• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who are the better trained?

U8Dust

Banned
imported post

which are the better trained?

United States Navy SEALs Team 6

or

CIAs Special Operations Group?

suntzu

imported post

U8Dust wrote:

or

That is easy-- Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta

the CIA is a joke--there isn't an intelligent person in the Central Intelligence Agency..it is a contradiction in terms, a misnomer, it is a totally useless waste of taxpayer money which seems to want to use outside mercs for its dirty work...

rodbender

imported post

suntzu wrote:
U8Dust wrote:

or

That is easy-- Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta

the CIA is a joke--there isn't an intelligent person in the Central Intelligence Agency..it is a contradiction in terms, a misnomer, it is a totally useless waste of taxpayer money which seems to want to use outside mercs for its dirty work...
I do agree. But that wasn't one of the choices.

Aaron1124

imported post

Obviously no one who has read this thread even knows what the CIA Special Operations Group is.

They are the most elite special forces unit in the nation.. drafting the best of the best OF the Special Forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Activities_Division

"SAD provides the President of the United States with an option when overt military and/or diplomatic actions are not viable or politically feasible. SAD can be directly tasked by the President of the United States or the National Security Council at the President's direction. This is unlike any other U.S. special mission force. However, SAD/SOG has far fewer members than most of the other special missions units, such as Delta Force or SEAL Team Six.[6][7][8] As the action arm of the NCS, SAD/SOG conducts military direct action missions such as raids, ambushes, sabotage, assassinations,[9][10][11] and unconventional warfare (e.g. training and leading guerrilla and military units of other countries in combat). SAD/SOG also conducts special reconnaissance, that can be under either military or intelligence-driven, but is carried out by Paramilitary Operations Officers when in "denied areas".[12] SAD/SOG officers are selected exclusively from the most elite U.S. military units"

Aaron1124

imported post

Please read up on this elite group before calling them a joke.

SAD/SOG has several hundred officers, almost all of them former members of Special operations forces (SOF) and a number from the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC)[27][/sup]. These units include the U.S. Army's Delta Force, Army Rangers, Army Special Forces, Navy SEALs, Navy DEVGRU, USMC Force Recon teams, MARSOC Marines, Air Force Combat Controllers, and Air Force Pararescuemen. The CIA's formal position for these individuals is "Paramilitary Operations Officers". These officers are then fully trained as clandestine intelligence operatives, otherwise known in the vernacular as "spies".[8][/sup] The primary strengths of SAD/SOG Paramilitary Officers are agility, adaptability, and deniability. They often operate in small teams, typically with six operators, all with extensive military special operations expertise and specialized skills that do not exist in any other unit.[8][/sup] They are also fully trained intelligence case officers with all the clandestine skills that come with that training. These officers often operate in remote locations behind enemy lines to carry out direct action (including raids and sabotage), support of espionage by HUMINT assets, counter-intelligence, sabotage, guerrilla or unconventional warfare (UW), and hostage rescue missions. Within the Special Operations Group of SAD, there are three elements. These elements are Air Branch, Maritime Branch, and Ground Branch. Together, SAD/SOG has a complete combined arms covert military. Paramilitary Operations Officers are the core of each branch and routinely move between the branches to gain expertise in all aspects of SOG. [28][/sup] As such, Paramilitary Operations Officers are trained to operate in all of these areas and environments. Because these officers are taken from the most elite units in the U.S. military and then provided with extensive additional training to be CIA clandestine intelligence officers and SAD/SOG operatives in all these environments, many U.S. security experts assess them as the elite of the U.S. special missions units.[29][/sup]
SAD, like most of the CIA, requires a bachelor's degree to be considered for employment. Many SAD officers have Master's degrees and degrees from competitive schools.[30][/sup][31][/sup] SAD officers are trained at Camp Peary, Virginia (also known as "The Farm") and at privately owned training centers around the United States. They also train its personnel at Harvey Point, a facility outside of Hertford, North Carolina.[32][/sup][33][/sup] In addition to the twelve months of training in the Clandestine Service Trainee (CST) Program[34][/sup] to be a clandestine intelligence officer, Paramilitary Operations Officers are trained to a level of high proficiency in the use and tactics of an unusually wide degree of modern weaponry, explosive devices and firearms (foreign and domestic), hand to hand combat, high performance driving (on and off road), apprehension avoidance (including "picking" handcuffs and escaping from confinement), improvised explosive devices, Military Free Fall parachuting, combat and commercial SCUBA and closed circuit diving, small and in some cases large boat handling, proficiency in foreign languages, knowledge of how to constuct hasty or detailed disguises, entry operations and vehicle "hotwiring", Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape (SERE), extreme survival and wilderness training, first responder combat EMS medical training, tactical communications and tracking. These are just an example of the skill sets required

