specifies the penalty for refusal to obey a lawfully given police order, and it isn't being tazed or physically assaulted into compliance. The officer may arrest the citizen, using minimum escalation of force (remember, noncompliance with an order is not the same as physically resisting arrest), and haul him before a magistrate, to be charged with a crime, the punishment for which most assuredly does not consist of any physically violent penalties.

The problem is beyond which apples are bad and which remain "good".

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Police out of control? Escalating situations to gunfire? Naw, never happens in this day and age?

Oh wait, How about 20 year oldTyler Peterson on Crandon Wisconsin? Didn't he shoot 7 people with his duty rifle a couple years back??

http://www.channel3000.com/news/14299134/detail.html

Report: Peterson Enraged At Being Called 'Worthless Pig'
Seven People Killed, 1 Hurt In Rampage
Updated: 4:22 pm CDT October 9, 2007

14295300_240X180.jpg

Text Size
AAACRANDON, Wis. -- [/b]A Forest County sheriff's deputy who opened fire on a pizza party and killed six people in northern Wisconsin this weekend reportedly flew into a rage when he was rebuffed by his old girlfriend, and others at the gathering called him a "worthless pig."

Alexcabbie

imported post

Hypothetical situation: I am walking down the street. Unmarked cop car pulls up, two plainclothes officers (with badges on chains around the neck) jump out with guns drawn and order me to get my hands up. What do I do?

Well, maybe they are actually BGs with fake badges, or maybe they are real. What matters is THEY HAVE THE JUMP ON ME AND IF I AM ARMED A MOVE TOWARD MY WEAPON WILL GET ME SHOT FER SURE!!My option? Compliance.

After cuffing me they ask a whole lot of questions about where I was coming from, where am I going etc. Eventually I am turned loose with a thank you and an explanation:

A white male bearing my general description had accosted a lady about ten blocks away about ten minutes before and had assaulted her in some fashion. The cops had thrown a "peremeter" around the scene and worked from the outside in. Since Ihad been wearingthe same thing as the perp, and since I was running (so as to catch a television show which because of the brouhaha I missed) I became a "Person of interest". The questions I was asked were so designed as to try to catch me in some inconsistency as to why I was where I wasbehaving as I was. My honest answers cleared me. OH BY THE WAY

Did I say this was "hypothetical"? No, this really happened in November 1974in the 2400 block of Pershing Drive in Arlington, Va. To me. Me with my scruffy "beard" and long hippie hair and beads etc. And although they didn't find a weapon, I had on me a marijauna pipe made of a folding block of wood that was loaded with high-grade pot. The cops took it off me, looked it over to make sure it was not a weapon, and GAVE IT BACK. At that time the legal consequenses ofpot possession in VA were much more severe than now, but these cops knew enough to know that some kid with a loaded bowl was no threat to the social order per se. They wer3e looking for a potential rapist. I got the bowl back pot ad all and was told to go home.

It has been YEARS since the last time I waseven anywhere near pot, at least as far as I could tell. But when I read this LEO bashing without ALL the facts being presented, I tell you, some Blond Lebanese would go down pretty well right about now....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't bashed any LEOs.

If you'll notice, my criticism exists devoid of any analysis of any specific event, and regardless of whether or to what extend individual cops may be "bad apples".

Come visit SF and you'll have all the pot you could want. ;)

Alexcabbie

imported post

Right now I only need two pots. One to cook dinner in and one to whizz in and I work to maintain a windowsill to throw it out. I just posted a comment on Youtube about a dumbass LEO trying to make up the rules and bullying aa protestor. My specific comment was: "I'd have told him to go enforce sand up his ass". ("This is no longer America"). And I would have too. I am NOT a "bend over and think of England" type. I havr called out cops right out in the open in fromt of ppeople but then, having been one and having been a PI for a law firm I pretty much know what and when I can best a bully LEO. Once I got stopped in a "drug" neighborhood and was asked where I "belonged" and was toldd my OL said I "belong" in Virginia. I toldd the cop that I was not aware I had driven into Nazi Germany. The cop toldd me that "You could wind up going to jail with that attitude" and I toldd her that if she wanted to be sued for every dime she and the city were good for, she could arrest me for "bad attitude" and we could take it from there. This was in West Baltimore, and the whole exchange was witnessed by a gang of drug creeps. And when the cops finally beat a retreat, the druggies burst out in hoots and gave me raised-fist approvals. To which I replied that the cops ought to throw the lot of them under the jail, gave the mob the finger and got outta there. Fast.