Thread: National Forest rules

Post imported post

I'm prepping for a 2 night camping trip in the Coronado National Forest area and the subject came up of bringing our .22's out for some cheap target fun. I'm searching the FS website, but can't seem to find anything on the subject of wether or not that would be allowed on national forest lands. Anyone happent to know?

I've shot out on BLM land before and that was all clear, and of course a national PARK is a definite no-go, but forest land is a new territory for me.

Post imported post

just call the rangers where your staying. I went out to Tonto national forest in august and we shot our guns no problem . You just need to contact the rangers to see if they allow it.

Post imported post

District rangers can create usage rules for all sorts of things, and these won't be published on any website. Contacting the district office is the only way to know (either that, or stop and read the bulletin board very carefully!)

Post imported post

I agree with lowlander and craig, on checking with the rangers for that area. Generally speaking it is OK, unless there is an elevated risk of fire. Make sure to pick-up all your brass.

Post imported post

There is actually a map:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recrea...ng-index.shtml

With all the places you CAN'T SHOOT. Just follow this and the signs all over the place, and be careful and you wont get in trouble. Don't shoot over or from a road, and they will leave you alone.