• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court dispute ends in gunfire [Ark] Fire chief shot in court over tickets. WashingtonTimes.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/04/court-dispute-ends-in-gunfire/

JERICHO, Ark. (AP) | It was just too much, having to return to court twice on the same day to contest yet another traffic ticket, and fire Chief Don Payne didn't hesitate to tell the judge what he thought of the police and their speed traps.

The response from police officers? They shot him. Right there in court.

Chief Payne ended up in the hospital, but his shooting last week brought to a boil simmering tensions between residents of this tiny former cotton city and their police force. Drivers quickly learn to slow to a crawl along the gravel roads and the two-lane highway that run through Jericho, but they say sometimes that isn't enough to fend off the city ticketing machine.

"You can't even get them to answer a call because normally they're writing tickets," said Thomas Martin, chief investigator for the Crittenden County Sheriff's Office. "They're not providing a service to the citizens."

Now the police chief has disbanded his force "until things calm down," a judge has voided all outstanding police-issued citations and sheriff's deputies are asking where all the money from the tickets went. With 174 residents, the city can keep seven police officers on its rolls but missed payments on police and fire department vehicles and saw its last business close its doors a few weeks ago.

"You can't even buy a loaf of bread, but we've got seven police officers," said former resident Larry Harris, who left town because he said the police harassment became unbearable.

Sheriff's deputies patrolled Jericho until the 1990s, when the city received grant money to start its own police force, Mr. Martin said.

Police often camped out in the department's two cruisers along the highway that runs through town, waiting for drivers who failed to slow down when they reached the 45 mph zone ringing Jericho. Residents say the ticketing got out of hand.

"When I first moved out here, they wrote me a ticket for going 58 mph in my driveway," retiree Albert Beebe, 75, said.

The frequent ticketing apparently led to the vandalization of the cruisers, and the department took to parking the cars overnight at the sheriff's office eight miles away.

It was anger over traffic tickets that brought Chief Payne to City Hall last week, said his attorney, Randy Fishman. After failing to get a traffic ticket dismissed Aug. 27, police gave Chief Payne or his son another ticket that day. Chief Payne, 39, returned to court to vent his anger to Judge Tonya Alexander, Mr. Fishman said.

It's not clear what happened next, but Mr. Martin said an argument between Chief Payne and the seven police officers who attended the hearing apparently escalated to a scuffle, ending when an officer shot Chief Payne from behind.

Doctors in Memphis, Tenn., removed a .40-caliber bullet from Chief Payne's hip bone,

Mr. Martin said. Another officer suffered a grazing wound to his finger from the bullet.

Mr. Martin declined to name the officer who shot Chief Payne, pending the outcome of an investigation. No charges have been filed, and it's not clear whether the officer has been disciplined.

TFred

imported post

Seven police officers for 174 citizens? This sounds like The Dukes of Hazzard.

Where's the Justice Department? Oh wait... I guess they are too busy these days...

TFred

Alexcabbie

imported post

The GOOD NEWS is that stuff like this is still NEWS. Still, good freaking grief. ARE YOU SURE THIS ISN'T A HOAX???? I have never heard of such a thing, and I would think that police opening up on a traffic defendant in a courtroom in the USA would ...OH, just caught the date, and it's the Washington Times to boot. They usually get it right, but I just can't believe this.

Maryland had (may still have) a program for small towns who just wanted to hire one or two Town Clowns to cruise around and make them feel protected. A 18-year-old kid could go to a truncated academy and get "OJT" under the supervision of State and County police. I was trying to make a delivery in Berwin Hts MD when I got jacked up by the local clown who observed me cruising around and circling the block. It took half an hour and a PG County sergeant before that whippersnapper was satisfied that I was not casing his fief.

But this?? Man, you have GOT to be kidding me.

TFred

imported post

It's all over the news now.

Check this one out: http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/Crittenden-County-Investigators-Considering/5yD4SQlZGkWQ2ag4n14QZQ.cspx

This is one crazy little town. The victim's mother was interviewed but did not want to show her face on camera. Ummm... in a town of 174, you're the mother of the guy who got shot... I sort of think people are going to know who you are...

The mayor is supposed to hold a press conference today sometime to explain all this. Good luck with that.

TFred

Alexcabbie

imported post

TFred wrote:
It's all over the news now.

Check this one out: http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/Crittenden-County-Investigators-Considering/5yD4SQlZGkWQ2ag4n14QZQ.cspx

This is one crazy little town. The victim's mother was interviewed but did not want to show her face on camera. Ummm... in a town of 174, you're the mother of the guy who got shot... I sort of think people are going to know who you are...

The mayor is supposed to hold a press conference today sometime to explain all this. Good luck with that.

TFred
YA THINK?? How much you wanna bet the family trees look like telephone poles and the local church has back-ordered copperheads?? SHEEEEEEEESH!

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/04/court-dispute-ends-in-gunfire/

JERICHO, Ark. (AP) | It was just too much, having to return to court twice on the same day to contest yet another traffic ticket, and fire Chief Don Payne didn't hesitate to tell the judge what he thought of the police and their speed traps.

The response from police officers? They shot him. Right there in court.
Knock off the cop bashing.

Or let's just be honest, for a change, and admit that they're the enemy. Gratuitous comment for the slow kids: yes, I know all cops aren't bad. That said, the percentage of bad ones is so high that we need to be mature adults and recognize that they're a threat to Liberty and are destroying America.

It's time to be reasonable.

r6-rider

imported post

im surprised those cops are still alive. if citizens have resorted to vandalizing their cars its just a matter of time before it escalates

Alexcabbie

imported post

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!! A THOUSAND TIMES NO!! Here we go jumping to conclusions without even hearing both sides of the story. This story was an API news feed, how reliable are THEY?? The police are MOST ASSUREDLY NOT THE ENEMY. I believe I tried in another thread to compare their job and public perception to mine. The more I think it over, the more I know that as far as we know, we know very little, really.

