• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 Teens dead, 1 seriously wounded, a 4th arrested

rodbender

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,546600,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g2:r1:c0.101721:b27548248:z0

SAN MARCOS, Texas— Police in Texas say a group of teenagers were trying to break into a home when a resident opened fire and killed two of the youths.

San Marcos Police Chief Howard Williams says the shootings happened shortly before 2 a.m. Friday. He says two 16-year-olds died and a third teenager was seriously wounded.

Another teen was unharmed and arrested in the shootings that were about 30 miles south of Austin.

Authorities declined to release the teenagers' identities but say the two killed were from Luling, about 20 miles from San Marcos.

Williams says police responded to a call of a home invasion and shots fired.

Authorities say the three people who were home at the time were not injured.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

No charges anticipated for San Marcos resident who shot teens
Updated: 9/4/2009

By: Jenna Hiller and Web Staff

San Marcos Police said a resident of a house on Chestnut Street shot three of the four teens who entered the house just before 2 a.m.
According to a press release Friday, San Marcos police do not anticipate filing charges against a resident who shot three Luling teenagers, killing two, after they broke into his home in Western San Marcos early Friday morning.

"At this time, we do not anticipate filing charges against the resident for firing the shots," San Marcos Police Chief, Howard Williams, said.

Instead, San Marcos police will be turning the case over to the Hays County District Attorney's office for review after San Marcos PD completes their investigation.

The news that two teens were killed in a home invasion in this neighborhood near Texas State University surprised students who live in the area.

San Marcos Police said a resident of a house on Chestnut Street shot three of the four teens who entered the house just before 2 a.m. He fired several shots with a 40 caliber Glock handgun.

"One of the residents in the house heard the commotion, when the suspects entered the house. He had a pistol of his own, he opened his bedroom door, when he did one of the suspects in his living room pointed a weapon at him," Williams said.

Police said that's when the resident shot three of the teens, killing two of the 16 year-olds, and wounding a third.

Police also said 17 year-old Frank Castro, left the home, but was arrested a short time later.

According to police two of the teens had a pellet gun; a third was carrying a hand gun.

A next-door neighbor said one of the people who lived in the house was a gun collector, but she had never known him to use them.

"It's something that he knew everything about- something that was never intended for anything like that. He had them in cases. I have never seen anyone touch them. He had them dated back to his grandpa's guns from World Wars," Neighbor, Hillary Skogskill said.

A focus of the police investigation is determining why the 4 teens were entering this house in the middle of the night armed with weapons. One person who lives there, but wasn't home at the time said he thinks they've probably been there before.

"We have an open door policy for everyone, hey let's hang out. I'm assuming that somebody heard about that or they've been here and knew we're cool. But obviously it's not cool if you're coming with guns," a resident said.

Neighbors are calling the shooting a gut reaction.

"There's two 16 year-olds who don't get to wake up today, but at the same time, you know, there's intruders at 2:00 in the morning, you're not gonna wait for them to walk in to see if they're armed," Skogskill said.

That reaction left two teenagers dead, another in the hospital, and another in San Marcos Police custody.

Castro was charged with aggravated robbery, which is a first degree felony. His bond has been set at $50,000.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=251496

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Iwould have one question for young Mr Castro. "What have you learned from this experience, that you should have already known?"

Perhaps, that "Stupid can be fatal".

edited for spelling

david.ross

imported post

I've no sympathy for the kids who were killed, injured, nor the one who was arrested.

I've sympathy for the parents of the individuals.

Parent's aren't meant to bury their kids, it's just wrong. I hope this incident sends a message to those who dare threaten another in any manner, including breaking and entering.

Criminals beware, we will defend ourselves.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
I've no sympathy for the kids who were killed, injured, nor the one who was arrested.

Parent's aren't meant to bury their kids, it's just wrong. I hope this incident sends a message to those who dare threaten another in any manner, including breaking and entering.

I would only have sympathy for the parents that attempted to raise their kids right. For thowse that don't, well too bad.

Don't know about Texas, but in many states the surviving teens in a case like this could be facing manslaughter charges, since there were 2 people killed during the commision of their crime.

david.ross

imported post

No parenting is perfect. I will not judge the parents without knowing how they raised their children. Kids can lie to parents you know. Also this sounds more like a juve canine pack. If you're not familiar, even the decent home pets can cause destruction when in a pack.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
insane.kangaroo wrote:

I would only have sympathy for the parents that attempted to raise their kids right. For thowse that don't, well too bad.

Don't know about Texas, but in many states the surviving teens in a case like this could be facing manslaughter charges, since there were 2 people killed during the commision of their crime.
There are times, this being one of them, that the felony muder rule needs little explaining.

Here's hoping it keeps the surviving yoots off the streets permanently.

stay safe.

skidmark

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
No parenting is perfect. I will not judge the parents without knowing how they raised their children. Kids can lie to parents you know. Also this sounds more like a juve canine pack. If you're not familiar, even the decent home pets can cause destruction when in a pack.
What I eant was that most parents try their best to raise thier kids to have some moral values. Sometimes, it just doesn't get through tosome kids. Then, there are other parents that don't care enough to keep an eye on their kids. It's the later that I would have little sympathy for.

dshelman

imported post

Sometimes kids get caught up in stuff.

But that doesn't excuse their behavior -- they still have to answer for it.

Much sympathy to their parents, but not to the kids involved. Tough luck.

Dsh