• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FEMALE RIGHTS

PYRO PSR

imported post

MY SISTER WAS ATTACKED BY 2 MEN THAT INVADED HER HOUSE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO WHILE SHE WAS SLEEPING. SHE NOW CARRIES A GLOCK .40 WITH HER AND IS GOIN TO GET HER CCW IN A COUPLE WEEKS. I WAS WONDERING IF THE LAW IS MORE LENIENT WITH FEMALES SEEING THAT THEY ARE OUT POWERED BY MALES. IF A MALE IS APPROACHING AND SHE WARNS THEM, IS IT JUSTIFIED IF SHE SHOOTS?

r6-rider

imported post

if she can prove she feared for her life, but no theres no difference between sex in a court room. however it is human nature to be biased and usually when a female shoots a man out of fear there is a reason. theres a new justification law protecting you from "brandishing" if you draw your weapon out of fear for your personal safety. thats terrible that happened though, around what area did this take place? you dont have to say if you dont want to im just curious

r6-rider

imported post

im sure shes going through alot of hell right now so make sure she doesnt become... idk over paranoid i guess? the last thing you want to happen is for her to shoot a guy because she felt she was in danger when really she wasnt. then the court will look at it as a PTSD type situation and then it could become negligent homocide. so defiantly make sure she gets alot of help and support through her tough situation and doesnt view every man as a danger to her life cause it could turn out very bad

PYRO PSR

imported post

YEAH I WAS THINKIN THAT EXACT THING. IVE SPOKEN TO HER ABOUT THAT ALOT OF TIMES TO TRY TO GET IT THROUGH HER HEAD. THEY SPLIT HER HEAD OPEN AND HAD TO GET STITCHED UP. SO SHE IS GOING THROUGH ALOT

Thoreau

imported post

In a defensive shooting, one item that my CCW instructor went over in a lot of detail was the issue of disparity of force. This applies to basically which side was more 'powerful' in the situation. If a 6ft bodybuiling male shot out of defense against a 5ft tall woman, that would be a bad thing. Go in reverse, however, and it adds one more knot to the rope for the shooter's defense. A small woman, senior, child, etc. would all be able to claim disparity of force against the average man based on size alone.

This on its own does NOT make a good shoot, but is just one aspect that will come up in court after the fact.

Definitely sucks what happened though. If she is new to guns, I do hope she is at least not carrying with one in the pipe to start off with, especially right after what happened. Glocks are good guns, but without any form of manual safety it could be a little risky for a newcomer to carry condition 1 immediately after such an incident. Just be sure to encourage her, get her into as much training as is feasible, and go slowly and I think we'll have another great person among the ranks of carriers in AZ =)

PYRO PSR

imported post

THAT IS VERY TRUE. SHE IS NOT NEW TO GUNS. OUR BROTHER ALWAYS TOOK US HUNTING AND SHE GREW UP WITH KNOWLEDGE OF GUNS. BUT I AGREE, WALKIN AROUND WITH 1 IN READY TO GO IS VERY RISKY FOR HER SITUATAION. ILL BE SURE TO HAVE A GOOD TALK WITH HER AND REMIND HER TO KEEP TRAINING. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES.

wewd

imported post

You might want to turn your Billy Mays key (caps lock) off. Makes it hard to read your posts. Sorry to hear about what happened to your sister. It's just one more reason why good people need to be armed all the time, because you can't know where or when you will face danger.

TheMrMitch

imported post

There is a thing called disparity. I am 67 and not in the physical shape I used to be in and MOST women are not near the physical shape as a male.

She, as well as I, would most certainly be looked on by our peers as being at a disadvantage by a healthy maleattacker.

Each case would be different.

DMGNUT

imported post

Most defensive hand gun courses willteach about "warnings". Someone is approaching who raises your internal alarm... use a verbal "STOP!", but they continue to approach...draw your weapon and give a verbal, "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT!". The third response will be to open fire. Of course if you are under attack or already being attacked, the first two go right out the window, and the shooting commences immediately.

The verbal aspects of your warnings to a "would be" attacker are veryimportant, as the people across the parking lot or down the street (who didn't actually see the attack) will still testify that they heard someone holler, "STOP!", and then, "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT!", before the shots rang out.

If the "would be" attacker, was not really up to "no good", he''ll run away or at least back way off. If he continues to advance, he's either mentally unstable or really is up to "no good". She mayhave to answer questions from the cops that are called, but that's far better than the alternative.

It would of course be far better that she never had to experience this, but hopefully she willcome through this a stronger person. She will need a lot of support.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Females have no 'special' rights in Arizona.

AZC Sec 2 Art 26. Bearing arms

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men."

Any citizennot otherwise prohibited (Gun Control Act of 1968 18 USC) may bear arms openly in Arizona. No permit is required for the free exercise of the right. AZ CWP is issued to conceal (as a mode of carry). Bearing arms is an unrestricted and recognizedright.

clemintine

imported post

i will keep your sister in my thoughts and prayers.

you are right to insure she keeps her training current and hopefully she will not "over react" in a given situation. while she would have the benefit of a self defense stance, if she was again threatened by a male larger than her, remember that any attorney for her attacker will bring up her recent purchase of a gun after an attack and her "mental state" post attack.

you might want to encourage her to check out one of the woman's gun groups on the net. (for example: second amendment sisters, women against gun control, armed females of america) they may be able to give her perspective and support from a female point of view.....;)

she is lucky to have you for support!

me812

imported post

Definitely sucks what happened though. If she is new to guns, I do hope she is at least not carrying with one in the pipe to start off with, especially right after what happened. Glocks are good guns, but without any form of manual safety it could be a little risky for a newcomer to carry condition 1 immediately after such an incident.

You're absolutely right. It would be much better for this woman to have a revolver, preferably DAO with a nice, heavy trigger pull. That's about as close to fool-proof as a good fighting handgun can get.