suntzu

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Obviously no one who has read this thread even knows what the CIA Special Operations Group is.

They are the most elite special forces unit in the nation.. drafting the best of the best OF the Special Forces.
having read that--I stand behind my comment that the CIA and its "operators" are a joke.

anyone can learn to pick a lock, kidnap innocent people, use rough interrogation, build and set traps and shoot--and shoot as good or better than the CIA "operators" and can learn to do it under pressure--the CIA just has an official stamp of approval on what they do--and do it behind closed doors and the government helps them to hide their crimes.

the only difference between the government and the "ordinary" people is that the government has an official seal of approval on their actions, while if the "ordinary" people did the same things the government did--they would be called criminals, and charged with every crime imaginable.

I stand behind my statement that the CIA and their "operators" are an utter waste of taxpayer money.

Aaron1124

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

having read that--I stand behind my comment that the CIA and its "operators" are a joke.

anyone can learn to pick a lock, kidnap innocent people, use rough interrogation, build and set traps and shoot--and shoot as good or better than the CIA "operators" and can learn to do it under pressure--the CIA just has an official stamp of approval on what they do--and do it behind closed doors and the government helps them to hide their crimes.

the only difference between the government and the "ordinary" people is that the government has an official seal of approval on their actions, while if the "ordinary" people did the same things the government did--they would be called criminals, and charged with every crime imaginable.

I stand behind my statement that the CIA and their "operators" are an utter waste of taxpayer money.
Riiight, and the fact that they are all ex Delta and Team 6 means nothing.

Aaron1124

imported post

Look fellas, even if you disagree with the tactics and controversial activities they've done, there's really no denying that they are trained on a very elite level.

suntzu

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Look fellas, even if you disagree with the tactics and controversial activities they've done, there's really no denying that they are trained on a very elite level.

I can deny that they are trained to an "elite level".

Aaron1124

imported post

I hope you're trolling, man..

You understand that SEAL Team 6 and Delta Special Ops draft the best of the best from the special forces? These guys are the Special Forces OF the Special Forces.

The CIAs SAD/SOG units hire the best of the best of those groups and then undergo the CIA training on top of it.

I guess you can deny that they are elite, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

suntzu

imported post

rodbender wrote:
SAD/SOG/CIA is not a complete waste of taxpayer money. After all,they gave us the Bourne trilogy.
true...but the Bourne Identity was better than the others...

suntzu

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:

You understand that SEAL Team 6 and Delta Special Ops draft the best of the best from the special forces? These guys are the Special Forces OF the Special Forces.

The CIAs SAD/SOG units hire the best of the best of those groups and then undergo the CIA training on top of it.

no, I'm not trolling.

The CIA is a complete waste of taxpayer money, as are their "spec ops" mercs who do their dirty work.

Once you leave SFOD-D you are a civilian, and if you want to keep doing the things you did while you were in SFOD-D or DEVGRU--stay in the service and don't go into mercenary status...because that is what they essentially become.

