Thread: Visit NC from Washington

Post imported post

I have my cpl in Wa. I know i can CC in NC. I visit a couple times a year.What are the laws with CC in car?

Post imported post

With a CC permit recognized by NC, you can keep any number of loaded handguns in your car whether on your person or not. You must notify an officer if approached or addressed by one.

The following documents are worth reading, paying particular attention to the laws regarding schools and school property, where even having an unloaded gun locked in a safe in your car is a misdemeanor.

Handgunlaw.us NC

NC Firearms Laws

Post imported post

NCRonB wrote:
    With a CC permit recognized by NC, you can keep any number of loaded handguns in your car whether on your person or not. You must notify an officer if approached or addressed by one.

The following documents are worth reading, paying particular attention to the laws regarding schools and school property, where even having an unloaded gun locked in a safe in your car is a misdemeanor.

Handgunlaw.us NC

NC Firearms Laws
    Thanks much appreciated. I wasn't sure because i heard something about the law changing and that it has to be in plain sight. when i am driving i usually set it in between the seat and console. so i am good to go.

Post imported post

gtparlette wrote:
    Thanks much appreciated.* I wasn't sure because i heard something about the law changing and that it has to be in plain sight.* when i am driving i usually set it in between the seat and console.* so i am good to go.
    The letter from Roy Cooper, NC Attorney General, quoted in both of the above links talks about transporting a gun in a vehicle and the need to ensure that it is not concealed. However, this letter refers to transporting a firearm when you do not have a concealed handgun permit.

NC is an open carry state by lack of laws prohibiting it, so it's perfectly legal to carry a loaded, in-plain-sight handgun in the car without a permit. Since the laws are not specific about the definition of concealed (surprise, surprise), the letter explains "vigilant" transport practices for those without a CHP.

Post imported post

Since this is kinda along the lines, and the OP has apparently been satisfied in his answers, let me hijack this thread with a similar question.

I'm going to be coming down to NC (Duck area) from Va next week , and am going to be riding a motorcycle. I plan on OCing, as I do not have a CHP, but want to be sure this isn't going to cause issues while traveling.

This is a quote from the above second link:

While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon.
    From this, it looks like open carry in a vehicle is legal, IE in a hip holster?

Edit: Also, anyone have any tips about the Duck area, IE Don't OC [here]?

Post imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
    Since this is kinda along the lines, and the OP has apparently been satisfied in his answers, let me hijack this thread with a similar question.

I'm going to be coming down to NC (Duck area) from Va next week , and am going to be riding a motorcycle. I plan on OCing, as I do not have a CHP, but want to be sure this isn't going to cause issues while traveling.

While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon.

I've seen someone OCing an AR while riding a sportbike on I40. IANAL but I think you should be fine.

No info on the Duck area.

Post imported post

Juggernaut wrote:
    Wangmuf wrote:

I've seen someone OCing an AR while riding a sportbike on I40. IANAL but I think you should be fine.

No info on the Duck area.
    An AR? Hmm, that's much more noticeable than my measly little .40 S&W. I'd imagine if that's legal, I probably won't have any issues.