• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to carry w/ an armed guard license on an unarmed site?

Aaron1124

imported post

If you're employed by a private security contracting agency, and you have your armed guard card, is it legal to carry while on duty, if you're site is specifically mentioned as an "unarmed site"?

ecocks

imported post

Depends on the state or municipality. There are some places where the duty weapon is not personally owned but kept at the employer's or client's location. In those situations they issue it when you report for duty. Look into the Heller case circumstances for instance to see how state and local laws have an impact on this situation. It is a mess.

As someone mentioned earlier, insurance companies are heavily involved in thisprocess due to liability issues. This is one reason that so many companies prefer hiring off-duty officers or even arranging their "security services" through anoffice of the PD itself. In many instances the PD even handles billing and scheduling of staff, includingsupervisors.

j2l3

imported post

Legal vs permitted by the security company are two different things. If it is specifically an "unarmed" site, then you can probably expect to eb disciplined or terminated if your company fionds you armed when you are not supposed to be. Usually if it's an "unarmed" site, that is the contract with the site and is not optional.

jbone

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
If you're employed by a private security contracting agency, and you have your armed guard card, is it legal to carry while on duty, if you're site is specifically mentioned as an "unarmed site"?

I've been asking myself the same question. Most guards I've spoken with have stated they'd rather be disciplined or be fired,than DEAD.

Aaron1124

imported post

jbone wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

I've been asking myself the same question. Most guards I've spoken with have stated they'd rather be disciplined or be fired,than DEAD.
Then again, a security guard willingly takes a position as being unarmed.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Does not matter if the law says it is legal.

If a guard accepts the position as "unarmed" and then carries while working in the "unarmed" position he has violated the conditions of employment and is subject to disciplinary action from his employer. Does not matter if the law says it is legal.

Aaron1124

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:

If a guard accepts the position as "unarmed" and then carries while working in the "unarmed" position he has violated the conditions of employment and is subject to disciplinary action from his employer. Does not matter if the law says it is legal.
That goes for any employee of any agency that restricts their employees of carrying.

Batousaii

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

That goes for any employee of any agency that restricts their employees of carrying.
Yes

jbone

imported post

A Guard can make the choices: Get trained up on other none lethal devices and carry those, they can canqiut if not comfortable being unarmed in some of the shit holes that guard services will send them, or, violate the contract/employer and carry in areas that warrant it for safety.

A guard is a private citizen with the right to protect themselves. Your supervisor is not going to show up and search you or your vehicle, you would have to give consent for that. So, in those area's you guard where everyone one has a weapon except you!it's an individual choice.

U8Dust

Banned
imported post

see, this is what i mean. everyone is always looking for some excuse to carry when they obviously arent suppose to. most gun owners are dumb hillbilly faqqots. a weapon like a sword, that actually takes skill to use is much more badas$

ecocks

imported post

U8Dust wrote:
see, this is what i mean. everyone is always looking for some excuse to carry when they obviously arent suppose to. most gun owners are dumb hillbilly faqqots. a weapon like a sword, that actually takes skill to use is much more badas$
Troll.

compmanio365

imported post

U8Dust wrote:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Man, I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

jbone

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Too bad it's illegal to actually carry one if you don't have your armed guard license.
Did you find a law saying it wasilegal?

jbone

imported post

found this yesterday, made me a believer.

RCW 18.170.160 Licenses required — Use of public law enforcement insignia prohibited — Penalties — Enforcement.
(4) After June 30, 1992, a person is guilty of a gross misdemeanor if he or she performs the functions and duties of an armed private security guard in this state unless the person holds a valid armed private security guard license issued by the department.

David.Car

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Too bad it's illegal to actually carry one if you don't have your armed guard license.
And not just carry. It is illegal to have on your persons, in a bag, or in your vehicle if any of those listed are on the site you are currently employed as security at.

Example: You park your car in the business parking lot. It is considered on site and with in your control. Illegal.

Example 2: You park at the public parking lot across the street from your posted site. It is off site property and deemed not in your control. Legal.

This came into play when one of my security officers was going through LEO Academy and it begun right after his shift at work. He needed his firearm since he had to go right to academy, we did some digging and found as long as parked his vehicle off client property it was okay.

Aaron1124

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
And not just carry. It is illegal to have on your persons, in a bag, or in your vehicle if any of those listed are on the site you are currently employed as security at.

Example: You park your car in the business parking lot. It is considered on site and with in your control. Illegal.

Example 2: You park at the public parking lot across the street from your posted site. It is off site property and deemed not in your control. Legal.

This came into play when one of my security officers was going through LEO Academy and it begun right after his shift at work. He needed his firearm since he had to go right to academy, we did some digging and found as long as parked his vehicle off client property it was okay.
I still think it's B.S. that the state regulates carrying while on the job. It should be left up to the discretion of the employer. I use to work Security for a private business... I always carried while I was on duty, and I don't have a guard license at all.