• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Longmont/Boulder Area

Teddy B

imported post

Hello all!

I'm very new to the boards, but I live in Berthoud and was wondering how many people here can tell me their experiences [good/bad] about carrying in the Longmont/Boulder area.

It seems the Loveland area is relatively receptive [with some exceptions...], but I wasn't seeing much for the area S of me.

Thanks!

zig-zag

imported post

I have never OC there but have in Westminster and Arvada without any problems. If you OC there let us know how it goes.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

I've OC'd intermittently in Longmont (I open carried to the Fourth of July concert in the park a year ago, surrounded by about 3,000 people), and have never had any kind of confrontation. Mahkagari has also carried in Longmont, and I don't think he's had any issues.

Longmont does have signs up along the Saint Vrain Greenway prohibiting firearms, and, in fact, there's a city ordinance prohibiting firearms in any City park, although I don't think any of the parks are posted. I have a letter from the City Attorney claiming that the City has the authority to prohibit open carry because of the Meyer decision.

I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for open carry in Longmont.

Teddy B

imported post

Well, I OC'd for the first time ever yesterday in Longmont :)

I started small with a couple trips to McD's and Wal*Mart [late at night for Wal*Mart] and didn't have any trouble.

The clerk at McD's kinda glanced at my gun for a bit, and then back up at my eyes to take my order.

I offered to help an elderly woman out with her bags at WalMart [she was also on crutches!] but she declined [her car was very close]. She wanted to know if I was "security" and she made it very clear to me that she was very quick and strong about saying that she appreciated my offer very much and that she was NOT frightened by my gun and she wished me a great/safe weekend.

Overall, it was a great confidence-boosting trip and I plan on OCing more often. It's not a responsiblity that I take lightly, but it's one that I feel compelled to take on.

That poem of "why I carry" [that EVERYONE has probably seen a million times on this forum] describes why I feel so compelled, but for your sanity's sake, I'm not going to repost it ;)

DripDry

imported post

I am a citizen of Longmont, and you may be surprised to learn that I do not own any firearms. But I am also not here as detractor. I have not seen anyone OC in Longmont, but would not be startled by it. OC owners demonstrate knowledge of the law, knowledge of their weapon, and (this may be a biased generalization) have no criminal intent or any other deviousness going on, less the gun draw attention to their uncouth, criminal or nefarious activity. It seems the most responsible gun owners, and those more likley to be protecters in an uncommon situation, are those with their handguns at the ready. CC concerns me more, as the motivations for weapons concealment are varied (in my opinion).

cleardiddion

imported post

I OC'd all around Boulder and Longmont this past summer no problem.

I think the only time I was commented on was around the Havanna Manor on Ken Pratt and Sportsmans Warehouse; but, these were more out of curiosity than anything else.

I'd say Longmont OC is a definite positive thing.

mahkagari

imported post

Sportsmans Warehouse or Sports Authority? What was the comment?

cleardiddion

imported post

Oh, I guess it's sports authority.

Anywho, I was wearing my 1895 nagant that day and the guy commented that he'd never seen a revolver like that and was inquisitive as to where to get ammo for it.

A very friendly conversation as I recall.