• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Alaska

coffeyc

imported post

Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I am currently in Texas, the land of illegal gun laws.

I am heading to Osan AB Korea for a year and then to Anchorage Alaska.

I am really looking forward to openly carrying and getting to exercise my 2nd ammendment right.

My wife is even starting to talk about getting a gun. Just in case of Bear and Moose.

Hopefully I will meet some of you in 1 1/2 years.

coffeyc

imported post

After researching a lot and talking with other people, I have come to see that you are not very likely to need your gun in Alaska (animals keep to them selves, and an armed society it a polite society).

I was talking with my supervisor who came in from Alaska and I was telling him that I could OC a .50 Desert Eagle, and probably conceal carry my S&W 9mm. He told me if I come across a bear with the 9 to remove the front sight before shooting so it won't hurt as bad when the bear chases me down and shoves it up the tailpipe.

So point taken...don't annoy bears with pea shooters.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

coffeyc wrote:
After researching a lot and talking with other people, I have come to see that you are not very likely to need your gun in Alaska (animals keep to them selves, and an armed society it a polite society).

I was talking with my supervisor who came in from Alaska and I was telling him that I could OC a .50 Desert Eagle, and probably conceal carry my S&W 9mm. He told me if I come across a bear with the 9 to remove the front sight before shooting so it won't hurt as bad when the bear chases me down and shoves it up the tailpipe.

So point taken...don't annoy bears with pea shooters.
Can you do me a huge favor?
if you find a way to comfortably carry that Desert Eagle in a holster, and by not needing a wheelbarrow to haul it around. Please post your findings. I had a D-E in .41 Mag. (I liked the ballistics better than the .50) and I never found a good way to carry it in a holster. I even tried a bandolier holster across my chest with little luck. A drop-leg tactical holster was no better.
I miss shooting the gun, but not trying to carry it. I used mine for deer hunting, I added the 10" barrel and a holographic sight to it. I was tight out to 75 yards with that gun on my handloads with Hornady XTP/JHP's

FarNorth

imported post

Here's a little guy we ran into over the weekend on the Kenai. Your correct,, the 9mm would of just annoyed him enough to have someone for lunch. Most of the time they just ignore you like this guy did.

coffeyc

imported post

I have a question for those of you up in Anchorage area.Do I have to have a 4X4 truck or vehicle up there, or will my 2wd Titan be fine. I love my Truck and do not want to get rid of it.

FarNorth

imported post

4X not required, roads are for the most part kept pretty clear. Although 2X trucks being light in the rear struggle a bit a the icy intersections or if your stopped at a light on a hill. Front wheel drive cars do fine. I think overall you would be happier with anything 4X just because it gets old spinning at green lights and such and those days when there is a pretty good snowfall and the city is slow with the plowing. Also,, even if the main roads are plowed the side streets may not get done very quickly and that can be a pain.

I'm sure others will have more opinions and add to this. Hope I helped.

FN

david.ross

imported post

coffeyc wrote:
I have a question for those of you up in Anchorage area.Do I have to have a 4X4 truck or vehicle up there, or will my 2wd Titan be fine. I love my Truck and do not want to get rid of it.
Personally, I use vehicles with AWD. You'll understand why after spending a winter here in Alaska.

As for "not needing a gun", bullocks. Wildlife generally don't go rampaging through the city, but there are always times when you go outside of anchorage to go hiking etc.

If you go hiking in the state park, many firearms-type people like instructors and tour guides will carry a short barrel shotgun with slugs. You certainly don't want to get in a situation with a bear, and sometimes they get irritated. I've had a black bear be very mouthy to me, but he did not charge or come close.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Insane Kangaroo, I was thinking my coach gun or Winchester 1300 defender loaded with slugs might be a good gun to carry around in the woods.

Flintlock

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Personally, I use vehicles with AWD. You'll understand why after spending a winter here in Alaska.
I agree, 4wd vehiclesat the very least, but AWD seems to do very well here. I once had a 2wd truck and had nothing but problems all winter and was stuck in my own parking spot numerous times.

As for "not needing a gun", bullocks. Wildlife generally don't go rampaging through the city, but there are always times when you go outside of anchorage to go hiking etc.
Generally this is true,but they do in parts of South Central Alaska. I have been close to being stomped by moose right outside my front door more than once.

If you go hiking in the state park, many firearms-type people like instructors and tour guides will carry a short barrel shotgun with slugs. You certainly don't want to get in a situation with a bear, and sometimes they get irritated. I've had a black bear be very mouthy to me, but he did not charge or come close.
I am also a big proponent of rifles and shotguns for bear protection.

Flintlock

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Insane Kangaroo, I was thinking my coach gun or Winchester 1300 defender loaded with slugs might be a good gun to carry around in the woods.
In my opinion,either would be just fine.

david.ross

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Generally this is true,but they do in parts of South Central Alaska. I have been close to being stomped by moose right outside my front door more than once.
Oh, I was only outlying larger cities like Anchorage/Fairbanks.

In Homer, we had a moose walk on a school property, start getting irritated, and the police had to kill it. The media response wasn't the best.

I've actually walked right up to a moose with a calf not watching where I was walking. I'm glad the moose decided not to stomp me and just went, "*PHHRRUOOOOPPPHHHMMMM*" I walked away, very carefully.

I've had moose harass my dogs... *sigh*