• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hillsville Gun Show

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

Hey guys, I'm headed to the Hillsville gun show today, by way of NC. How am I required to transport my handgun, once in VA, while traveling in the vehicle? Also, am I allowed to carry open at the show? In NC we're not allowed to carry openly to any "event where the purchase of a ticket is required." Thanks for your help! I hear this is a huge gun show, so we're excited!!!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Virginia has no law against open carry, meaning among other things on your hip without being covered by a garment. See also the "Virginia tuck" explanations regarding IWB with the grip showing as being considered OC.

Carry inside the gun show is generally at the discretion of the promoter and/or venue operator. I've never been told I could not carry inside a gun show, but just about every one requires you to have a ziptie attached to prevent loading/firing. If you see the guy in front of you in the line to get ziptied dropping a full magazine or ejecting a cylinder-full of cartridges you may want to be extra careful till their weapon is securely disabled.

There are ways to have the ziptie attached so that it does not interfere with you trying new magazines in your autoloader or getting in the way of trying out new holsters or speedloaders - tell the person placing the ziptie that you want it so that you can acomplish what you are shopping for.

Of course, some of us apply our own ziptie before entering the show.

There are a few shows that will not allow you to bring a loaded magazine or the cartridges from your revolver cylinder inside the show. Some will staple shut and label a bag with your name, and you can reclaim it on your way out. Never understood that as you can buy magazines and ammo once inside and nobody makes you get yous shopping bag (sack or poke to some of you) stapled shut till you leave.

Welcome to the Old Dominion. Keep Virginia Green - bring money! :lol:

Let us know how you enjoyed the show.

stay safe.

skidmark

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

Thanks for the info...I was able to carry without any issues. Actually stopped to talk to a few Sheriff Deputies, without issue. The gun show was OK...I was expecting more, judging by the pictures on the website. Prices were reasonable. The flea market was HUGE! I've never seen anything like it...

Anyway, again, thanks for the info!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You went to a gun show and expected to see guns?

Being from out of state I guess you do not know the language. "Gun Show" means beany-babies, magic crystal jewlrey, jerky and hot sauce vendors, offensive and expensive tee-shirts, and people watching. You might get lucky and see a few guns, as opposed to the souper-kool tacticle weapons of death and destruction for hunting and other sporting purposes only that usually are displayed to make you wish you could afford the downpayment on one.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Hope you plan to visit Virginia again and enjoy the experiences of OCing in the Commonwealth.

stay safe.

skidmark