• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

moving back home to Mi, questions about getting my carry license

zx-twitch

imported post

sorry if this has been asked before but I am recently out of the army and currently living in phoenix Az with a valid arizona ccw permit. I am gonna be moving home to Muskegon Mi. Now on the state police website it says you have you have to be a resident for 6 months (not sure if I meet this requirement any more as I have a az drivers license but and originally from MI) But it say that this may be waived. Does any one know of the likelihood of it actually being waived is? also what are the pistol safety requirements that are required? in az it is just a one day course and very easy to register for as just about every local gun range offers a course and finger printing. It sounds like its a little more in depth that the Arizona process. Thanks to any one willing to steer me in the right direction

T Vance

imported post

I beleive your CPL license from AZ is excepted here in Michigan. I'm not sure how the process works though if you have a CPL from another state, and then bymoving here to Michigan affects it though. You may want to either wait for more replies from other who may have more positive answers on this topic, or you could contact the Michigan State Police.

As far as getting your CPL in Michigan go's, it is typically a 1 day class. You listen to an instructor teach, take a written test, then go to a range and shoot at least 100 rounds at a target. Once you pass the class you get a certificate. You then take the certificate, and fill out an apllication that cost $135 (I think...It was a few months ago I took this). You also provide a passport type photo of yourself (the office that takes your application usually can take this photo for you for about $10). You also must be fingerprinted.

After that, you wait for your application to be approved. Depending on the county it could take anywhere from a few weeks, up to several months (the longest I've heard of waiting was about 8 months, but this was in a county near Detroit, and they are very backed up due to the amount of people applying). Since you are moving to Muskegon, I'd assume the wait will not be too long.

Hope this helps.

Yooper

imported post

As long as you are a resident of AZ, your permit is valid. Once you become a resident of MI (by obtaining a D.L.) your AZ permit is not valid. I believe that a county has discretion in waiving the 6 month rule.

The application in $105. 2 passport quality photo's (obtainable from walmart for less than $10) must accompany your application.

The training courses do vary slightly. We didn't shoot anywhere near 100 rounds in mine, and the cost was $50.

I got my permit in about 3 1/2 weeks. I know some who have gotten them sooner.

I've got no clue on what to do with registering your guns. When I moved back here a year ago, I brought them into the Sheriff's office and they typed up the safety inspection paperwork, and I was on my way with my new registrations.

Now you need a permit to purchase, but not get the safety inspection. Do you need to get a purchase permit to get a gun you already have? I don't know.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

zx-twitch wrote:
sorry if this has been asked before but I am recently out of the army and currently living in phoenix Az with a valid arizona ccw permit. I am gonna be moving home to Muskegon Mi. Now on the state police website it says you have you have to be a resident for 6 months (not sure if I meet this requirement any more as I have a az drivers license but and originally from MI) But it say that this may be waived. Does any one know of the likelihood of it actually being waived is? also what are the pistol safety requirements that are required? in az it is just a one day course and very easy to register for as just about every local gun range offers a course and finger printing. It sounds like its a little more in depth that the Arizona process. Thanks to any one willing to steer me in the right direction

Welcome to OCDO zx-twitch. Being active or discharge from service you must obtain a license (register pistol) to possess your pistol in Michigan within 30 days after your arrival.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(xbwcfw55wjqij4mnsffg05jv))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

In pertinent part:

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

(2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within 30 days after his or her arrival in this state.

WARCHILD

imported post

If you were a Mich. resident prior to your military service and your "home of record" is Mich. you are still a resident. Anyone in the military retains their state residence status no matter where they are posted. Hence the 6 month waiting period should be waved due to these factors. You have been and still are a legal Mich. resident.
This status has not changed to my knowledge, so check it out.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Yooper wrote:
The training courses do vary slightly.  We didn't shoot anywhere near 100 rounds in mine, and the cost was $50.
50 rounds is the minimum, but 100 is recommended.

Not quite accurate.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425j

(1) A pistol training or safety program described in section 5b(7)(c) meets the requirements for knowledge or training in the safe use and handling of a pistol only if the program consists of not less than 8 hours of instruction and all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:

(i) The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use, and handling to protect child safety.

(ii) Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting.

(iii) Pistol shooting positions.

(iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.

(v) Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.

(vi) All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state.

(b) The program provides at least 3 hours of instruction on a firing range and requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition.

(c) The program provides a certificate of completion that states the program complies with the requirements of this section and that the individual successfully completed the course, and that contains the printed name and signature of the course instructor. Not later than October 1, 2004, the certificate of completion shall contain the statement, “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.”

(d) The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a national organization to teach the 8-hour pistol safety training course described in this section.