We do not shoot to kill, we shoot to live, to protect innocent life. Was this fire chief wall-to-wall and 6 feet tall and was the cop who fired afraid that his partner was about to get his neck broken?? What do the antis use against us but attempting to trump reason with emotion, waving the bloody shirt at every opportunity.

I am really very very suspicious of anyone who comes out and uses an (apparrent) outrage such as this to try and get us to agree that the police are "the enemy" This is the mark of an agent provocatur

The whole matter is much more complex than can be dealt with in a forum post. I will probably gather my thoughts sufficiently in a couple days to post on my blog and reference it, but I have seen police departments morph and change over time. When I first came here, the D.C. Metropolitan Police were the envy of the Law Enforcement community. Alexandria was a red-necky armpit of a hole and Arlington was a sleepy little bedroom policed by rubes. Both departments were good-ol'-boy organizations and they had stupid louts galore. And the cops in Falls Church were Barney Fifes with bullets. Today both Arlington and Alexandria PDs are nationally accredited and MPDC is something of a local and national joke. Falls Church is still a 5 mile long 1 1/2 mile wide speed trap, but at least the cops are nice when they yank you over. In the worst times of the suburban departments and in DC today there were and are a God's plenty of individuals who picked law enforcement to protect and serve their fellow citizens.

Granted this situation we are talking about here sounds - words fail me - terrible. But we don't know everything yet, so let's let it percolate a bit before rushing to judgement.

FrankC

imported post

Alex, all I have in reply is 174:7....Add to that the fact that they "disbanded until things calm down" and you have a bunch of crooks hiding behind badges at best. They are probably lucky that this happened before people decided that vigilantism was in their best interests.

r6-rider

imported post

yea i thought of that. especially because down here, i love our cops and i understand their job. i have never seen such a dedicated police force for public service. all the cops iv talked to, dealt with, and worked with are all very understanding of common sense and fairness.

however a town of a hundred something people and writing tickets non stop? that does sound like they are just being dicks

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's not clear what happened next, but Mr. Martin said an argument between Chief Payne and the seven police officers who attended the hearing apparently escalated to a scuffle, ending when an officer shot Chief Payne from behind.
Seven against one, and one of the officers thought it fitting to shoot the Fire Cheif?

That town doesn't even need a police dept, with only 174 residents. I live in a county of 7,800, the only LEA is the SO, and they only have about 7 or 8 patrol officers on the payroll.

KBCraig

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
That town doesn't even need a police dept, with only 174 residents. I live in a county of 7,800, the only LEA is the SO, and they only have about 7 or 8 patrol officers on the payroll.
I grew up on the exact opposite side of Arkansas (opposite both geographically, and demographically).

In my county, there was/is the county seat (population 5k+), and 5 other towns ranging in population from 120 to under 700. Only the county seat and one other town (population about 550) had police forces; the latter only had one because it was the headquarters (at that time) of Tyson Chicken, and the police force was paid for by Tyson, and served as their de facto security.

(When Tyson moved their HQ, that town kept their PD, albeit a bit downsized, but they expanded their city limits up and down the highway to make the town "5 miles long by right-of-way wide". Obviously, it's now a speed trap.)

I currently live in a Texas town of 2.200. Our PD has a full time chief and a full time supervisor. Patrols are conducted by part-timers keeping their TCLEOSE certifications active. We might have 7 total on the force, but I haven't checked lately.

There is no way I can envision a town of less than 2,000 having even 5 officers.

BTW, when I was growing up, we managed just fine with no police at all.

N00blet45

imported post

Sounds like they need to do more than just burn cruisers. They need to run those pigs out of their town.

Not all police officers are pigs, most are probably just normal people. However these cops sound like they are trying to run the town. Pay the toll or you get shot, even in court.

I wouldn't piss off the fire chief though. I'm sure he knows how to start a fire and he could make the call to not respond with any trucks.

TFred

imported post

I will admit that I'm a little bit scared to post on this thread again, but this is just too much to let go unreported.

They've charged the shooting victim here with battery!! (This is the fire chief who, though outnumbered seven to one by the town's police officer / traffic ticket revenuers, was shot in the back by one of them during a courtroom "scuffle".) There are no plans to charge any of the revenuers for shooting him.

Wow.

TFred

Jericho Fire Chief Shot by Officers in Court; Charged with Battery
Reported by: Lacey Crisp
Email: LCrisp@MyEyewitnessNews.com

WEST MEMPHIS, AR - A man shot by cops inside a small town courtroom in Arkansas is now charged with battery on a police officer. The shooting happened two weeks ago in Jericho.

Fire chief Don Payne was arguing a traffic ticket, and got into an argument with officers. One of the officers shot Payne in the back. West Memphis city attorney Lindsey Fairley says none of the police officers will be charged.

Fairley says Payne went after officers, and the officers had every right to detain Payne.

Payne says he was not armed, and that the officer pushed him. That's when Payne says he shoved the officer back.

One of the police officers shot Payne, a bullet also grazed one of the officer's hands. Fairley says Payne tried to beat up the officers.

Payne has hired a lawyer. That lawyer says they haven't decided if they will file a civil lawsuit against the officer. Payne is still recovering at The MED.

Many in the town say the argument stemmed from what they call, “over the top traffic tickets.” City Attorney Fairley says he is not investigating the tickets, but says most have been dismissed because they were outside the town's geographical limits. Crittenden County Sheriff's deputies are investigating.