• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Directions to the OC BBQ

rodbender

imported post

If someone has a ND/AD, I think it is clear that he/shehas violated one of the four rules and I, for one, don't want anyone to have access to a firearm that can't follow4 simple rules. Especially if the life of one of my guests, family, or myself is at stake. I am the ultimate responsible party at this event.

If you don't like the rules I have set forth, stay home. You won't be missed.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rodbender wrote:
PT111 wrote:
HankT wrote:
rodbender wrote:

Here’s the short list of rules.

1. There will be no unholstering except in 1 designated area.

2. This area will be roped off with a table for disassembly for demonstration and/or cleaning. Bring your own cleaning materials. (One person at a time. Don’t hog it.)

3. Anyone that unholsters outside of this area will be asked to leave.

4. Anyone that has a negligent/accidental discharge will be asked to leave if no injury or property damage. If property damage or injury results, you will be asked to relinquish your weapon until it is resolved.

5. Bring your long guns. They must be unloaded and will be for demonstration purposes only. Another tableWILL be set up for the long guns.

6. Bring a portable chair and/or table would probably help. I’ll have some.

7. Keep track of your stuff. If you leave it, it will be sold on Ebay. LOL. Not really, just contact me and if it is here I will try my best to get it to you.

8. [/b]No alcohol or drugs, period. [/b]

9.[/b]PM me with RSVP and how many in your party.

10. Open Carry will not be a requirement.[/b]

Sounds like a great idea and a great time. Kudos to rodbender for setting it up.

Also, it's veryinteresting how gun control (rules/regs/penalties/standards/collateral rules) makes sense at times. And from certain perspectives.

Darn ironic, really.
39.gif
I won't be there due to distance but would lie to echo the Kudis to Rodbender. I also would like to point out the irony of having to create and post these rules for an OC BBQ. The rules sound a lot like laws, especially the confiscation of one's weapon before being found guilty or innocent.
If someone has a ND/AD, I think it is clear that he/shehas violated one of the four rules and I, for one, don't want anyone to have access to a firearm that can't follow4 simple rules. Especially if the life of one of my guests, family, or myself is at stake. I am the ultimate responsible party at this event.

I dunno, trying to take away some law abiding citizen'spersonal gun in public in the event of an ND/AD would usually have to go through a some kind of adjudication process. Apparently, that's not the law at this particular function.

I like the sentence:

"If you don't like the rules I have set forth, stay home. You won't be missed."

What an uproar we would have if some retailer or restaurant were to tell an OCer that!

And, don't forget....this is the "short list rules." That implies thatthere are other "rules."No doubt thoseother rules will be concoctedon an as needed, and possibly instantaneous basis. Hmmm, kind of likethe cops do sometimes. Don't we allhate that?

I hope everyone has a great time.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

At first I didn't think I could make it- the 16 hour roundtrip drive would betough - until I realized TTU will be shutdown for some random holiday on October 12-13 (that gives me a 4-day weekend). Oooh man I'm gonna be talkin to the wife when she gets home tonight!! I just hope that my new .45 (the one set as my avatar)comes in by October so I can show it off to everyone (at the gun cleaning table).

BTW, it's my understanding that this event going to be hosted BY rodbender and on HIS property? I think that everyone should respect the rules he has posted, whether or not you agree with them. If I tell someone they can't smoke in my house and they don't like it, well they can simply leave. Is that rude of me? We can't always think OUR rights are the only rights. Property rights are extremely important to our freedom.

thx997303

imported post

HankT, you have to take into account that this is not property generally open to the public.

This is more like a personal residence than a business. Hence, no outrage.

rodbender

imported post

If a business was to post a set of rules at the door with that particular sentence following it, I would not be outraged. I would simply follow the rules or go away. It's not my property. Why would anyone be outraged?

The "SHORT LIST" is just that, "SHORT". I could come up with some more if you like. I thought of a lot of them, but kept it down to the bare minimum. You see, just because it's a short list doesn't mean that there are more to come.

