• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Davidson County Parks * be careful *

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Opinion of Metro lawyers

13.24.440 Explosives, fireworks and firearms.

No person shall bring into or have in his possession in any park any firearms, slingshots, firecrackers, torpedoes, fireworks or other missile propelling instruments or explosives, including any substance, compound, mixture or article having properties of such a character that alone or in combination or contiguity with other substances, mixtures, compounds or articles may propel missiles or may decompose suddenly and generate sufficient heat, sound, gas or pressure or any or all of these to produce rapid flames, combustion or noxious or dangerous odors or sounds such as to annoy any other person or to injure any person or property.

(Prior code § 30A-1-9)

found here

Resolution RS2009-790 against Ch.428.

Ordinance BL2009-489 against carry in parks.

I haven't foundwhere they have passed any law that they do not have to post signs. So, you should be good to go if they don't have signs. But, I'm no lawyer.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

wow - you guys in tennessee need to re-visit preemption next year in the legislature and make is 100% across the board to preempt localities - the grandfathering nonsense needs to be repealed.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I agree the grandfathering is ridiculous, it makes obeying the law a challenge.I still believe they still must post.

I went to Edwin Warner park today. There were no signs anywhere. This includes the entrances on Vaughn Rd, the dog park, and the nature center and trail heads on Hwy. 100. I wandered around inside the nature center about 10 minutes and had no problems.

I went to Percy Warner Park today also. There were no signs. This includes all entrances Old Hickory Blvd., Chickering, Hwy. 100, and the intersection of Page Rd. and Belle Meade Blvd. I drove through the park and saw no signs. I walked the hill at the main entrance of Percy Warner and had no problems.

I open carried an N frame Smith and wesson snub nose revolver on my right hip.

I did not see any cops or rangers so maybe that is why I wasn't bothered.

macville

imported post

Even if the law is grandfathered in, there is no option that lets them not post. We realized that the other night after the City of Knoxville meeting. It doesn't matter if you now opt-out or have your pre 1986 law grandfathered in, you are supposed to post the new sign (which is actually stupid because places like City of Knoxville have a different law that doesn't have the same punishment as the new law.)

But it looks like from the OP's post, Davidson county opt-ed out THIS year and therefore should have the legal posting. It just amazes me how THEY get away with breaking the law (they are legally supposed to post a certain sign), but want ME punished if I walk in their un-posted park with my firearm.

Be writing your state reps to go ahead and get the whole opt-out overturned.

Matthew

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I'm no lawyer.

I'm pretty sure that carry in a park is illegal if there is an ordinance.

I'm also sure that municipalities and counties are supposed to post.

So, does that mean if you violate an ordinance and they have no sign are you going to get a class A misdemeanor?

Or, does it mean you get arrested and nothing comes of it after legal action?

Just to be clear Metro has had an ordinance since 1966.

What I would like to find out is if anyone with a carry permit has been charged and convicted of carry in a park in Tennessee where there was no sign, as the sign has been a requirement for years.