• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 dead, 1 seriously wounded, and a 4th arrested

Carnivore

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Japle wrote:
It makes me wonder what led them down that path because that is what we need to get rid of if we want to stop criminals.
Frankly, if they're breaking into my home, I couldn't care less what led them to do it. My family's safety trumps any consideration I might have for the attackers.

I know they made a whole string of choices that ended with them commiting a violent felony. The choices were theirs. The responsibility is theirs.

Armed home invasion is a dangerous profession.
I'm not saying I wouldn't pull the trigger to defend myself or others but I don't think as others that killing an intruder will stop crime as a whole. I think getting government out of our lives would be a step in the right direction, capitalizing public schools are a good example.
It's easier to kill criminals than it is to get government out of our lives! We should probably just take the clean up America thing one step at a time. You know, don't set your goals too high, or you're more destined to fail. So lets just go 1 or in this case 2 criminals at a time until we work our way up to the big fish that are ruining this country..

ocgso

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I really can't take such a calloused view of things, yes what they did was wrong and it took their lives but I still have pity for them. It makes me wonder what led them down that path because that is what we need to get rid of if we want to stop criminals. Killing a criminal doesn't stop these problems.

I can.

Someone breaks into my home while I am there, they will face the consequences. The only pity in this is that their parents will not be punished for their failures.

Most folks are gone for many hours a day. When you break into a home with occupants and you are armed, that says you are prepared to kill the occupants. We are just lucky that the good guy in this case was prepared and struck first.

Plain and simple, armed robbery is a dangerous profession. You go down that road, you face the consequences. You really want to stop this?

1 - Make it more of a public spectacle when these things happen.

2 - Make it so that more law abiding Americans can carry in more places so that they can exercise their 2A and defend themselves.:celebrate

Problem with crime right now is that there are so few places you can carry, and so many restrictions (not to mention reciprocity, and different rules in different states). Let the people protect themselves and their families, crime will go down.

FunkTrooper

imported post

ocgso wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
I really can't take such a calloused view of things, yes what they did was wrong and it took their lives but I still have pity for them. It makes me wonder what led them down that path because that is what we need to get rid of if we want to stop criminals. Killing a criminal doesn't stop these problems.

I can.

Someone breaks into my home while I am there, they will face the consequences. The only pity in this is that their parents will not be punished for their failures.

Most folks are gone for many hours a day. When you break into a home with occupants and you are armed, that says you are prepared to kill the occupants. We are just lucky that the good guy in this case was prepared and struck first.

Plain and simple, armed robbery is a dangerous profession. You go down that road, you face the consequences. You really want to stop this?

1 - Make it more of a public spectacle when these things happen.

2 - Make it so that more law abiding Americans can carry in more places so that they can exercise their 2A and defend themselves.:celebrate

Problem with crime right now is that there are so few places you can carry, and so many restrictions (not to mention reciprocity, and different rules in different states). Let the people protect themselves and their families, crime will go down.
I agree with number 2 and about those restrictions, just don't follow them concealed carry isn't allowed on my college campus but I still carry anyway, I'm sure if more criminals knew that people like us ignored gun free zones maybe they wouldn't be the death traps they are today.

tcmech

imported post

HankT wrote:
TFred wrote:
HankT wrote:
TFred wrote:
You'd think after Joe Horn was acquitted for shooting buglers stealing his neighbor's stuff, the crooks would learn to not break into houses in Texas.

Guess not.
BIG difference here. They probably wanted the guns.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=31035
Maybe their motive was different, but if they knew there were gun owners in the house, seems to me they were even more stupid than I first thought!
Not really stupid. These guys came equipped with a handgun according to the police report (and two pellet guns). Presumably they figured they would need to use them.

But the robbers here were not competent enough to do the job. The home defender was much better at deploying a firearm than the robbers. He did what he had to and did it very well, even according to the detail-sparse accounts available so far. Kudos to him. Though there are some unanswered questions about whether the thieves might have been prior visitors.