If I were on someones property as a guest and had a ND, I would be asking someone to take control of the firearm until I could figure out why I was so stupid as to allow it to happen, property damage or not.

I'm not asking anyone to do what I would not do.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

This is EXCELLENT news!!! I have been watching her events page for an appropriate event (close enough and small enough) to meet her! I will definitely be doing my best to attend now! As far as the 'rules' are concerned; this is a simple reminder of COMMON SENSE! Nothing more than a written version of basic, normally 'unwritten' codes of conduct. We all need to be respectful of others property rights and responsible 'carriers'.
I would definitely invite her to speak, although not necessarily for toooo long.
Topics: what she will do to promote Open Carry and gun rights in general (obvious) and leave it open to her and questions after that?
As far as making this a completely 'open' event on her events page... That is all up to you rod... I'm not sure if I would do that or not... Although, it would be a good opportunity to promote our cause directly to some people that we may otherwise not be able to reach!
Either way, You know how to get ahold of me if you need me to do anything to help you prepare!

PT111

imported post

I have no problem with the rules whatsoever and think they are good and needed. The point is they are common sense rules that should apply whether on private, commercialor public property.

For instance rule #1. There will be no unholstering except in 1 designated area. How many posts on here about no loaded firearms in a gun store is stupid. If a gun store doesn't have a hole in the wall from a ND then they haven't been in business long.

How many complaints about either a ND or a good shoot and the police confiscate the gun until the investigation?

There is no outrage but it isn't because of private property but because it is one of us being logical and safe.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rodbender wrote:
If a business was to post a set of rules at the door with that particular sentence following it, I would not be outraged. I would simply follow the rules or go away. It's not my property. Why would anyone be outraged?
You're kidding, right? People here complain all the time about places that are posted "no guns."

rodbender wrote:
If I were on someones property as a guest and had a ND, I would be asking someone to take control of the firearm until I could figure out why I was so stupid as to allow it to happen, property damage or not.

So, if some guy has an ND/AD out in public then some other citizen who is around should demand that he fork over his gun?

That would be a veryyyy interesting transaction.

rodbender

imported post

HankT wrote:
rodbender wrote:
You're kidding, right? People here complain all the time about places that are posted "no guns."

rodbender wrote:

So, if some guy has an ND/AD out in public then some other citizen who is around should demand that he fork over his gun?

That would be a veryyyy interesting transaction.

#1. Have you ever seen a thread where I complained about a business having a "NO GUNS" sign?Please show it to me, sir. I may have complained about not being able to patronize a particular business. While it is close to the same thing, it is not. I do know that others have, but not I.

#2. Did I say out in public? Oh, golly, no! I said on someones property. As for out in public, should someone have a ND/AD around me, that would normallymean that he/she has a hand on the firearm and a round has been discharged.I would most certainly draw my weapon and demand that he/she relinquish the offending sidearm, and hopefully,others around me that are armedwould do the same.

And now that leads tothe argument: Are you blaming the firearm? Firearms are inanimate objects. They can't do any more than they are told to do. And then the next argument: How can you tell a firearm to discharge? And it keeps getting sillier and sillier. Lets stop now while we both are acting somewhat like adults. When it gets too silly, I will simply ignore you, as of right now.

Bottom line is this is my property. I owe nobody a dime for it, except the extortion payment I make toBastrop County and Elgin Independent School District every year. Therefore it is my rules or don'tshow. Your not going to win that argument and you know it.

A question for you, sir. If someone had a ND/AD at your residence causing property damage or injury, would you allow this idiot to continue to keep and fiddle around with a firearm with other guests and your family around putting them at risk of another?

orthzar

imported post

I want to show up, but I live in Richardson. I will figure something out.

Anyways, it sounds like Medina is going to show up, and I recall that Jon-David Wells and Mark Davis each interviewed Medina on their talk-radio shows. I think we should try to get them to show up.