You do understand that the CIA was wanting to outsource its dirty work to mercs right--supposedly to black water/xe whatever you want to call it--they are still mercs.

There is not an intelligent person in the "Agency"....When I heard that the DOJ was going to investigate CIA interrogators for alleged acts of torture--I was over joyed. I'm hoping they investigate Bush and Cheney as well.

Aaron1124

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

no, I'm not trolling.

The CIA is a complete waste of taxpayer money, as are their "spec ops" mercs who do their dirty work.

Once you leave SFOD-D you are a civilian, and if you want to keep doing the things you did while you were in SFOD-D or DEVGRU--stay in the service and don't go into mercenary status...because that is what they essentially become.

You do understand that the CIA was wanting to outsource its dirty work to mercs right--supposedly to black water/xe whatever you want to call it--they are still mercs.

There is not an intelligent person in the "Agency"....When I heard that the DOJ was going to investigate CIA interrogators for alleged acts of torture--I was over joyed. I'm hoping they investigate Bush and Cheney as well.
So once you're a civilian, all of your skills, training, and experiences go out the window and are disregarded?

The fact is, no one here knows anything of what the special units of the CIA does. People can act, pretend, and think they know, but the only sources they'll ever get it from is wikipedia and their sources. I'm not saying that they're not way out of line with the alleged acts of torture and other extreme misconduct, but don't take away from what the truly noble operatives do.

suntzu

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

no, I'm not trolling.

So once you're a civilian, all of your skills, training, and experiences go out the window and are disregarded?

Ah, troll job. Gotcha.
nope, not a troll. Getting out but continuing to carry out PARA-military operations makes them a merc...I'm not against a merc--but I am against the double standard the government applies.

Don't get me wrong--I would like to see everyone who is an adult--at least 18 receive the very best training possible-meaning that it should be available regardless of whether you do or do not enlist in the military. The thing is--certain companies try to limit the type of training they will offer to "ordinary" people...as if the peasants are unworthy of receiving the very best possible training available.

Legal mercs who work for the government are generally allowed to use automatic weapons without having to comply with the NFA...they should be stripped of that protection, they should have to jump through the same hoops and pay the same enormous amounts of money that the average person has to. Mercs who work for black water and other such war profiteering companies are almost guaranteed to be exempt from the NFA..but an "ordinary" person is unworthy and has to pay a small fortune for the "privilege" of owning a class III weapon?

There should be one law applying to both the government and the people.

I would truly love to see the full repeal of the NFA. That would overjoy me to no end.

suntzu

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

no, I'm not trolling.

The fact is, no one here knows anything of what the special units of the CIA does. People can act, pretend, and think they know, but the only sources they'll ever get it from is wikipedia and their sources. I'm not saying that they're not way out of line with the alleged acts of torture and other extreme misconduct, but don't take away from what the truly noble operatives do.
truly noble operative? There is no such person in the employ of the CIA. Again--the CIA is a complete waste of taxpayer money.

The original question was:which was better...and I still say the best is Operational, active duty, current members of SFOD-D.

Private mercenaries do not count.

Bader

imported post

I haven't read this whole thing, but I was in the Marine Corps for 8 years, and I'll admit that there are regular joes off of the street who could kick my a$$ in a fight. Being in the armed forces doesn't make you a certified Billy Bad A$$.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Geko45 <go Google him> could beat all of them one handed, without needing to duct tape trauma plates to his back, and using only his left hand to drive the tacticle golf cart -- oops!- meant to say Mall Emergency Response Team Hybrid-Drive Assault Vehicle.

stay safe.

skidmark

rodbender

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
The fact is, no one here knows anything of what the special units of the CIA does. People can act, pretend, and think they know, but the only sources they'll ever get it from is wikipedia and their sources.
Well, then how is it you know somuch about it if it is so hard to find out about what they do? I suppose you were one or know one or you are privi to info no one else can get. Must be nice to be in such an elite group.