This differs from the Joe Horn case where the robbers were unarmed. The robbers, remember, were running like rabbits when they got shot by Horn. They did not want to fight--they wanted to run. Horn caught a break on that deal.
All I got to say is good shootin Joe, would you like to be my neighbor?

ocgso

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I agree with number 2 and about those restrictions, just don't follow them concealed carry isn't allowed on my college campus but I still carry anyway, I'm sure if more criminals knew that people like us ignored gun free zones maybe they wouldn't be the death traps they are today.

I work on a college campus. Problem is that if you get caught you give the rest of us a bad rep.

Also, it is different in different states, but in NC if I take my gun to work and get caught (even in defense of myself or others) it is a felony. That means I will lose my 2A right, and then I won't be able to defend myself anywhere. :banghead:Not at home, not at work, not on vacation.......

We have 13 buildings and 2 deputies on my campus. Not exactly good odds if someone comes in and starts shooting.

my 2 cents....

Basic Guy

imported post

jsimmons wrote:
I think what we need is something akin to the way fighter pilots recorded their kills on the side of their planes. Make appropriate window stickers to serve as a warning to other idiots that everyone that has come before is now just a sticker on the window.

I did something like this years ago when I was in grad school.

One evening I had to grab a shotgunand run off a group who were trying to start a fight with the residents who caught them trying to break into the apartment upstairs from me.

The next week I took a standard sillouette target to therange, drilled a neat 2" group in the head with a magazine in my Para Ord, then put a 2" group in the center of mass with my High-Power. Then I taped it up on the window facing the parking lot so you could see the outline and holes when the lights were on.

Anybody looking for a place to break in to would be able to see that and understand the meaning even without subtitles.

Carnivore

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Well It's not a felony where I live, besides there is no way I can get caught.
So a lessor conviction is alright with you? and I'd love to have a nickle for every human that has ever made the statement of "there's no way I can get caught". sounds to me like you're flirting with the inevetable one way or another.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
Well It's not a felony where I live, besides there is no way I can get caught.
So a lessor conviction is alright with you? and I'd love to have a nickle for every human that has ever made the statement of "there's no way I can get caught". sounds to me like you're flirting with the inevetable one way or another.
Well either I obey an unjust law and be a victim or get kicked out of a college on the rare chance the police perform an illegal search of my bag, well at least I won't be a sheep.

zack991

imported post

I am willing to buy this man a beer or three for making this country that much safer for the rest of us.:dude:

protector84

imported post

Police cannot search a bag without a warrant or yourconsent. You may want to double check if you had signed a consent form when you became employed there.

KansasMustang

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Pity?? I'm just glad that hopefully the lil bastards had not had time to reproduce, therefore weeding their idiot genes from the genetic cesspool. Killing a criminal is always a deterrent to further crime. Sniveling Liberals are the only ones that don't see it that way.

FunkTrooper

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
Pity?? I'm just glad that hopefully the lil bastards had not had time to reproduce, therefore weeding their idiot genes from the genetic cesspool. Killing a criminal is always a deterrent to further crime. Sniveling Liberals are the only ones that don't see it that way.
I bet if we brought back crucifixion we would have a completely safe society free from all wrong doers. However I feel the best way to decrease crime is to improve education and get away from our government's social policies and bad laws.

eddyys

imported post

They will most likely be spending the rest of their life in prison. I am pretty sure if there is a felony that you were a part of and someone died you get charged with it.

zack991

imported post

If your a criminal no matter the age and you are killed or wounded because of their stupidity, I feel no pity for them at all. Call me soulless or not understanding of these "victims of the system." I guess people now a days no longer take responsibility for their actions and the courts are more then happy to give up my rights to criminals.

A dead bad guy no matter the age, race, or upbringing is a good thing in my book for one. Second our courts are a complete joke that protect criminals and if a criminal gets killed because of their own stupidity then you will not see me shed a tear period. In the end no matter what excuse people want to use to try and justify their illegal actions, their death is the best thing to help make our towns and city's safer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
What would you suggest?
Interstellar incubation of all of their genetic material.

Yata hey

bohdi

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Carnivore wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
What would you suggest?
Interstellar incubation of all of their genetic material.

Yata hey

Particle accelerator.