I will contact Sen. John Carona in the next few days, though he would have a similar drive as me.

rodbender

imported post

orthzar wrote:
I want to show up, but I live in Richardson. I will figure something out.

Anyways, it sounds like Medina is going to show up, and I recall that Jon-David Wells and Mark Davis each interviewed Medina on their talk-radio shows. I think we should try to get them to show up.

I will contact Sen. John Carona in the next few days, though he would have a similar drive as me.
Richardson is around DFW isn't it. Why don't all you folks that are coming get together with others inyour area and "carpool". The liberals would be proud of you.

TehGruu

imported post

HankT wrote:
rodbender wrote:
PT111 wrote:
HankT wrote:
rodbender wrote:

Here’s the short list of rules.

1. There will be no unholstering except in 1 designated area.

2. This area will be roped off with a table for disassembly for demonstration and/or cleaning. Bring your own cleaning materials. (One person at a time. Don’t hog it.)

3. Anyone that unholsters outside of this area will be asked to leave.

4. Anyone that has a negligent/accidental discharge will be asked to leave if no injury or property damage. If property damage or injury results, you will be asked to relinquish your weapon until it is resolved.

5. Bring your long guns. They must be unloaded and will be for demonstration purposes only. Another tableWILL be set up for the long guns.

6. Bring a portable chair and/or table would probably help. I’ll have some.

7. Keep track of your stuff. If you leave it, it will be sold on Ebay. LOL. Not really, just contact me and if it is here I will try my best to get it to you.

8. [/b]No alcohol or drugs, period. [/b]

9.[/b]PM me with RSVP and how many in your party.

10. Open Carry will not be a requirement.[/b]

Sounds like a great idea and a great time. Kudos to rodbender for setting it up.

Also, it's veryinteresting how gun control (rules/regs/penalties/standards/collateral rules) makes sense at times. And from certain perspectives.

Darn ironic, really.
39.gif
I won't be there due to distance but would lie to echo the Kudis to Rodbender. I also would like to point out the irony of having to create and post these rules for an OC BBQ. The rules sound a lot like laws, especially the confiscation of one's weapon before being found guilty or innocent.

I dunno, trying to take away some law abiding citizen'spersonal gun in public in the event of an ND/AD would usually have to go through a some kind of adjudication process. Apparently, that's not the law at this particular function.

I like the sentence:

"If you don't like the rules I have set forth, stay home. You won't be missed."

What an uproar we would have if some retailer or restaurant were to tell an OCer that!

And, don't forget....this is the "short list rules." That implies thatthere are other "rules."No doubt thoseother rules will be concoctedon an as needed, and possibly instantaneous basis. Hmmm, kind of likethe cops do sometimes. Don't we allhate that?

I hope everyone has a great time.

Really Hank, really?! Wow, I don't even know why I'm bothering to reply to this. On one hand, yes I do see where you're coming from with some of the rhetoric that we see. But you must keep in mind that this is an INDIVIUAL that is INVITING people to his home. His home, his rules. There is nothing that implies that it's open to the general public. He's not sellinggoods or services.

Also, he's not telling people they have to disarm to enter his property. He's talking about unholstering and discharges.Go to an open carry state and take your weapon out of its holster whilst munching on your pasta. See how long it takes before you're in cuffs.Also, let a round off in the local Chucky cheese, and your ass will be in court for sure.

So really, you're comparing apples to oranges here. Remember, his house, HIS rules. Hell, if he had a privacy fence he could demand thateveryone whoshows up wear nothing but a holstered gun and a smile. I would bring my Glock...

-Gruu

rodbender

imported post

So far only about 6-8 people haveRSVP'd from OCDO and a couple from TGT. I was certainly expecting a bigger turnout. I've got some friends and family coming for a total of about 20-25. We need a bigger showing than this for a gubernatorial candidate. This is really looking dismal. C'mon guys.

TehGruu

imported post

I figured this could use a bump. Rodbender, did Medina's rep. say if they'll be bringing anyone?

-Gruu