• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email to the Attorney General's Office

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

THE LOVER wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
per the bolded part, why did it take the state demand to be trained in order for you to seek training when you KNEW you were not trained by yourself?
Your statement of "Trained by yourself" is ridiculous when it comes to guns!

Reading things in books or magazines is a good start (No internet back then) However to think that you are trained without actually using the handgun, ranges only allow people with proper training certificates to shoot. and I don't live in the woods so no backyard shooting at my house.
not what I meant, but that's my fault for not being clearer.

what I was getting at is why did you wait for the state to demand you get trained instead of seeking it out on your own beforehand, like going to handgun classes and ranges, etc.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
THE LOVER wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
per the bolded part, why did it take the state demand to be trained in order for you to seek training when you KNEW you were not trained by yourself?
Your statement of "Trained by yourself" is ridiculous when it comes to guns!

Reading things in books or magazines is a good start (No internet back then) However to think that you are trained without actually using the handgun, ranges only allow people with proper training certificates to shoot. and I don't live in the woods so no backyard shooting at my house.
not what I meant, but that's my fault for not being clearer.

what I was getting at is why did you wait for the state to demand you get trained instead of seeking it out on your own beforehand, like going to handgun classes and ranges, etc.
Copied from my last post
ranges only allow people with proper training certificates to shoot. and I don't live in the woods so no backyard shooting at my house.

So when I decided that I wanted to carry for protection. I took the NRA basic pistol safety course!

Why is that so hard to understand?

Should I have been trained before I had an interest in handguns or carrying for protection??

And if I could legally carry without a permit would I have ponied up the cash for the training course? Probably not..and most WOULDN'T they and I would put the training money into another gun or holster or any other costs involved with owning guns.

Just stating my honest opinion.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Former Nutmegger here, now residing in Pennsylvania. Here, there is no requirement whatsoever for one to have any training at all in order to either own or carry a firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun), or to get a license to carry concealed. Here, it is viewed as a Personal Responsibility to get training, and, rightfully so, the State holds you personally responsible if you are not aware of the laws or proper handling of a firearm and screw up.

Some people are better trained than others, others you can have take all the training classes you can think of and you still wouldn't trust them with anything more dangerous than a butter knife. How many negligent discharges do the police have? So much for training.

atrule

imported post

I used to think of a redeeming quality for the pistol permit. The only redeeming quality I could think of is that you go through some course.

However, now, I don't think this is even a good thing. The one day course is so basic, it has little long term value. The pistol permit requirement discourages people from trying it out without a big initial commitment. Consequently, there are fewer active gun owners. What this causes is less gun education over all, and it is more of a hassle to get it.

I agree with Statkowski, and other friends from out of state with more of a gun culture. They seem to intrinsically have more knowledge and safety than average gun owner in Connecticut. I believe it is because they are around them so much more.

I suppose it is like a car. We don't have any compunction to drive a huge piece of power equipment with the power of several sticks of dynamite in the gas tank. We don't worry when kids are on the street with them going by. Why? Because it is part of the background of living. It isn't that way with guns here. It is somewhat that way in other gun culture places like Vermont, W. Virginia, etc. Since it is kinda part of the back ground in those places, they don't even think of safety, they just somehow intrinsically have it in their heads. That is far safer than the permit process that we have to get safety. Especially with so few gun owner/operators.

It didn't used to be this way in Connecticut. It is just years of left-wing hyper-apron-strings, of which I am sad to admit, I am a victim of. However, I am recovering. ;-)

Not all gun ranges require a pistol permit to shoot there. I have brought friends.

As far as training. It is expensive now. And, I would not like to pay $120.00 for that simple class. Although, I would if there were no other way. But, if there were more people around, you can go to the range and ask a neighbor. Most the time I go the the range, I am always asking things of strangers, and learning a lot. That's more effective than a class, and cheaper too. When you get started off like this, you begin to compile a bunch of questions, and are better about to vet out the appropriate class for you. I bet more going to the range and seeing things would/does make more demand for other safety/defense classes.

Finally, Mr. LOVER, I have to say, you are not unpopular in my book. I don't agree with you (now), but I think your thought was very much worthy of mentioning. It stirred thought in my head, and we discussed a little bit of the economics of gun safety classes. I am very glad you brought it up. And, because of that, I LOVE you very much just the way you are. ;-)

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

One last bit of info from the Keystone State: There are approximately 9,131,130 residents age 21 or over. Out of this, approximately 627,409 (6.9% of the adult population) possess licenses to carry firearms (LTCFs = required for concealed carry or carry in a vehicle; no license required for open carry). All of this with no training requirement. And very little blood running in the streets, or shoot-outs over parking spaces. No license required to purchase or own a firearm.

A number of us gun owners wrote to our elected state officials and to the State Police, and finally the annual police training throughout the state is mentioning that open carry is legal, is not disorderly conduct or terroristic threatening (we have no brandishing or inducing a panic law), and is not, on its own, a reason to stop and hassle a citizen.

I would recommend all Nutmeggers keep hammering away at the Attorney General, the State Police, and the elected state officials.