• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC at taste of Co

zig-zag

imported post

Thats the way I read 18-12-214 that a local government does not have the authority toadopt or enforce an ordiance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this. In all areas of the state means all areas except where prohibited by Federal Law. Do we all agree on this, and yes we are on the same side whether we agree with each other or not.Denver does not allow open carry no matter if you have a permit or not as everyone is aware of. I don,t know if the city put up the signs or perhaps the vendors there but they can not enforce the no conceal carry law because of the pre-emption law, but they can enforce the OPEN CARRY of firearms who disagrees or agrees with that. So inother words, just because there is a gathering of people in the area they cannot make any special ordinance for the affair just for the time the taste of colorado is there, am I right or wrong, I know that Wolf will disagree with me everything I said so far I was wrong but thats Ok he has a right to as lomg as things stay civil and doesn't get personal. Maybe you (wolf) should do as you tell me and read all the laws about where open carry and conceal carry laws differ not just the ones that justify what you think

RLCbushpilot

imported post

I can see Wolf's point about the area possibly being seen as controlled by the business entity. However I don't think in this situation that the public streets can be controlled by a private entity. If the area was roped off and admission charged to get in, then I could see an argument being made for the organization having control over the space.

There is another thing to be brought up here. If a business chooses to post no firearms signs then I am going to respect their wishes and not patronize them. However if I don't see the sign I am not in violation of any law if I walk into the business. I have seen stories across these forums of people carrying into places and being asked to leave. As long as you leave when asked you are legal. If you don't leave you can be charged with trespassing. No firearms signs in Colorado carry no weight of law. Trespassing comes into play when you have been asked to leave and refuse.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

Wolf81504 wrote:
So now we are at a dead end? That's gunna bug me.... I hate dead ends, and I'll try to get a hold of the AG via email, and see what he say's.
I've never tried getting an opinion from the Attorney General, but everyone I know who did was told that the AG won't give an opinion to a private citizen. His job apparently is to give opinions to government officials, not us.

Let us know what happens.

mahkagari

imported post

The thing about ToC and streetfestivals in general, it seems that their signage is inconsistent. I.e. they'll have big signs with festival rules at "main" entrances, or at least the busy ones, but when it comestoa back corner, I have trouble findingany signs for outside food and drink, coolers, glass bottles, etc. let alone firearms. I mean if there's a barricade up to block vehicles, but ample pedestrian room, I consider it an "entrance"but I rarely see signs there.

DripDry

imported post

Perhaps it is influential to know that one must complete a rental agreement with the city to rent the location taking all responsibility for activities that occur there, and they may not hold the city and county of Denver responsibility for any liability:
http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/626/documents/RentalApplication.pdf

I was on the fence over this, Wolf and Rabbit both produced compelling arguments over the laws, but I think the rental agreement nearly enforces the right of the renter to enact upon, and enforce behaviors as though it were there own property and clearly liability for the term of the rental agreement to protect.

But the lawyers would have to take the argument from here I'm afraid.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

I think this document (http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/658/documents/2009FestivalEventApplication.pdf)
is a little more applicable, since this was a festival on city property, not rental of a specific facility.

One of the rules in this document is a prohibition on weapons by the city. Again, I don't see any way this is enforceable against concealed carry. I can't imagine that this agreement makes the tenant "owner" of the area legally.

I think the agreement posted by DripDry above states the rights of the city against the renter, not so much the rights of the renter against guests.

One question: does the tenant have the right to limit other constitutional rights of guests under this agreement?

DripDry

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
I think this document (http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/658/documents/2009FestivalEventApplication.pdf)
is a little more applicable, since this was a festival on city property, not rental of a specific facility.

One of the rules in this document is a prohibition on weapons by the city. Again, I don't see any way this is enforceable against concealed carry. I can't imagine that this agreement makes the tenant "owner" of the area legally.

I think the agreement posted by DripDry above states the rights of the city against the renter, not so much the rights of the renter against guests.

One question: does the tenant have the right to limit other constitutional rights of guests under this agreement?
Ah yes, that document does seem more pertinent.
Your question creates interest though. Can the event coordinator and\or staff eject you for distributing free speech pamphlets, or speaking openly to a crowd of an unsavory topic?

Perhaps is all I can venture to guess. :?

Anubis

imported post

Wolf81504 wrote:
However 29-11.7-104 also say's that they MUST POST a no carry sign at the ENTRANCE of the building/area that they do not want weapons.
29-11.7-104 lists requirements for a local government to prohibit open carry. It does not allow local regulation ofconcealed carry (Denver being the only exception).