• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Valparaiso detention for OC

templar223

imported post

OC didn't go so swimmingly for this guy at an Obamacare rally in Valparaiso.

From the page:

OBAMACARE RALLY AND COUNTER PROTEST/DETAINED BY POLICE FOR LEGAL OPEN CARRY!!*EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE!*PART2
Hey guys.Today in a town by me there was an obamacare rally and a massive counter protest.In total about 50 people turned out in support of obamacare and the other 200 came to oppose it.Anyway me and my associate both open carry our firearms everywhere we go.Everything was going fine until an officer of the Valparaiso police department approached me asking what i had on my side then proceeded to grab my arm(assault?) and walk me to the back of a car and had me spread eagle like a criminal.He then proceeded to grill me on carrying a pistol and tell me that it was a "privilege" and "NOT A RIGHT!!". I maintained respect for the officers though i felt my rights were being violated and continued to remind them of my constitutional rights.When i set the camera down it fell over so all i got was audio.In the end my carry license and ID where legit and i was returned my firearm.I was nice to the police and offered to conceal even though i didnt have to.I just would like to say that aside from the grabbing of my arm and immediate treatment like a criminal,the Valparaiso police officers were very friendly,especially the female officer i had a nice conversation with and i have the up most respect for law enforcement.The vids are a little choppy because i edited out a lot of walking and stuff and i edited out my personal info and dead time in the second. I am just left wondering if the police these days even have to learn the constitution Less..

Walking around:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eb5_1251953775

He gets detained here:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2b1_1251954307

I send this letter to the chief this morning:

The gentleman with a permit that was open carrying at the Obamacare event featured on the LiveLeak video appeared to be doing nothing wrong.

For your officer to suggest that he was "going to scare other people" as the main basis for the detention is not the carrier's problem, but rather the problem of "other people".

Just as we don't stop and question black men in white neighborhoods "because they might scare other people," we should not stop and detain individuals solely because they are observed to be open carrying.

I would urge you to better educate your officers on this matter. "Sensitivity training," if you will.

I look forward to being able to open carry (with my permits) in your city without being accosted by your police officers.

Thank you in advance.

John

Jubbie

imported post

Good letter. I don't write letters because I wouldn't be able to show restraint. The gentleman this happened to isn't too concerned about it since he considered the officer to be nice after the initial confrontation. Plenty of others like myself are upset that it happened in the first place. I'm more annoyed with the cops who admit to knowing the law but detain you regardless because of their own thoughts instead of the law. That's how police states are ran. If no law is broken, the officers should not run OCers through the ringer.

templar223

imported post

I don't know about the expense of suing, but I'd want a sit-down with the chief and assurances that his officers would be better trained in the future. An apology from the chief and/or the officer initiating the stop would be very kind as well.

If the chief was an ass, then a suit would probably be considered.

We don't detain people in America to "make sure they are legal" or because of others' unfounded fears. Nowhere in Terry v. Ohio does it say "Stop and frisk is okay to make sure Joe Sixpack is legal in what he's doing" - or any other caselaw.

John

Rattrapper

imported post

I listened to the audio, The cop sounds "real inteligent" he uses the word "ok" like a valley girl. Every phrase was ended wth "ok" What do you want for a cop who doesn't believe anyone has rights but cops.

PS. are you Templar223 for a reason?

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

templar223 wrote:
OC didn't go so swimmingly for this guy at an Obamacare rally in Valparaiso.

From the page:

OBAMACARE RALLY AND COUNTER PROTEST/DETAINED BY POLICE FOR LEGAL OPEN CARRY!!*EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE!*PART2
Hey guys.Today in a town by me there was an obamacare rally and a massive counter protest.In total about 50 people turned out in support of obamacare and the other 200 came to oppose it.Anyway me and my associate both open carry our firearms everywhere we go.Everything was going fine until an officer of the Valparaiso police department approached me asking what i had on my side then proceeded to grab my arm(assault?) and walk me to the back of a car and had me spread eagle like a criminal.He then proceeded to grill me on carrying a pistol and tell me that it was a "privilege" and "NOT A RIGHT!!". I maintained respect for the officers though i felt my rights were being violated and continued to remind them of my constitutional rights.When i set the camera down it fell over so all i got was audio.In the end my carry license and ID where legit and i was returned my firearm.I was nice to the police and offered to conceal even though i didnt have to.I just would like to say that aside from the grabbing of my arm and immediate treatment like a criminal,the Valparaiso police officers were very friendly,especially the female officer i had a nice conversation with and i have the up most respect for law enforcement.The vids are a little choppy because i edited out a lot of walking and stuff and i edited out my personal info and dead time in the second. I am just left wondering if the police these days even have to learn the constitution Less..

Walking around:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eb5_1251953775

He gets detained here:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2b1_1251954307

I send this letter to the chief this morning:

The gentleman with a permit that was open carrying at the Obamacare event featured on the LiveLeak video appeared to be doing nothing wrong.

For your officer to suggest that he was "going to scare other people" as the main basis for the detention is not the carrier's problem, but rather the problem of "other people".

Just as we don't stop and question black men in white neighborhoods "because they might scare other people," we should not stop and detain individuals solely because they are observed to be open carrying.

I would urge you to better educate your officers on this matter. "Sensitivity training," if you will.

I look forward to being able to open carry (with my permits) in your city without being accosted by your police officers.

Thank you in advance.

John

There is just one thing that really worries me about this.... You carried to protest and show your rights, but when challenged back down and agreed to hid your handgun.

I am not trying to be mean or attack, but does that help or reinforce the police thinking it is ok to browbeat OCers into not carrying?

langzaiguy

imported post

I used to go to church with the police chief, mayor, and the prosecutor. Though the latter could be arrogant, all are great guys & are conservatives. I seem to recall someone mentioning that as long as you had your LTCH, you could strap the dang thing to your forehead for all he (chief) cares.

Sounds like this particular dude is a rogue cop.

templar223

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
templar223 wrote:

There is just one thing that really worries me about this.... You carried to protest and show your rights, but when challenged back down and agreed to hid your handgun.

I am not trying to be mean or attack, but does that help or reinforce the police thinking it is ok to browbeat OCers into not carrying?
You?

No, wasn't me.

Templar223 = The role the K.T.'s played in shepherding the pilgrims to the Holy Lands + .223 which in hindsight would be 556.

John